Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Booking a family holiday: share your top tips with ABTA. Voucher to win!

Replies

• Options

Choose a location with plenty for little ones to do. A holiday might be cheaper in the sticks but you'll be travelling every day to get to the action if you decide to go this way.

• Options

Book everything separately - usually works out so much cheaper. Do your research and discuss as a family what your priorities are so that you find the best holiday possible.

• Options

Consider how far aware the hotel/resort is from the airport if flying to your destination, there is nothing worse than a 2 hour coach journey to your hotel.. super cranky kids do not make a good start to your holiday!!

• Options

City breaks near a beach have worked well for us. Plenty to do indoors (aquariums, museums) for those days when it's just too hot for the little ones. 

• Options

Well worth getting a European health card although not sure if it will still be available post brexit

• Options

Research everything from your hotels to the surrounding areas places to eat local entertainment making sure its suitable for everyone plenty of things to do x

• Options

Make sure you got through cashback sites, plenty of voucher codes online, every little helps!

• Options

Always try to book as soon as you can and shop around.

I also find that all inclusive can save money.

• Options

Book well in advance to get a good deal and you can choose your seats - always ensure you have a play bag with you to keep the little ones quiet and amused. 

• Options

Use travel comparison sites like travelsupermarket. Also ive used travel agents in the past although it can be more expensive but its easier to pay up for!

• Options

Make sure you do your research about where you're staying. Check what there is to do in the surrounding areas and how long it will take to get there. In my opinion, there's nothing worse than being stuck in the middle of nowhere. Make sure that there is something to suit everyone of all ages in your family.

• Options

I like to check everything out on you tube before I book, someone has always made a video of the hotel, attraction or villa before!

• Options

I listen to the recommendations of my friends as they have tried and tested different resorts.  I can get a feel for if a resort is suitable for my family based on their feedback.

• Options

Find the holiday you want - then research other sites to see if you can get the same holiday cheaper - then see if you can get cashback. Try a travel agent for the same holiday - they may even beat the price

• Options

Check everyone's passports are still valid for the holiday dates, BEFORE making the booking. I once had to do an emergency dash to Liverpool Passport Office to sort out my son's passport, which we didn't realise had expired shortly before a last minute holiday.

• Options

Book early and ask questions on TripAdvisor about the hotel. 

Always order baby things to boots at the airport to avoid weight of nappies jars wipes in your luggage. 

Take plenty suncream as it costs a fortune abroad. 

Search for free child places but also search full price as sometimes its cheaper to pay for the kids. 

Avoid school holidays where possible. 

• Options

Look around to see who has free child places as some have them for children up to age 17 Years but book early I would recommend January as you can find discount codes  aswell some holiday companies offer free seats together and inflight meals aswell but you really have to search hard or if you go in to one of your local travel agents they often give extra discounts to entice you to book instore with them which is what I have found the last few years as they can do price comparison and knock up to around 15% off whatever the price you find it for online or with other travel agents 

• Options

Before booking consider length of flights, type of accommodation you want etc so you get what you want. Prepare for the journey with activities and snacks for the little ones, don't forget to keep some for the return journey too!

• Options

Make sure the resort is family friendly if it's cheap but full of 18-30's getting drunk it's not going to be a great place to bring kids.

We always look for some where with a children's pool, kids club and play of family entertainment.

• Options

My top tips are, sending my husband multiple holiday websites via WhatsApp until he gets sick and Books a holiday himself for us and our son. This take a the stress out of finding and booking the best deals myself so I can spend more time looking at unnecessary holiday accessories 🤣🤣 (works every time) 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions