Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

RUSKS!!!!!!!

Replies

• Options
    I think computers and lazy parenting have more to do with overweight children than 2 weeks worth of rusks in the bottle. More sports in school, more parents taking thier children to activities if you ask me haha

As I always say everything in moderation. Clearly if your child was off the chart obese and a baby you would maybe think 'erm I might stop the rusks' but you would need to be stupid to get to that stage without realising.

I love how it always goes to an extreme on the forum (I literally mean haha) - its like - 'oh I let my 9 month old lick my ice cream' always comes out with a reply like 'well there was this study in outer mongolia where too many 9 month old ice cream licks lead to tongues falling off'

Hehe I am being sarcastic as I am quite laid back in my approach to things and really really cant see how 2 weeks worth of rusks is going to lead to a life of dentures and a dawn french figure. haha. I totally agree long term use is not necessary and I cant see the risks.

BTW I love these kinds of threads! haha
  • Options
    LadyK, I also love a good debate on baby too - no need for it to get personal & nasty, and no-one should get shot down in flames lol!

I do agree with you on the everything in moderation - and agree that 2wks worth prob won't have done any harm. Still stand by my posts though - I just don't think it's a good idea!

LOL though - one thing I will concede is that rusks are not as bad as arsenic!! :lol:

I am a bit of a bf'ing mad, nothing but breastmilk before 6mths, nothing too sugary before a year etc type mum - but I'm not a complete Nazi about it! My children are all older than 9mths now - and they have their share of treats lol!

StephS - I sincerely hope I said nothing to offend you and I hope you get to root of the night waking problems. My lo's had this type of problem at around this age too - and sleep deprivation is a terrible thing. They do come through it though - good luck hon xx

xx
  • Options
    I don' know if anyone else has suggested this (I didn't read all replies), but how about introducing supper? Maybe some toast an hour of so before bed?

I never gave LO rusk in his bottle and probably wouldn't have thought of it, i wouldn't mash up a biscuit and put it in my bedtime drink! Could the stirring be trapped wind? My LO at 9 months still got trapped wind, a few days on the infacol sorted it out.

Hope you find a solution, xx
  • Options
    In response to the OP I believe it is one of those old wives tales - it prob worked (like a bit of alcohol to get them to sleep through!) but is obviously not recommended for many of the reasons stated already. Don't blame you for posting the question though - lack of sleep is so tough, you feel you'd do anything!

I am one of those 'everything by the guidlines' mums (we do exist!) though. I think there have been so many genuine research babed studies done in the last generation that we should really use the information and let our babies benefit from it in a way thet our own mothers never could. My own mother and grandmother think it's amazing the amount of research based (rather than anecdotal) evidence we have now and that I'd be mad not to make use of it. Think of how many babies would have been saved in the past had they only known about the guidlines for avoiding cot death for example.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution to the nightime wakenings. Hopefully a tooth coming through or just a little phase.

All the best x
  • Options
    very good point happysmurf, cot death alone has dropped by 70% due to research and guildelines issued int he past 15 years
  • Options
    lol i love this forum...i HAVE given rusk in a bottle and it was fab, he was actually poorly at the time and throwing up all solid food but was STARVING so i did andddd it worked a treat, he didn't choke and i think it was quite nice on his tummy cuz he was very settled after it...my HV told me goodnight milk is basically the equivalent of a bit of rusk in a bottle and shouldn't be sucked into the crap they feed ya about it being any better lol x
  • Options
    Interesting that you think cot death is comparable to putting a rusk in a bottle.. That is like saying not wearing a seat belt and having a air freshner dangling carrying the same risk. OF course cot death guidelines are more important to adhere to than a rusk in the bottle!! hehe I love this forum!!

Stick to the topic ladies, have you tried? did it work?
  • Options
    Saying 'stick to the question/topic' is a little futile on here. The very nature of a forum is for debate and conversation to flow without restriction, and it's natural for the thread to take twists and turns, depending on what people want to say and are interested in.

I think the cot death analogy was a good one actually. Happpysmurf wasn't saying it was the same as using rusks, she was using it to illustrate the point about guidelines. Admittedly. there are one or two guidelines that I have not strictly followed (after considering the reasons carefully). but I do think some people almost go out of their way *not* to follow them! I don't really understand why you wouldn't follow them as much as possible - surely you want the best for your child? Scientific and medical research would surely be more persuasive than anecdotal evidence from Aunty/Grandma etc.

And my last point (image) - I really don't get people saying 'oh I was given rusks in a bottle and I'm not fat/ill etc'. Surely that's the same as my grandad arguing the case for smoking - 'I've smoked 40 a day for the past 50 years and I'm fine!'.

ps - Sorry Steph!! Completely swayed away from your question - please forgive me image Couldn't resist xxxx
  • Options
    pps - I actually don't think putting rusks in a bottle is that bad, haha, but from what you say Steph, your LO is not waking up due to hunger anyway so not really worth the risk IMO. I will shut up now. :\)
  • Options
    thanks for your input coco - have you tried it? did it work for you? I am glad out of the 4 pages of replies the OP has some replies to her original questions. Of course it is an open forum so once again I will say. Stick to the question. You dont have to, but you can continue with another unhelpful reply to the original question if you like.

ok while we are debating - whats everyones views on Euthanasia? thats to the point. I mean the obese children from rusk eating one day might have heart disease and therefore be put in that situation. JOKE!!!
  • Options
    Oh and just to add I dont actually think the rusk is the answer either (as I say we tried it, worked for 2 weeks but he is awake again now for various other reasons) my arguement is - you are not the devil in disguise for trying to do what you think is best or going to be helpful to you and your baby- especially when it something as unimportant and unriskful as a rusk in the bottle for a few weeks.

xxx

coco - love you really xxx
  • Options
    LOL, I Knew when I read that back someone would say that! As Coco said, and obviously understood, I wasn't saying the two were the same at all! I was making the link between baby safety and following research based guidelines.

As it happens, I was trying to stick to the OP in my answer but then also commented on what someone else had mentioned on the thread. This has been common practice on most other chat forums I go on (mainly teachers ones - now we really are an opinionated lot!).
    The OP hasn't complained about the conversation her post has generated, I always think it is quite a good thing to prompt debateimage People seem to be very well behaved on this thread actually and not 'having a go' or being judgemental at all. Most are just giving their ideas and the reasons for them - I really don't see the problem? I'm not on this forum a huge amount (mainly when I want to look up something to do with my LO and see if there is anyone is in a similar situation) maybe you all have different 'netiquette' here. Sorry!
  • Options
    Also, a different perspective (not trying to be holier than thou), it took us an awfully long time to be able to be blessed enough to have our gorgeous little boy and he will probably (unfortunately) be our only child after many problems in pregnancy. This probably does make me a bit 'fussy' about following advice given. This is only becase I really couldn't bare the thought of anything happening to him that I could have possibly avoided with a bit of research.
  • Options
    Also, a different perspective (not trying to be holier than thou), it took us an awfully long time to be able to be blessed enough to have our gorgeous little boy and he will probably (unfortunately) be our only child after many problems in pregnancy. This probably does make me a bit 'fussy' about following advice given. This is only becase I really couldn't bare the thought of anything happening to him that I could have possibly avoided with a bit of research.
  • Options
    g/c (although hoping its not much longer till im here again!)

Im not saying you are incompetant but If you do decide to give rusks a go, dont use too much and really give it a good stir/shake. Im not a neglagent parent but tried this with DS3 and he choked on a tiny lump of undissolved rusk & I thought I was being very careful. It scarred the sh*t outta me (& poor Tyler) and I didnt do it again.

Giudlines are there for a reason but you gotta use ur savvy too.

Elaine & Boys

38+5 xx

[Modified by: JunieMummy on June 01, 2010 09:07 AM]

• Options
    happysmurf - I agree it has been a decent debate, if not a little comical!
  • Options
    akalady - i do not get into 'arguments' on this site may be if you got off your soap box and read my post correctly you would have seen that I wasn't in any way comparing rusks to cot death the point was that research etc has offered a lot more information to mums etc which has helped, happysmurf was saying that her mum and gran think its great that we have access to such a vast amount of information and cot death is a perfect example of how this research has helped
  • Options
    Not tried rusk Steph but would try goodnight milk or supper however LO has dinner at 5 the bed bottle and bath at 6.30 so wouldn't fit in supper.
    I don't think you'd be bad to try it for a while see how you go but guess its more of a short term measure. Is there anyway you can up meals during day ? xxx
  • Options
    Oh dear moonbeam always someone who has to get offended and personal. Didnt realise I was on my soap box over the majorly important topic of rusks in a bottle but this can be arranged. I thought I was simply putting across a different point of view. Keeps things interesting.

I never thought you would be so silly as to compare cot deaths to rusks, that would be funny! For the record I think the cot deaths guidlines etc are a great thing and it would make a wonderful thread. Maybe not in a rusk one though but still all good reading. This thread has clocked up 500 readers so clearly keeping some amused, intrigued.

Back on track then. Anyone else tried it? did it work?
  • Options
    juniemummy - did you make the teat bigger? I dont think my teats would allow anything big enough to choak on to pass through. If it isnt disolved enough it cant get through the tiny teat hole. I do worry about choaking now LO is eating finger food etc, I panic more about large bits he might bite off etc. Fills me with dread!