Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

No regrets on weaning early.

2»

Replies

• Options

I completely agree with maxs mummy and piglet. Neither of mine were weaned until they were 6 months. 

• Options

Is it a good idea to start my son on baby rice when he turns three months due to him having reflux he don't keep much milk down even with medicated infant gaviscon so would it be a good idea

• Options
    I can't believe you'd write such a sweeping comment Piglet76. How would you know individually what each mother is going through and what their babies want/need.

My husband and I are over 6ft tall, my 4 month old baby is wearing clothes for a 9 month old and he feeds every 3 hours. For the past 4 months of his life he has never slept for more then 2 hours at any one time and it makes him miserable.

I stumbled upon this post as I'm looking for advice on whether weaning may help him to rest more, not for a bashing about being a selfish mother as I am certainly not one. I cherish night feeds as I know one day my little boy will be too big to cradle in my arms. I'm not looking for an easy out at all.

So before you pen such a negative, mother bashing comment think again.

I wish I could be as perfect as you quite clearly are (not).
  • Options
    By 4 months my 1st was constantly crying and drinking significantly over the recommended volume of milk a day. My mum said to wean. I ignored her, being determined to follow the 6 months guidance. We were refered to the nutritional expert health visitor. 4 weeks later (this is how over stretched the HV was!) the HV came and told me we should have started weaning at 17 weeks. I had been blindly clinging to the "6 month rule" & not seen what was blindly obvious to my mum. All babies are not the same; my son is now 4 & the tallest child in his nursery- he still eats like a horse, but is a healthy weight for his height. 2nd time around & my son is under 2 months & already having 3 breast feeds + 8 x 180ml bottles a day. Needless to say I'll probably be weaning from 4 months & I do not consider myself selfish or stupid for planning to do so.
  • Options

Goodness, some of the opinions on here are so self-righteous. As an educated adult, you read the advice and then do what you believe is right for YOUR child. My older two sons (14 and 12) were weaned at 4 months...in fact my eldest started at 3 months due to having cleft surgery. My youngest is 12 weeks and will be weaned when my husband and I feel he is ready. Good luck to you all and happy weaning 😀

• Options

What an incredibly naive thing to say! It must be great being a perfect parent!

• Options
    I find it very sad that mummy's feel the need to judge each other in this way. For the most part common sense rules, mummy quite often knows best. I am in the process of weaning my little girl. I started at 17 weeks. She loves her food. and likes everything i have given her. What a terrible selfish mother I am! Oh and I also formula fed so am probably awful for that too. Support each other and give real advice rather than nasty judgement. That will also prepare you better for being a mum to a child with opinions of their own. By the way my daughter has no health issues and has never been ill so I'm obviously doing something right.
  • Options
    @piglet76

Thats a very narrow minded point of view
  • Options

Hey ehat was you feeding/ bottle routine. kayden is my first child and struggimg with how to start the process please help ! x 

• Options
    OK, so I literally signed up in order to respond to this comment. How, HOW can you suggest that Mums are doing anything but what they genuinely think is best for their babies? The information and advice new parents get on all this stuff is overwhelming at the best of times and when it seems like your baby might be doing something out of the ordinary or a bit early or late, then it is even more anxiety-inducing. The very nature of becoming a Mum means you will never be totally selfish again in your life. Even if early weaning was a choice to make life easier (not that I think it is - frankly it's a hell of a lot more hassle than just whacking LO on the boob) and that helps to keep a new Mum sane then that is just fine and absolutely their choice to make. Happy healthy Mums are better placed to raise happy healthy babies. As a new parent who barely sleeps for worrying about any number of things, statements like the above are both ill informed and deeply unhelpful. Please let's be kind to each other! This is hard!
  • Options
    It is a guideline guys. Just because one day your lo is 1 day before 6m does not make them any more or less ready to start weaning the day they turn 6m! You go with professional recommendations and advice, gut feeling,and generally based on your babies ability to eat!!
  • Options
    Hi my son was born 9 weeks early with a life treating rare condition he spent 5 weeks in intensive care and another 4 weeks in a special care baby unit it was the most terrifying time of my life. Thankfully he is home, healthy, and 4 and a half months old. i started weaning him two weeks ago under instructions from my health visitor and his dietician. If my son was born on his due date that would have ment he would only be 9 weeks old now. Why would two health professionals who have studied for god knows how many years, spent thousands of pounds to get their education tell me to start feeding my son who you (piglet76 and maxs mummy) claim wouldn't have a digestive system ready for food. for you two people (piglet76 & maxs mummy)

that have left disgusting comments on how OTHER peoples babies should be fed your talking b/s. I think anyone reading these posts should completely ignore the two people on here who clearly have no clue and clearly are not medical professionals!!!!! you all do what you think is best for your baby i doesn't hurt to get some guidance from a professional. Your all doing great as mothers just by listening to you babies obviously apart from those two

Happy weaning 🙂
  • Options
    So I don’t normally post on here but I signed up just so I could comment! I’m appalled at some of the comments of mummy’s being lazy for weaning their babies earlier then 6 months!

New mums and old need support in every aspect of being a mother and making those decisions that you feel a right for your child, and for people to belittle them and make them feel that they are not only not doing a good job but potentionally putting their child at risk “for an easy life” is purely disgusting.

My little boy is 5 and half months I started weaning him at 4 and a half months as he was hungry constantly and although it wasn’t the recommended guideline he wasn’t getting enough no matter how much I was giving him.

So I say follow ur child let them lead as they will tell you exactly what they want and when they want it. Do not feel pressure to do everything by the book as all that will do is stress you and your baby, relax and enjoy every moment of every stage as it flies by so quickly and to the Judgemental people I do hope one day u don’t look for support in someone and be berated the way you have done to others!

Your all doing a fantastic job mummy’s! Keep it up!
  • Options
    A doctor told my mum to wean me at 5 months. He said don’t give her another bottle. She’s getting too big and it’s bad for her chest. I have a healthy bmi by the way!
    My daughter is 5 months old, on the 91st centile and I’m struggling to fill her. I’m going to start weaning in a couple of weeks. I don’t see how 2 weeks will harm her.
  • Options
    A doctor told my mum to wean me at 5 months. He said don’t give her another bottle. She’s getting too big and it’s bad for her chest. I have a healthy bmi by the way!
    My daughter is 5 months old, on the 91st centile and I’m struggling to fill her. I’m going to start weaning in a couple of weeks. I don’t see how 2 weeks will harm her.
    My baby is 15 weeks today was 6lb 12 born and is now 15lbs 3 she is constantly having over the recommended 32 oz of formula a day as she is starving! I will be starting to wean her in the next few weeks so I agree 2 weeks won't do any harm! Good luck!
  • Options
    If it was so bad to feed babies at 4 months they wouldn't sell baby food for 4 month old babies. I started with a fruit dummy and she loved the taste and was chewing on it lots. So tried her on some baby porridge. She seems to like it I'm just letting her try little bits to let her get used to the taste before weaning her. But every baby is different so it's all just trial and error. Just enjoy it and take lots of pictures to show them when there older.
  • Options
    I’m sorry but if you were only supposed to wean at 6 months old why is there baby rice / porridge available for 4months +?? 
    My youngest is 11 weeks old and is taking 36oz of milk in 24hours! He was 3 weeks early and was breastfed until 8 weeks old. I couldn’t keep up with his demand so made the decision to formula feed. 
    My eldest was on 8oz of hungrier baby milk at 6 weeks old and was always hungry. The hungrier baby milk caused her severe constipation and I was advised to start her on baby rice at 10weeks old by my gp and health visitor. 
    Babies are ready at different times. I was weaned at 8 weeks and have absolutely no problems at all!! 
    I’ve already spoken to my Gp about starting my youngest on baby rice and she has told me to use my instincts, if I think he is ready “IT WILL NOT HARM HIM” - medical professional / previous paediatric dr! 
    What do you think they did back in the cave man days? When a mother’s breast milk dried up at 6 weeks? Left their babies to starve? They did not have rules, guidelines, gps and health visitors! They had mother’s instinct alone!! 

Happy weaning mummies! ❤️