Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

when to stop washing new clothes?

13»

Replies

• Options
    I dont wash anything new now because its so time consuming really!! I washed all new stuff up till Amber was about 3months she is 5 now, never had any probs her skin is perfect!

If I have the time then yeah I could do I suppose but not really that much point!!! xx
  • Options
    I know Katie - I will be sure not to from now on!!! :lol: wish there was a blowing a kiss one!!! image
  • Options
    It's not other people's dirt that bothers me, I have a child that screams if he isn't allowed to lick supermarket trolleys, so there's no point worrying about germ from clothes :lol: the reason I wash them is that new things are often covered in chemical finishers to make them look better and I don't like the thought of them next to lo's skin. I did use to wash all Millie and Barney's stuff seperate from ours, I used non-bio for theirs, but I've recently started throwing it all in together.
    xx
  • Options
    I did wash all new born stuff, but tbh - I quite like the 'new look & feel' of clothes - when I've bought a new outfit for myself I like that it looks so new, makes me feel good :lol: & as soon as you've washed it that newness is gone if you know what I mean? Charlie is 6 months now, & hasn't ever had a reaction & I do think there has to sort of be a cut of point.. he is rolling around so much on the floor now putting all his toys in his mouth - I think thats him telling me his immune system is not as vunrable as it once was, & that I need to let him build on that! Plus I have waaaaaaaay to much other 'real washing' :lol: to be getting on with, & trying to keep up with that is enough.

p.s I didn't think that craftyCharli meant any harm writting that - it came across to me that she just must of been in a bit of a rush also! image x
  • Options
    Dylan is now 7mths & i stopped washing his new clothes a few months ago! Although having read some of these posts i think i might start again?!?!?
    I do wash new things like underwear though - its just the thought of someone trying on a bra when they've had a sweaty shopping trip or knickers that aren't in packets & ppl seem to pull them about feeling the material (hope that makes a bit of sense)!!!!!!
    Sarah xx
  • Options
    ive never heard of this dressing or dirt thing and i only wash bedding and towels which are new. i would prob wash new stuff now having read this if had another baby but wont start now. as for the germ thing i too carry milton wipes for highchairs in public places but babies do need a certain amount of germs to become immune to things. bedhead lol i too have a baby that sucks on the side of the trolley nearly all the way round supermarket. my mum goes mad but it keeps her quiet lol its either that or a bag of wotsits!! im more relaxed about dirt and germs as she has got older as a newborn i was quite obsessive.
  • Options
    I wash everything when it's new - my clothes and lo's, just because i hate the 'shop smell' on new clothes, and especially vests and baby grows that come out of plastic packets, have that horrible chemically smell, and i love the smell of clean clothes. Having said that on one or two occasions if i've bought lo a new outfit that i want him to wear for some particular reason and i havent got time to wash it i don't stress about it, and his skin has been fine image x
  • Options
    Well all the washing is now done. Now got to start ironing it - If I can get away from BE that is - lol!