Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

RUSKS!!!!!!!

124»

Replies

• Options
    I don't agree with adding things to bottles either, I think it's unneccesary and too agree about the sugar, why whack a load of sugar in a babies bottle? to be honest though it sounds like you've made your mind up already, I don't think what others are saying on here are going to change your mind!

But, in your particular case, you've said yourself he's not waking up hungry. so why on earth would you assume feeding him up a bit more before bed would make him sleep through? I think you'd be solving the wrong problem to be honest.

The majority babies will "wake" during the night, people forget this, babies will stirr, open their eyes through the night and often fully wake up, but once they're sleeping through, as we put it, they learn just to close their eyes, get comfy and go back to sleep. So the parent doesn't know that they've ever woken. Other babies don't settle themselves back to sleep and instincitvely will attract mammys attention.

So.. I don't think more feeding is the right thing to do in this case.
  • Options
    juniemummy - did you make the teat bigger? I dont think my teats would allow anything big enough to choak on to pass through. If it isnt disolved enough it cant get through the tiny teat hole. I do worry about choaking now LO is eating finger food etc, I panic more about large bits he might bite off etc. Fills me with dread!

not that I can remember hun (Im going back over a year) think it was just fast flow teats. It was deffo an undissolved bit coz I remember watching him wretching it out onto his tounge! It was very scarry and I just froze. I did a baby first aid course after that coz it scared me so much.

OP Im not saying dont use rusks - its totally your choice but maybe it would be better to mash it up into a bowl or make a porridge out of it for suppertime so then at least you can see what hes swallowing.

xx
  • Options
    Eeeek scary! When I tried it, I would have to let it disolve for about half an hour first otherwise there was no hope in it going through the teat. In all honesty it was all a pain in the backside and having potato in his dinner has worked better than the rusk. x
  • Options
    lol akalady it would take more than a website to offend me

Interesting that you think cot death is comparable to putting a rusk in a bottle.. That is like saying not wearing a seat belt and having a air freshner dangling carrying the same risk. OF course cot death guidelines are more important to adhere to than a rusk in the bottle!! hehe I love this forum!!

how else can you take this sentence!!??? It states exactly 'how can you compare cot death to putting a rusk in a bottle?? dont know how that could be interpreted any other way which is why i responded to say that no I dont think the two are comparable I was simply talking about research in general.

• Options
    have never used a rusk in the bottle. as i found even making up rusks in a bowl they were still quite lumpy and not like thick liquid at all. i know some people who used baby rice as a thickener. havent tried that either though. good luck. my own 1 year old still wakes up 3 or 4 times a night. nothing seems to help him. its exhausting and i do hope that one day soon i get more than 3 hours sleep in a row!!!

good luck x
  • Options
    Fair enough moonbean I was on a waffle x
  • Options
    Haven't read all the replies ... but

I would not give rusk in a bottle, it's too sweet to be in a bottle IMO.

But I would try it on a spoon as a kind of 'supper' is that a compromise?

TBH tho ur lo is having a good amount of food so I doubt he is waking because of hunger xx
  • Options

I followed all them guidelines 😂😂 and did BLW. But like i aways said every child Is different. Poppie was like a textbook baby good sleeper and good eater I found her better sleeping in her own bedroom at 6months. I never put rusks I'm bottle only milk and water.

Maybe he's waking at night just for a little drink try some water x