Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Training Challenge - 'Fear of Something' group

124»

Replies

• Options

Keep doing what you're doing.It all takes time.Even though Ethan's not telling you ,he's getting into the habit of doing his business of either kind in the toilet or potty.He's not afraid to use it or upset by it,and the rest will come in time.As long as he's going regularly it'll just become his normal habit.

As for accidents,Matilda pooed in her pull ups this morning,and we trained over Easter,so even after a good few weeks,it does still happen,just less often.image

• Options

UPDATE

Unfortunately I am going to admit defeat on this occasion and put Ethan back in pull ups for a couple of weeks and try again another time. Ethan has not really made any progress since I have started this and the last few days he seems to have gone backwards. We were at park yesterday and within minutes he had done a wee and poo in his pants and just stood in the sandpit saying nothing. He has also staring weeing during naps which he has never done since starting training. I am getting him to potty very regularly and he is also happy to sit on the toilet but anything in between is just done in his pants with no mention or real consequence from him. I am starting to feel really stressed with it all as it has been about 8 weeks now and my patience is stretched to the limit so before I lose my temper about it all I feel it would be better to have a break from the training as he is clearly not ready. image

• Options
    Don't be too downhearted, he will get it eventually... maybe this just isn't the right time to go pull up free.  I thought my son would never get to the stage where he took himself off to the potty as he'd realised he needed to go, but he did eventually!  Just keep calm and carry on taking him to the potty/toilet, even if he's in pull ups for a bit longer and I'm sure the penny will drop soon. 
  • Options

All that brummymum says,Chloeburg.It will happen,I'm not a fan of pullups cos they tend to slow things down,but if it takes the stress out of the potty training,and so you can get out and about without fear of accidents,then maybe that's the way for you.Keep taking him to the potty ,keep rewarding and praising his achievements,and see how you go.He's happy to use the potty,so keep that up and the rest will come with time.

They will often wet while they are asleep,that's something that they'll do long after they are dry while awake,whether it's nap time or night time,so don't worry about that.With my kids it's been another year of pullups or "sleeping pants" as we call them.

Concentrate on the positives,you're getting somewhere ,try not tot think of how long it's taken ,rather think of this is what we're doing now.Every days a new day.image

• Options

hi theoldwomanwholivesinashoe,

congrats! saw in the hall of fame that u won a bubbly!!! u deserve it!

update on kieran:

he is dry in the day and night! horray! he refused to wear his pull up/sleeping pants at night!! but he able to wake up by himself and go for a wee! of course, we have precaution, we lay a hippy chick mattress protector!!

i'm gald he done it but i'm so deadful to bring him for a wee! cos i have to keep looking for toilet and put my daughter on the changing unit while he go for a pee (baby changing/disabled toilet). cant get the double buggy inside the toilet, no room to move!!

does anyone have any ideas to stop kieran from putting/grapping his bits when he needs a wee? it is so embassing. he wont let go his bits and walk properly!

thanks!

• Options

Thanks Eileenimage.

Wow,well done Kieran.Day and nightimage.

It is difficult when you have to take them while you're out.I usually park the buggy across the outside of the cubicle door but don't shut the door while I take the older one in.Nobody can really see past me,but that way I can see both children.We're lucky enough to have a couple of pushchair friendly loos near us,but they don't fit my tandem.

I think all little boys grab their bits.I suppose he's just concentrating on what he needs to do.I think less attention to it,the less of an issue it becomes.They all do it,don't be embarassed.

• Options

My 33 month old daughter has been potty training for 13 days and has been dry during the day since day 5, EXCELLENT image

However for the past 6-8 weeks she has been waking at 6am(ish) to have a poo in her night nappy which has continued since starting potty training, until today that is! I had just got out of the shower and she comes in the bathroom saying 'big  poo Mummy' and I find she had gone in her big girl knickers image. She was very distressed so I remained VERY calm and told her not to worry and just reminded her that is what the potty/toilet is for. Once she was all cleaned up and dressed again she went back to being her usual happy self with no further accidents. 

After my OH came home she started complaining that her tummy hurt and didnt want to eat any tea. She enjoyed her bath as usual and had her milk before bed, but 5 minutes after being tucked in with her night nappy on she did a very explosive poo which I guess she had been holding onto since the mornings incident. 

I know when she needs to go but cannot persuade her to stay on the toilet to do it, can anyone offer any sugestions, I tried all the usual books, singing, stickers, treats etc image