Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

rant - bl**dy quavers and pasties!

124»

Replies

• Options
    I never seen a greggs advert, i want to see tasty men on my tv, lol. I have been reading this thread since it started its well interesting. I have to agree that a little bit of what u like does u good but i am passionate about nutrition and want lo to have a well balanced diet. i do worry about when i return to work and she stays at mil because she already gave her a biscuit at 17 weeks!! i've already planned to write a well detailed plan of what she eats when and gonna make a big point about this is what she must eat.

btw cola at 6 months did i really read that - bet that baby doesn't sleep through!
  • Options
    OMG no juice or water??!! Thats terrible rebecca!(no offence to your cousin lol!) My mum drinks about 10 cups of tea a day and nothing else, come on, that's bad for her age (53) let alone a poor toddler!

I once had a long chat with a really nice girl in the boots baby changing room. She then produced a baby bottle of juice for her little girl (who was 2) I did think, OK that is a bit lazy not to bother weaning her off the bottle in the daytime, but I dont think it makes someone a bad mum...for gods sake its only a bottle, and if the juice is sugar free then it wont do any harm!
  • Options
    Non offence taken Tiger lily, she's a total moron. Her mum did the same with her so as far as she's concerned it's normal. And he lives on quavers and quiche and chippies! Love my cousin to bits but sometimes wonder if there should be a test you have to take before getting pregnant on common sense! xxx
  • Options
    Mez123...when I go to my baby group all the other babies are 8 months + and eating finger foods so they often bring lots of bits in like orange segments, bananas, cheese, and MILKYBAR BUTTONS (lol!). My friend always offers one to Gabe. I'm like, he's 18 weeks, he can barely eat puree, let alone finger foods!
  • Options
    I know there has been a few people saying that what is the point in not giving sweets/juice etc as what will happen when they go to a friends or relatives and are offered it there, they are hardly likely to say no are they?

I think that the point is that we feed them at home everyday and the food we give them as parents not only has a direct effect on their health but also forms habits that they may keep forever. If a friend or Nan etc offers them Ribena or Rusks or a greggs Pastry (God forbid! lol) it will be seen as a "treat" that they have occasionally and not have the same potential health issues.

As far as judging people on a glimse, everyone does it. How many of us like or dislike certain celebraties purely on the Glimses into their lives that we have? Also if we are regularly judged on our own behaviour maybe we ought to consider why that is?

[Modified by: MumDonna on September 11, 2008 08:22 PM]

• Options
    rebecca1985 - you have no idea how many times i have thought just that - women should be made to take a common sense test before they get pregnant! :lol:
  • Options
    Greggs pasty! That's outrageous!!!! image

... A pasty's not a pasty unless it's Cornish! :roll:

(actually I've not even heard of Greggs being a South West lass, nor cold tea in bottles - by gum it must be grim up north) ;\)
  • Options
    bless you joanne, you do sound like youve had a bad week, Like you I've had my fair share of people judge especially over the last year, Understandably with everything that has been going on Alice has been really funny with her moods and has had tantrums over the smallest thing and yes I have given in to her at times (shock horror bad mummy alert) but when people comment they dont realise that her daddy has been in and out of hospital and we have been under extereme pressure so that would explain her tantrums. Also Isaac is still not walking at 17 months and the amount of people who tell me hes too fat!!!!! He is not fat, yes he is big he is on the 98th centile for both weight and height but he is not fat, I even had some old bag the other day tell me if I let him out fo his puschair to get some excersise he might slim down, so I told her that actually he cant walk as he has a problem with his joints and his muscle tone which had f**k all to do with his weight and he was waiting for physio to build up his muscle tone and seeing a paediatricain so maybe she should not judge till she knew the whole story, to which she replied "oh I was only making a suggestion".

I think we are all guilty of judging at times but maybe we should take 5 minuites to see the bigger picture or look at aspects of our own lives and realise we are not perfect and at the end of the day we are all doing our best and bringing up our children the way we see fit. xx
  • Options
    Have to say I agree with you linzimc and really can't see the point of giving a baby junk food. I definitely wouldn't think those that give their lo's crisps and choccie etc are bad mums but, as i said, I really can't see the point when they don't know any different. I'm not totally unrealistic and realise the time will probably come when I will be nagged for certain things, but why not delay it when lo is more than happy with fruit and yogurt as 'treats'. I would also definietely avoid crisps as long as poss as there's usually alot of crap like msg in them (not all tho!)
    Also what's Greggs? Ive been living abroad for a few years and never heard of it. Is it a really unhealthy bakery or something..lol!
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a bakers...not everything is really unhealthy but there are lots of greasy sausage rolls & whatnot!
  • Options
    tea....in bottles.....in bottles......tea?

I think thats pretty much unheard of in scotland!

in saying this i used to get hot milk and sugar in my sippy cup as a child. i had it until i was 7 and these days i still cant help but to overload tea or coffee with sugar, these things do stick for a lifetime lol xx
  • Options
    it didnt really upset me, i think i was having a bad day lol. i dont think its right to give ur kids junk all day everyday but nothing wrong with a packet of quavers or a sweetie here and there.

i dont really care what other mums are doing really...its not an issue to me unless there child is in danger etc...

• Options
    ah I see, thanks tiger lily.x
  • Options

not saying it's bad my child has them occasionally too.. But you say about giving a child unhealthy snacks yet you give yours rusk? They are EXTREMELY high in sugar.. In fact quavers are probably better for them.. So are you saying it would be ok to be in a supermarket and seeing a mum give her child a sugar filled rusk because they come from the baby section in a supermarket therefore must be ok, but to give a child a few quavers is like the Devils sin lol.. Behave