Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

So expensive?!?!

Replies

• Options
    I am neither rich nor mad!!!!!!!!!! But i have paid over??600 for my pram. I havehad the quinny buzz which i fell in love with. I am 35 waited a long time for this baby and i beleive you get what you pay for. My parents offered to buy me my pram so i went halves with them as i agree it is a lot of money. I am fed up with people telling me what a waste of money it is. Maybee it is but let me enjoy it for gods sake! I really envy people that drive around in expensive cars but i wouldnt say they are mad or that the safety features are bollocks! Im sure your $100or ??200prams are absolutely great but dont knock us thatjust want something nice for their longawited baby x
  • Options
    I am neither rich nor mad!!!!!!!!!! But i have paid over??600 for my pram. I havehad the quinny buzz which i fell in love with. I am 35 waited a long time for this baby and i beleive you get what you pay for. My parents offered to buy me my pram so i went halves with them as i agree it is a lot of money. I am fed up with people telling me what a waste of money it is. Maybee it is but let me enjoy it for gods sake! I really envy people that drive around in expensive cars but i wouldnt say they are mad or that the safety features are bollocks! Im sure your $100or ??200prams are absolutely great but dont knock us thatjust want something nice for their longawited baby x
  • Options
    When I had my first lo my parents wanted to buy our pram for us, I showed them one for about ??200 but my mum took me to mammas and pappas (which I hadn't even heard of) and bought us a beautiful travel system for around ??500, with chassis, carrycot, carseat, pushchair seat and all the raincovers and changing bag, I loved it and it still looks as new...

I used it until lo was 3 and then it went into the loft, I can't wait to get it out and clean it for our current growing peanut...

I think whatever people chose to buy is thier choice and what it costs is not an issue as long as you are happy with your choice...

No one should feel bad or guilty about whatever they chose to spend on things for their baby...

xxx
  • Options
    I personally wouldnt get an expensive one my mum bought ours for ??300+ and we did use it alot but this time round I keep looking at it thinking I wish we hadnt spent all that money then I could justify getting a new one (the styles change so quickly) but Im stuck with it x x x
  • Options
    I completely agree Zoey! i'd rather spend less money on a pram and the rest on other stuff 4 my lo and lets face it all prams must be of good quality and well designed cos they have to pass all the safety standards etc
    xxxx
  • Options
    I am probably going to be using one of the ones I had with my first 2. I have 2 to pick from. One with a spring chasis and one with swivel wheels. I am happy to do that coz I know the history of them. Saves me money too.

I do think anything over 300 for a pram is madness, but that is just me.
  • Options
    we spent ??430 on our pram, and tbh i don't regret it - yes it's a lot of money, but it's what we really wanted and what we wanted when ds1 was born but couldn't afford, it converts to a buggy etc and when we have finished we will put it on ebay.
    i don't think it's fair that people are going on about people spending too much - there would be uproar if anyone was to start a topic saying that people spending ??100-150 on prams are cheapskates- because it wold be wrong to judge. :\?
  • Options
    at the end of the day people spend what they can afford.
  • Options
    Well we've just got our pram and that cost ??400 with car seat as well!!! I think what you spend is all relative - we are very lucky in that my parents paid for ours, although I know that not everyone is fortunate enough to be in that position. I knew exactly what I wanted, and was drawing on my Mum's 30+ years of baby and childminding experience - and I just didn't feel that a lot of the other prams (regardless of price) would have been what I wanted. As it is, I have a fab travel system that allows lo to be snug in a carrycot, facing me in a pushchair and safe in a car seat - along with a lovely bouncy ride, on a chassis with great suspension! So I'm happy and I'm sure lo will be very comfortable!!
  • Options
    Dear zoey 85 Can i just say i have not and i repeat NOT bought my pram as a matter of status . I am a hard working hairdresser who works long hours and appreciates every penny she earns. I bought the quinny buzz becouse me and my boyfriend both liked it it is practical easy to use and fits in the boot of my small car. I dont reguarlly spend a lot of money on clothes shoes handbags etc. but if i saw something i really liked and i could justify spending the money i would spend it. Although i would more than likely be in George at Asda or New Look. I would not go in a chat room slagging people for having to have to have a designer label for status. I would think fair play to you if you like it and can afford it then have it. I remember thinking once when my friend bought an audi tt oh my god how can you spend that much money on a car. Answer was becouse she could! I had a ford fiesta at the time and was quite happy with it. but she was my friend and i was dead chuffed becouse she liked it and it made her happy and she had the ??400 a month to spend on it and i didnt!!!! I didnt once think you have only had it out of status!
  • Options
    No problem babe honest we are all entitled to our own opiniom but just one more thing im not crazy or mental im in my thirties and fully aware i am never going to have any spare cash ever again but what i am is very very excited about having this baby . Good luck with yours too xxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi Westbrom1

I too am in my 30's and have been saving for a baby for about 2 years i.e. 10 months mortgage payments when not working and on maternity. I intend to get a bugaboo regardless of the cost because i feel i've waited ages for a baby and its what i want. It was my decision like yourself to save cash and feel i want something nice as a reward and thats what i'm choosing.
  • Options
    Hi vicchic
    Thank you babe nice to hear from someone else like minded. Blimey i go on this website to get support and give support and advice to people . Found it a bit disapointing that there are some nasty people out there who are quick to judge , think it is just jealousy. The bugaboo is a beautifull pram and oh my god even more money than the quinny buzz!! shock horror. You enjoy your pram babebecouse i dont know about you but i intend on using mine every single day therefore getting my moneys worth!
  • Options
    I would definitely recommend going to the shops seeing what pram you like and then go on ebay or gum tree to by second hand. I probably only used my pram about 5 times, Mabel is always in her car seat with frame which she loves and she lovers her baby bjorn even more I'm going to have shoulders like Fatima Whitbread lol.
  • Options
    Well mine was certainly cheap, got my Hauck 3 wheeler, barely used with carrycot and lie flat buggy, plus all the accesories inc attachment for car chair, for ??20!!!!! That was before I was even pregnant, from our local car boot sale last summer. Just gave it a quick clean up when i got home and it's good as new. Well chuffed!

There's some real bargains to be had at car boot sales, just don't be too proud to have second hand and you'll save yourself a small fortune!

Corinna x

(I'm one of those people who did a fairytale wedding & 2 week honeymoon under ??4K so I'm pretty good at finding bargains!)
  • Options
    this is going to be my first and i dnt want a big bulky one coz i use public tranport a lot, i have seen a nice basic one in mamas and papas for ??85 they come in 4 colours,the only thing is is that they face away from you and i want to see my lo lol

i have also seen a really nice one from mothercare but its just too much for me! xx
  • Options
    Hi hayley spirit I completely agree with you as I use public tranport too therefore I did buy a simple slimline pram to use as a bus does have limited space and hate it when huge ones are on there when you cannot fit anymore in! I will have 3 under 3 in july and yes this is my choice to use buses as I can drive but have chose not to since having the children as I was getting panicky for some strange reason!

I have a double buggy already so will be using that for my younger 2 when on walks and when i go further i shall use my single with my middle child with a buggy board attached for my eldest and a sling for baby! Got that sounds like something out of a horror film. Anyway I have gone of track but my point is that if you use public transport it is something you may need to think about rather than the cost or what a pram looks like but one that is easily fitted onto a bus or that is lightweight and can be easily folded?

I think maybe this thread has gone a bit off track with arguing etc and I agree with both sides that if you can afford it go for it, i personally wouldnt spend too much on pushchair unless it can grow with the child until there at least 2! I made that mistake with first and then she spent most of her time from 6 months in a stroller.

Hope your all well and I will apologise about my ramblings!! xx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev199pr___.png

• Options
    I had only been thinking about getting a pram that would fit in the boot of my small car, until my mum pointed out that when she has the baby the pram needs to be bus friendly because she can't drive! The compartments on the buses aren't very big for prams are they???!!x
  • Options
    We bought a great 2 in 1 pram that got everything with it apart from Apron where u cover the pram up when the baby gets older but am not too worried about that yet and its costed us 250 from toys r us, its got car seat, car base, raincover, but no bag but am not bothered about that as i got changing bag free from Boots

Cheriste xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    hi,yeh it quite simple and says lightweight,so hopefully will be ok, do all pushchairs sutiable 4 newborns have a lie down position? might sound a stupid question,but do newborns have to be actally lie dowed in a pushchair? you can tell this is my first, xxx