Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

miscarriage

13»

Replies

• Options
    hiya helen,

hope your feeling better !!! nintendo WII oh dear !!! haha if your hubby doesnt come of it you could always slap him!across the head with it hehe !! .

I hope you can talk to someone when you feel low because what ever you don't bottle up.

Enjoy the good weather and hope your having fun with your nephew !!!

debs xxx
  • Options
    Hi Sian,
    Hope you enjoyed Ireland, I'v heard its really good. Everywhere I go people are preg. And all T.V progs as well. All the soaps have pregnant people on, it drives me MAD!!!
    The pain in my side has gone so it must have been everything getting back to normal.
    Night time is the worst time for me also, just lying there gives you time to go over things. OH goes right to sleep & I lay there for ages (luckily he only snores when hes had a drink, it would drive me mad all the time).
    I'm sorry about your friend it must of been a very sad day.
    Take care Love Helen:\)

Debs good idea about the WII, I'll try that one:lol:. I do have people to talk to, everone around me have been great.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Helen,

its been a wee while since last posting and I hope your feeling a bit better now, don't rush though, it takes time and just when you think you are much better, a little thing will upset you.

I have just suffered another missed miscarriage ( I had one in Feb too) and know exactly how you are feeling.
    I am 40 and have 2 older daughters so I know I am very lucky. I remarried and we wanted to have a child of our own. We were so excited at christmas when we found out I was pregnant and so hopeful when I got to 11 wks, only to then find out the baby had died at 8.5 wks.

We tried again after having a normal period and I was lucky to fall after another month. We were very scared and nervous, not quite the same excitement as before and felt very relieved to see a heartbeat at an early scan, where they thought I was 8 wk +5 days. We went on holiday to Dominican Rep when I was 12 wks and were delighted, as I was starting to show and feeling fine.
    We were devastated when I started to spot the day after we got there. After 3 days, it was the same, so went to the dr, who sent us straight to the nearest hospital (1 1/2 hrs away). We were devasted again to find out that the baby had died at 9 wks + 1day. They took me straight away to have an ERPC. It was not a great experience, not the NHS anyway. But they were all very nice, although not great English speakers, they did very well. My husband stayed with me overnight.

I have spoken to the Dr who has said that there is nothing I have done, and probably nothing wrong, and nothing they can do. He has suggested that we try again straight away because I'm not getting any younger. Which we will, but we will be scared silly.

I've taken 2 wks off work to try to feel more 'normal' again, but its difficult. I find I am okay in the house but when I go out to shops, I really don't like it. Especially during the day - there seems to be pregnant women and new babies everywhere! Normally I love this but its really hard to bear just now. I know that it will get easier because it did before.

So Helen, please rest assured things will get better. You never forget but it gets easier. Its true what they tell you, you need to mourn your loss and encourage your husband to do the same. My husband felt that everyone always asked how I was and forgot that he was mourning too. My friends now ask him as well, one even bought him flowers which was nice.

I hope that I have helped, and I hope to hear that you are pregnant again very soon. We can both keep trying until we get there!

Love and best wishes

Jac
    xxx
  • Options
    Hey Jacmac
    Sorry to read about your experiences, it must be very difficult for you. I bet having an op in Dom Rep was something quite scary. We went their on our honeymoon last year and I was really surprised at how basic some of their facilities and homes were. Were you in the north or south? We were at Puerto Plata, Costa Dorada. Personally I would not go back there.

I think you are very sensible taking some time off. What you have been through is traumatic and you have to allow your body and mind to begin to heal. I had my mmc on 1st June and did the same, had 2 weeks off. At least then in your mind you can prepare for a return to work and you have something to aim for. During the 2 wks I spent a lot of time reading about mc (as it was my first) and looking in to the link between mc and undersctive thyroid. I guess I became a bit obsessive during this time but I think it is human nature to want to know why it happened. It is only now that I am accepting I won't find out, it is just one of those things!

HelenNic - how are you?? Hope things are ok and you are managing to keep busy. I went to play golf the other day and am still aching!! Am making sure I do not do any teaching prep this hols am giving myself the whole holiday off!! No work at all....what about you?
    If night time is still bad, try staying up later and do something like watch a film or read a book. I now read until I can't keep my eyes open. Not ideal but otherwise I would just lie there thinking about things.

Right...enjoy the day and chat soon
    Lv Sian X
  • Options
    Thanks Sian, its great reading about everyones experiences and it really helps to share.

I am interested in what you said though - I have an underactive thyroid too! I wonder how many others have? They have said that as long as its under control it should be okay, I last had it checked in May and then miscarried in July, I don't know whether that is often enough in pregnancy?
    What's your experience?

Helen - I agree with Sian, try to read in bed - get a really good book that will grip you, Harry Potter is brill! I read 5 books on holiday, trying to take my mind off what had happened. Also, try a nice long soak in the bath just before you go to bed and a hot milk drink if you can have it.

take care all

Jacqui
    xx
  • Options
    Hiya!
    Many of the books I have read state that if your underactive thyroid is under control it should not affect things during pregnancy. My GP told me that the most common complaint regarding pregnancy and UA thyroid is the difficulty in getting pregnant in the first place. I did not have this problem as got preg the first month. I did not have my levels checked until after the mmc. My TSH was slightly raised but still within the normal range. When you read about all the hormones involved in sustaining the first 3 months of a pregnancy, lots are to do with the pitruatry gland, but I don t understand it enough to know if there is a link. Guess time will tell. However, the lastest mc book I have read clearly states there is no direct link between the two, so am trying to be positive and will be on top of my levels next time, will check them as soon as I get that BFP.

Chat soon
    Sian XX
  • Options
    Hi been away for a few days, seen family had a nice break.

So sorry Jac to here about your loss, I cant imagine how you are coping and having to go through it away. I hope your ok. It is true what they say about time being a good healer. I think about it every day but dont cry as much as I did.
    We'll try again after my first period. Lets hope we both have good news in a few mths. Look after yourself and your huby.

Sian you do right spend the next mth chilling out. I'm lucky I'm a teaching assistant so I dont have anything to do. I'm going to be supporting a little boy with autism in sept.
    I hope your feeling ok.

Its sad when you see other people preg I seen 2 today you think that should be me! I got some books off my mam I'm on my 2nd (virginia andrews).
    Love Helen:\)

• Options
    Hi Sian - thanks for your reply. I have asked my doctor to refer us to the hosp for gynae apt as this is my 3rd miscarriage altogether, my first was 17 years ago with another partner, and although the dr said they probably won't do anything, he knows it will make us feel better. My apt came through today (can't believe how quick) but its not till Oct, you never know I might be pregnant again by then (fingers crossed).

In answer to your earlier question - yes it was horrible being abroad. We had to go by ambulance to the hosp 1 1/2 hrs away and leave my daughter (almost 16) on her own in the hotel overnight. They did an internal scan, the gynae dr didn't speak english but luckily they had also called another dr in who spoke some english, she wasn't perfect but could get the gist across. They had all been called in cause it was a Sat night. it was weird with the guys who brought us in the ambulance and the english speaking dr and nurse all hanging about in our room before we went for the scan. After they discovered the baby had no heartbeat and only measured 9 wks 1 day, they had a brief chat, where they were amazed that I didn't have tests after the first mmc in Feb.

I was then told to get changed into a different gown and wheeled back to my room after being told that the dr would operate. There was no asking when did I last eat or anything like you get here - back in the room the nurse put an iv into the vein in top part of my wrist (very sore) and I was connected to a drip. After a short time, I was taken to their 'theatre' which was like an old room which I swear I saw rust. It was certainly not sterile or anything like we have here. I saw the anaethetist arrive and the next minute he had shoved his tunic over his normal clothes and was in the theatre. I was on the table, legs in stirrups with dr at the end when you will never guess? His mobile phone started to ring! Because he was gowned up the nurse had to fish it out of his pocket and put it to his ear to speak! You have to laugh because it is like something out of a comedy sketch. ( I still have a little humour left in me).
    I was terrified at this stage, but luckily the next thing I knew the anaethetist injected stuff into my arm and I was out! I just remember waking up when they put me back into my bed. I was given iv antibiotics and painkillers and fluids.
    The only bad thing, that I discovered much later, was that when they wheeled me back, the remains of the baby were in a tray beside me and my husband saw the. Poor thing was devasted.

But fingers crossed I have had no infection or problems. I only bled straight after and had very little pain. They gave me antibiotics and womb contracting tablets to take when they discharged me. We were left to our own devices to get back though - 1 1/2 hours in a old battered taxi on very dodgy roads, after having to go to 3 pharmacies to try to get the medicines. The old taxi driver was so sweet though, taking us round.

I have just started my period so that will get my cycle back on track. I asked the dr last week if we should wait a while to try but he said no, to try straight away because 'time isn't with you' - He means because I'm 40! I felt a lot better after speaking to the dr (well bubbled and spoke really).

I'm sorry to rant - it does help though.

Helen - I'm glad your relaxing. I have thrown myself into the garden the last couple of weeks and found it really therapeutic - at least I can grow something.

I went back to work today, which was hard, but I was really proud of myself for coping really well. I am not going to lie to people when they ask if I had a good holiday - I tell them the truth. Quite a few people know already and mostly it helps. I actually find I get annoyed when someone that knows, doesn't say anything at all.

Sian/Helen - here is hoping that we all get pregnant very soon - we can all keep our fingers crossed for each other at the same time and guide each other through what will be a very difficult few months until we pass the major danger zones.

Going to go now, take care
    Jacqui
    xxxx
  • Options
    Hi Jac
    I hope you and hubby have good news real soon, they say your more fertile upto 3mths after a m/c.
    Hopefully my period will come in the next few week, we want to try straight away. I want a baby so much, me and hubby have been together 10yrs but waited until we got married in march before having a baby.
    Fingers and toes crossed for all of us!
    Love Helen :\)
  • Options
    Hi I was wondering what other people were like after a D&C.
    I'm being a bit of a worry wart.
    I didn't have any pain after and was only bleeding for 2dys, but I had brown discharge (sorry TMI) which only stopped on sunday, it lasted nearly 2wks. Its gone back to normal now.
    I havn't had any signs of infection but I'm thinking stupid things.

Did anyone have to go back to the Drs to make sure everything was ok? I dont but would feel better if I did.

I'm just so scared that something will go wrong.
    Me & hubby havn't had sex yet, feel a bit worried about that, dont know why!

Well feel better now, hope someone can help.
    Helen:\)

• Options
    Hi Helen

How are you?

Just been reading your latest post.

i didn't realy bleed that much after my D&C don't know if thats normal???

I haven't been back to doctors don't think they would be able to tell me anything i don't already know.

Have looked at my diet etc though don't know if it will make a difference???

Cazz
  • Options
    Hi Cazz I'm doing ok, just been a worry wart about everything.
    I want a baby so much I'm scared I'll have problems even though I'v no reason to.

How are you?

I'm hoping my period will come in the next few week then we'll start trying again. I think no matter how long we wait I'll be just as worried so we'll see what happens.

I feel better emotionally, I was talking to my neighbour today about it which I couldn't have done just over a week ago.

Hope your ok!
  • Options
    Hey Jacmac - thanks for telling me more about Dominican. It was this time last year we came back from there, I was sooooo ill after a 'tropical disease of the bowel' from there...my own fault, drinking a cocktail made from coconut milk and rum that had been out in the sun. It has left me lactose intolerant thou...but other than that, no lasting effects

Helen - As awful as it sounds I kept smelling my bleeding after to D and C as was convinced I would get an infection...but so far so good. I bled for almost a week I think, getting lighter and lighter each day. I went back to the doc because of the cyst and he examined me and located the pain of the cyst...but have been fine after the op. Just trying to remember what it was like to have an af and symptoms leading up am due in a few days if back to my original cycle.

Take care
    S x
  • Options
    Hi Sian
    Hope your well and enjoying the hols.
    It's lovely and sunny here today, I hope it lasts.

I lost my sense of smell about 3yrs ago. Had tests, MRI scan but they couldn't find anything wrong.
    So last week I asked hubby to see if he could smell anything. Poor bloke the things he's seen and done in the last mth, he's been fantastic.

I cant wait to get my period, something I wouldn't normally say.
    I'll feel back to normal then, we can try and look forward.

Take Care

• Options
    I was exactly the same, could not wait until my period arrived! (never in my life had I looked forward to a period...but I did last month!) My 2nd one is due tomoz and then we are going to try really hard tc!

S x
  • Options
    Hi Sian
    I'l try when I have my first period which hopefully should be in a week or so. I think I might have ovulated over the past few days as I had strechy discharge( sorry TMI). So hopefully that means my period should come soon.

Who knows we might both have news at the same time.
    Wishing you lots of luck!
    Love Helen x x
  • Options
    Hi girls, glad you are starting to feel better Helen. I had my first period about 10 days ago, so felt better after that.
    My husband has been a bit funny about having sex though and I thinks its because he is scared - it is frustrating though, because I am scared too but don't want to waste time. I wish he would talk about it more, but I have to worm it out of him, normally after I get upset, which happens too easily at the moment.
    I've been back at work just over a week now and by the end of the week, I was tired, stressed and emotional. Today, I ended up in tears again as my boss is being no support this time. Last time she was but this time, she is just staying away from me and then when she does talk to me, she is being her usual stroppy self, she is quite unbalanced at the moment and difficult to work with. My colleagues have noticed and are very protective of me, which is nice.
    I'm sorry to rant but its just one of those days where I just feel like life is pants!!
    My oldest daughter is away working in Malawi doing voluntary work and I miss her like mad. She understands me!
    moan over - lets hope all of us have good news soon and we can share our fears at the same time.....
    take care
    Jac
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Jac, sorry your feeling down at the moment, I cant imagine how you feel going through more than one m/c. It scares me so much the thought of being preg again & how I would get through each day.

My oh went out with his mates on fri (first time since m/c) one bloke said so long as I was ok it didn't matter about him. That really upset him. He doesn't talk about it either, I think his best mate was a bit upset he didn't talk to him about it. I think they deal with it in their own way.
    We had sex for 1st time on sun, I thought after everything he's seen go on down there he wouldn't want to but it was fine.

I dont go back to work till sept (school hols), I think I'll be quite nervous going back & facing everyone. Your boss sounds like mine, she never really bothers with what goes on in peoples personal lives, she prob wont even mention it when I go back. Its nice everyone is looking after you. What do you do?

I had my first drink at weekend I was worried in case I got really emotional but didnt cry until I got home anyway. Oh was fast asleep had to go in spare room as I was crying that much.

Any time you want to chat I'll be here
    Hope your feeling better soon, lets look to the future and hope we have good news soon!
    Look after yourself
  • Options
    Hi, hope everyone is well.

I'm going out tonight with the girlies, first time since mmc.
    I went for a drink last fri with my mam & aunties but that was just in local, I did enjoy it. But I havn't been round town, I'm worried that I'll see people & they'll go on about it. I told my friend yesterday I dont want to talk about it as after a few drinks I'll turn into a blubbering mess.
    Also my friend who is 30wks preg is coming for an hr, I hope I dont feel uncomfortable.

I want to enjoy it while I can have a drink as when I get my af I want to try again. I feel like that is the best thing for me to do.

My friend just told me shes preg, it wasn't a surprise as I knew she was trying. I used to joke saying she needs to hurry then we can do things together, now I'v got to catch up tp her. I think that when she gets bigger if I'm preg again I'll cope with it but if I'm not I'll prob find it hard.

Well I'll go and do my nails I think make an effort
    Enjoy your weekend