Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Booking a family holiday: share your top tips with ABTA. Voucher to win!

Replies

• Options

Always look at facilities if they have enough to keep small monsters entertained. Also when travelling I always look closely at swimming pools we once holidayed at a place that had a very deep pool with no shallow end was literally step in to over 1.5 m deep pool n no railings. 

• Options

Make up a little fun pack with snacks, stickers, a few crayons, a small game etc for the journey. Pack a full change of clothes for little ones in hand luggage. Don't plan too much each day, make full use of free facilities (pool, park etc) rather than paying for lots of attractions

• Options

As a first time traveller with a young child in tow I have pre booked my flight seats as im too worried about being separated on the plane from my husband and boy (im a nervous flyer anyway). I will also be packing an activity book for the flight.  I plan on spending time out of the sun in the middle of the day, but the rest of the time i reckon we will be in a pool or sea as my son is a water baby, so plenty of sunlotion, cover ups and remembering to get everyone to drink lots of water.

• Options

My top tips are :

1. Book as far in advance as possible 

2. Co-ordinate the time off with nursery or childminder - some places won't charge you if you give them enough notice or reduce it to half

3. Do all your research about equipment needed to bring with you - buggy, car seat etc. Some places will have companies that you can hire things for children - even sterilisers so very handy if baby is on bottles/dummies etc.

4. Be mindful of access - no point getting a great deal on an apartment if there's only one lift or 10 flights of stairs! 

5. Insurance and passports - I would also include EHIC cards but not an issue now with Brexit

6. We have a disabled child with a feeding tube so probably not an issue for most but the company that supplies the parts needed can sometimes dispatch abroad - it's worth checking with them where they dispatch to before you book. Much handier not to have to bring enough feeding supplies for 2 weeks and have them there for you for when you arrive.

7. Bring lots of bits to entertain children on the plane but Keep It Simple - don't get too bogged down with lots of books or episodes downloaded to a tablet. An empty wipes packets with loads of square of different material textures can provide hours of entertainment. I've heard the same for a box of cotton wool.

8. Book all your car parking, airport transfers or whatever mode of transport you'll need out there in plenty of time. Don't do it at the airport - chances are that will be exactly when baby needs a change and toddler has a meltdown.

9. Take lots of pictures and enjoy!

Can you tell I've been planning my holiday for 2018 already?! image

• Options

When our son was a bit younger, we always made sure that there was some sort of kids club available so that he would be entertained. We also tried to go all inclusive as much as possible so that we didn't have to worry about paying for drinks etc, kids could just help themselves. Definitely made life easier!

• Options

Download plenty of Cbeebies etc & buy some children's headphones before travelling for a peaceful flight! 

• Options

Use an online tool to see when the cheapest time to book in advance is (e.g six weeks or six months) to ensure you get the cheapest flights. Then when searching for lfights use the private browsing mode, or use a VPN, as companies put prices up on flights if they are specifically searched for a lot.

• Options

Do plenty of research. Find out about cots/highchairs/buggies. Allow plenty of time at the airport and pack plenty of snacks, drinks and activities for the little ones.

• Options

Make sure you buy and pack loads of high factor suncream. It does tend to be more expensive abroad so you want to avoid running out. Get slip slap slopping it on the whole family when the kids are really young as it will become normal behaviour for them and you’ll avoid the battles later on. Sunburn damage can never be revearsed. 

• Options

We go away as a big family group (up to 14 of us) so always plan our holidays around 10 months in advance, leaving it much later really limits where we can go. So my advice is plan well in advance.

• Options

Do your research before you book. Make sure you kknow how long transfer from airport is, how far away from beach you are, where nearest shop is. Make sure all transfers, baggage, meals etc are either booked or included in final price, as these can add a considerable cost if done later.

• Options

Have a look in the travel agents at the beginning of January. I’ve found some amazing offers in the new year sales! 

• Options

I find it much easier to book everything as a package. That way your transfers, hotel and flight are all sorted, and you usually get a rep who can advise you on excursions and other things to do

• Options

I always take plenty of snacks to have while we are waiting around the airport.  I also take some treats for the kids to have on the plane when they are getting restless, its usually a cheap game or something similar to catch their imagination. 

• Options

if you have a long journey to the airport. book a cheap hotel near the airport the night before the flight. the children will not get over tired

• Options

Compare booking through a travel agent with booking separately to bag the best deaL

• Options

Make sure that you have separate beds for older siblings - I don't know about your children but my 12 and 10 year old sons do NOT want to share the standard double sofa bed that many hotels seem to offer for children of 12 and under.  Also take lots of snacks/drinks for delays at airports.

• Options

First thing I do is check everyone's passports, even if I know they'll all be valid when we go. The next thing is to think about what everyone enjoys, my eldest daughter lives for the beach and my younger daughter enjoys the playground, so I try and find somewhere that is near the beach and has a playground on site or near by. Finally I make sure the resort I'm looking at does foods that everyone will enjoy, especially the fussy little ones ! 

• Options

Check online different prices and go if you find any cheaper then other but should be reliable and I would also recommend book earlier and when the tickets are cheaper to save time and money

• Options

For me a stress free holiday with a new baby is meticulous preparation and packing. TheN going to a resort that you know can provide everything.

few days before making sure we are checked in, passports, milk and money packed.

enough clothes for a few days but bearing in mind that everything can be washed.

favourite toys, sun cream is also a must.

but most importantly knowing that once passports and money are packed then everything else can be bought and that there are babies on every country!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions