Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

my 19 month old wont eat anything other than beans, pls help

2»

Replies

• Options

Hi Choc,

Thanks for your reply - seems we are pretty much on the same track, although I think I'm a bit behind!  My little one also used to eat the Little Dish meals - but has now been refusing those.  He also used to be interested in the food on our plates whilst we ate - but now he's not fussed at all.  And he's also the same as your little one in the fact that he won't even hold a piece of fruit or veg! I'm hoping we haven't left it too long to start to get it turned around...

It does seem a case of having to be cruel to be kind, I am starting to worry that he's not getting the nutrition that a growing boy needs.  I know that myself and my partner probably need to make some changes ourselves - things like eating fruit around our little one - I've never been a big fruit eater - so I think I need to eat more of that myself and make it obvious what I'm eating - and enjoying.

My little one is a very clever chap - apart from when he is obviously refusing to try something by whacking our hand away or pushing the food away, if you're lucky enough to get it near his mouth, he 'tests' it on his closed lips - you can't get it near his tongue for him to even make the taste a deciding factor.

We will persevere with it.  Oh the joys of parenthood!

• Options
    Hi Baz

It's easy for us to feel guilty isn't it. I just keep telling myself I'm doing a great job with everything else and if we keep trying to introduce new food we will get there eventually. It sounds like you are a wonderful dad so you shouldn't beat yourself up. I had a terrible diet when I was going up (child of the 80s lots of frozen food!) and I'm relatively healthy now. I agree with you re setting a good example though, defo need to start eating more fruit with him.

Just read back over the other comments and one I will try is to blend veg into baked beans!! It's worth a try! Also I buy vegetable fingers which aren't great but maybe if I make my own we'll all be happy.

Goodluck and keep me updated with your progress

Choc
  • Options

Haha! I was probably the same during the 80's - lots of e numbers!!

Well, I'll do my best, will try and keep introducing 'normal' meals every so often - don;t want to push it too hard in case I put him off eating totally!

Funny you mention the vegetable fingers - he's wise to that now - he know's they're not fish so won't entertain them!

Baz