Forum home Archived Birth Clubs Due in December 2015
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Due in December 2015 Part 3

Replies

• Options

I haven't had a call or a visit from a HV - not sure if it is normal practice where I am so I will wait and see and maybe ask my midwife when I next see her.

Swanny - where I live it is normal practice to see your GP twice 24 weeks and 31 weeks if it is your first baby.

We have Bepanthan and Savlon at home so I will try both and see what happens.

When should be all post our next belfie? 35 weeks?

• Options

Why does 35 weeks sound so near yet so far away??  It's half term here soon and when they go back I will be  able to count down in days lol 

Why does Christmas come round so fast?

Is it just me freaking out ????

• Options

Yeay Swanny...you won with all the J's!

My sis bought me a Cath Kidston change bag as a getting pregnant gift!

Personally I am a germolene fan, good on piercings because it a painkiller too!

No mention of HV round here so no idea!

Off to meet my anaesthetist in a bit...guess its to check im not too fat for an epidural but actually have no idea...will report back! X

• Options

Busymamma I'm a bit the opposite. My hv with Joshua was an older lady and although lovely she was very text book and by the book! This one looks mid 30s with 3 children of her own and seems really down to earth.  So we shall see!!

Squeak that's nice. What do the GPS do or check??

35 weeks does seem ages away but I guess it will soon be here!! I'll be finished work then!!

I'm freaking out a bit too so don't worry!!

Yes hadepop we went with the js 😊

• Options

Hadepop I had a phone call instead of a meeting with the anaesthesiologist, he was very nice and said as my bmi although high it wasn't seento be a problem as it would of been in the 50s as its in the high 40s/ 50s they begin to have difficulties with giving epidural s. This is also pre pregnancy bmi he went from ! So fingers crossed all should be fine for you xx

My first h/v ( when I was 18) was a dragon and by the book all the way! We clashed lol ( putting it mildly!) Apparently married moms were Satan's gift for idle hands ! And I'd had a big baby because I obviously ate too many sweet things and should diet immediately! She also threatened to report me to social services when my my son was given a bit of rusk at 9 weeks! ( by my mom!!!)  And allowed to nap in his pram instead of his cot!!!!

My mom made a complaint to the gp and told gp if she came again she would refuse to answer the door! Gp said h/v was traditional in views but was down for early retirement later in the year lol ( it was not the first complaint apparently !) 

So this is why I like the down to earth m/w and h/v, at least they try to help !

• Options

Supposed to be un married moms!! Stoopid phone !

• Options

Just met the anaesthetist what a bitch! Just because my pregnancy is going well I shouldnt think that the birth will too! Apparently because im fat I should have an epidural right at the beginning  & why would i worry about not being able to move because im so fat they will struggle to monitor my baby anyway so ill have to stay on a monitor led on the bed the whole time anyway! She then told me to lose weight before i get pregnant again...Thanks so now ive gone from feeling positive about the lack of gd pre eclampsia & that im managing my weight gain to feeling like a fat cow who should just ask for a csection because thats whats going to happen anyway...sorry for the rant :-(

Then at the end she poked my back and said she has no problem feeling the space where it needs to go...so why should i have one early then if siting it is not going to be a problem :-(

• Options

Oh bless u hadepop that sounds bloody awful!!! She should know having a baby is a happy time so certainly shouldn't put a downer on it!! And if there are risks and issues there are ways to say them!!! 

I know it's a lot easier said than done but try not to think about it and focus on that beautiful baby your going to have 😊

Big hugs xxx

• Options

Jeez hadepop she must've made you feel utter crap! Tact is obviously not something she excelled in at anaesthetic school.

I had a gp appt at 31 weeks and when I queried it with my mw was told that it's mainly for GPS to keep their skills up as it were ☺ was nice to hear hb again though and was useful to discuss my dodgey veins/get more gaviscon.

Must be something in the air as I am starting to panic last few days 😓 Think it's because of Christmas looming too which adds to pressure of getting things sorted.  Didn't get much decorating done and it's now on hold as hubby has important job interview next Tues (he's going to be made redundant at Christmas). So the house is higgeldy piggledy which is stressing me out!! Aargh 😋 x 

• Options

Aww hadepop what a bitch! She should get a refund from the charm school eh?

I honestly wouldn't worry about it x your healthy andso far so good right ? They way I see it ( for me as a big mamma) if I deliver textbook then fine, if I need help in whatever way that's what the m/w and consultants are there for, if I need to go to theatre then so be it....right now my job is to be stress free and concentrate on growing a human!

There is no way to know how any woman of any size will deliver!  And how rude of her to speak to you that way ! ( you obviously have the patience of a saint as I think I'd have answered back a few choice words of my own !)

And I agree - every procedure carries a risk ....even pulling a tooth fgs! But there are ways of discussing them !

Good luck Mr swanny for Tues x

• Options

Oh and there's no way I'd start with an epidural! I'd stick to your plans hun and sod her opinion, labour is a very personal experience for every woman so I'd do what the heck I'd want! Stick to your choices xx

( sorry for rant but its got me riled up!! How dare she tell you whatto do !!)

• Options

Thankyou busymamma!

I was so shocked by her attitude I didnt say anything!

I tried to discuss other options and she said they wouldnt give me them when i was just going to need an epidural anyway! 

I have calmed down now but I was pretty upset earlier! X

• Options

Oh what utter tosh! I have always been a bigger mom, average size 18 and only 5'5!  I had one delivery ending in forceps as baby was in wrong position - had a spinal block, my second was fine until I retained placenta and caused a bit if alarm loosing blood! But all ended okay x Three and four were textbook baby five was delivered fine and fast asleep (honestly! Needed slapped feet to get her to cry!) But retained placenta again and had epidural to sort out,  there is no indication with any delivery at the start as to how it would finish... You just go with it - hope for the best but plan for the epidural if needed, a spinal does the same thing but quicker! 

My point is how can she say you will need an epidural? 

I've always been told I can be as active as I needed to be during labour, I was constantly monitored with my last as she had bowel movement before birth and m/w still got me bouncing on birth ball and walking around! Didn't she know the monitor are strapped to bump so it goes where u go ! It's not always necessary to stay on the bed (unless that's where u comfy!)

I'd say she had PMS or something as she got it all backwards! I'd have a chat with your midwife too and double check the birth plan as unless you have been told to expect a particular complication or circumstances then you should be fine to labour however you want to xx

• Options

Wow Hadepop she sounds horrendous! So you know what you need to do - go in there and show her differently and prove her wrong. 

I am not overly worried about xmas etc as we have done most of our xmas shopping, we start early every year anyway and we went to NY earlier in the year so used that to get a lot of bits. Also have the whole of December off on Mat leave so that will give me a chance to get it all finished early. We have got tickets to take the kids to see ELF in London, going at the end of Nov though as I didn't want to risk it any closer to xmas.

My question of the day - has anyone on here had a ECV or know what they would do if they are offered one? I have heard/read some really awful things recently about them and I'm not sure I would go through with it. Advice if you have any would be great.

x

• Options

Thanks Squeak! Thats exactly how i've woken up feeling this morning...i'll show her lol!

I havent had an ECV and feel pretty similar to you, so am interested in any replies!

Happy Friday everyone...30 wks today :-) x

• Options

Ah Squeak I am soooo jealous!!  I wanted to go and see Elf!  However, when I saw the prices, I thought sod that! Lol.  If Joshua was older I would have paid it!  Plus I don't think I could hack London at 8 months pregnant, it was bad enough at 4 months pregnant ;-)  Should be good though, absolutely love the film!  One of my Christmas Faves :-)

Bless you Hadepop - you will show them!  Yay with the 30 weeks today - we will soon be in the single figure countdown!

With regards to ECV (I have to admit, I had to google what it was, I didn't know its proper name!) I have never experienced it but would be willing to have it done.  My birth with Joshua wasn't very pleasant and was rather traumatic (as you probably know!) they found out at the moment of wanting to push that he was breech, so my only option was emergency C section with me put to sleep to get him out.  When he was 10 days old I was back in hospital for 4 days because my wound had opened and got infected.  18 months after that, I was back on the operating table to have another C section (minius a baby!) to fix the mess they had made!!  So if I had another breech baby, I would try anything before having to go down the C section route and risk what I had to go through happening again.  The recovery was awful and the whole experience was awful!  I couldn't be a proper mother to Joshua until he was about 3 months old, couldn't get on the floor with him, couldn't lift him.  All I could literally do was feed him, people had to pass him to me to be fed or for me to have a cuddle and if he was crying I would have to shout someone to come and get him for me, so it really wasn't pleasant.  But then everyone's views are different, there is no right or wrong answer :-)  That's just my view, and that's only because of my past birth experience.  If I'd have had a text book birth, I would probably have a different view!

Whats made you think about it Squeak??

• Options

If the baby was breech I would try a ECV, and even if it didn't work would consider delivering normal with baby breech rather than a c-section. A c-section for me would be last resort, but that's because I live in the middle of nowhere so wouldn't cope very well afterwards for 6 weeks without driving Without help.

Also can't believe the anaesthetist with you hadepop, so rude! I dont think any labour can be planned out, and us being in labour should be able to have our opinions and options considered first! What a cow! 

• Options

Hi Gaeaf.  I would have liked to have tried to get him out, but there was a risk of his feet coming out first, which is dangerous for baby, hence the C section :-(  I have said this time I will be doing everything I can to not have a C section, but its all in the consultants hands really. 

It was a lot longer than 6 weeks for me, but it was definitely a pain having to reply on other people, I hated it!!  If you are anything like me you are quite independent and don't like relying on other people!

• Options

I am just trying to be realistic about all options - fingers crossed things will continue smoothly and he will be head down. The reason I thought about this was I had a friend who had one and she said it was the worst experience of her life. I also know someone else who had one at 38 weeks and their baby died 12 hours after having it and she had to go through a still birth. Out of my birthing class of 6 ladies 4 are currently breech at 36 weeks so it just made me think about it more.

The risks attached are quite big and the rates of success are small.  Hence why I wondered if anyone has had one.one

For me, I think choosing to have an elective C section that is planned if the baby is breech is different compared to a emergency one as you have time to mentally prepare yourself for it. 

Like I said I'm hoping I will have a natural birthing but just trying to explore all options. 

My palmers oil came today - thanks madeformums 

• Options

Hi ladies, 

I think for us witha wiggly baby its a case of wait and see, but after reading up on the process I think it would be a tough decision.

Is anyone else getting really really tired again? Last few days I have been really fighting it and have fallen asleep twice by blinking lol some times it feels like im wadeing thru treacle - hope I'm just a bit run down and a good sleep tonight will sort it but wondered how you all were doing with it? Is it time to nap or try to struggle thru it?