Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Winalot all the things people don’t tell you about owning a puppy: £200 Amazon voucher prize

Replies

• Options
    People don't tell you about the joyful welcome that awaits you on your return home, even after just 5 minutes!
  • Options
    Once you've decided to have a puppy discuss what breed would best fit in with your family and suit your family's lifestyle. Don't just go for a puppy that's 'in fashion' at the moment or one that's cute and cuddly now because they aren't going to stay cute and cuddly; it can be very uncomfortable to have a 10stone Rottweiler wanting to sit on your lap! Now you are ready to buy your puppy ALWAYS buy from a reputable breeder, failure to do so can often lead to unimaginable pain not only for your puppy but for your family too; not to mention the added expense than can arise too. 
    Be prepared for him/her at home before you pick him/her up. Make a list of the things your puppy will need and where his 'special little place' will be, just as you do for a new baby because, in fairness, it's pretty much the same thing, you are bringing a new little life into your family. The big difference is, your puppy is leaving everything and everyone he's known so it's up to you to not only make him welcome but to make him feel safe and loved. 
    A visit to the vet for a check over, any injections he might not have had and a chip just in case he decides at anytime he'd like to do a bit of exploring without you. Insurance is always a good thing too and remember there are more and more unscrupulous people out there who might just take a liking to your new treasure so make sure he's kept secure.  Lastly, remember what you put into him and not just in terms of food but, in training, love and care he will reward you with ten fold not only in being a good companion but, a friend who brings happiness and gives love unconditionally, a protector and a  wonderful confidant, they never tell your secrets!
  • Options
    Knew the first couple of weeks would be hard to adjust to having a pup at home,  but waking up every 2 hours overnight to check her and toilet breaks. 

Worrying about her putting on weight,  losing her teeth,  mixing with other dogs the list goes on

But the unconditional love and my constant shadow,   I feel I have a purpose she has helped me through some very difficult times 
  • Options
    Zoeeyy00Zoeeyy00 Regular
    edited Aug 29, 2021 6:01AM

Noone tells you about the sleepless nights,  the constant worry about are they healthy,  putting on weight,  nice to people and other dogs.

The toilet training and spending all time outside and yet still wee inside.

But the unconditional love is amazing,   I feel I have a purpose now and she has helped me through difficult loss where my mental health didnt suffer due to our fur ball 

She is the best thing in our lives 
  • Options
    How hard it is to find a good quality food that they like, and the actual amount they need to be fed so as not to gain weight. Also that tooth brushing is really important! Start young! :smiley:
  • Options
    Be prepared to fall in love because those soulful eyes reach right to your heart.  
    Being strict with them is very hard but important if you want to have a well behaved dog, they just want to please so if they know the boundaries they will get there.  Consistency and routine is really important and that is by all members of the family.
    Exposing them to as many different experiences, environments, people and other animals as early as possible will help them accept them as normal.
    There will be lots of times it will 'go wrong' but keep persevering, trying to ignore the bad behaviour but giving lots of positive reinforcement for the behaviours you want.
    Be prepared for lots of heartbreak too but they will be your best friend ever.

• Options
    We bought two puppies - how hard can it be ..... Very hard but omg so rewarding and has improves my mental health has not only lost both parents jut also our family dog Zeus. Well worth going back to having a toy cluttered home and having to get up early doors.
  • Options
    They are extremely needy and need constant training in the first few months
  • Options

Hello.

Winalot would love you tell them all the things people don’t tell you about owning a puppy, and you could win a £200 Amazon voucher for telling them.

Winalot say “We’re so excited to be launching our new puppy pouches, made with selected natural ingredients and 100% complete and balanced. It's the food that generations of dogs have grown up with, because day after day, it never fails to hit the spot. After all it’s a dog’s life!”

To be in with a chance of winning the £200 Amazon voucher, scroll to the text box at the bottom of this thread, and tell Winalot all the things people don’t tell you about owning a puppy. If you wanted to share a picture of your pup too, Winalot would love that.

Everyone who posts and answers the question fully, will be entered into a prize draw to win the £200 Amazon voucher.

We'll keep this thread open until 31/08/21, and we'll announce the winner's name a few days later.

This discussion is sponsored by WinalotPlease note that comments and pictures you post here may be used by Winalot in future marketing and advertising material. See full Ts&Cs here

You should research breeds  before  choosing a puppy all breeds have different requirements , KNOW it's a lifetime commitment . Make sure you're ready to stay up the night you bring your puppy home ,they are as needy as babies , ..its best to consider all of the implications of owning a dog . If you go on holiday Where will your pup stay ? Will you take them with you .? 

Can you afford Vets Fees , yearly vaccination costs  , Insurance payments . Are you willing to pay to attend classes if your dog needs training ?
    Most importantly Do you have the time . If you work 8 hours a day who is caring for the dog while you're not home .

If you can answer all of the questions then it's the time to look .ive recently adopted mother and daughter aged 5&6 ( daughter below) these girls could live for another 1
  • Options
    The sleepless nights
  • Options
    Nobody tells you that a puppy will steal your heart in exactly the way a child will.  Nobody says about the sleepless nights, wee all over the floor, walks at will, chewed up clothes and furnishings, huge vet bills or extortionate insurance, or that one flash of those big brown eyes will melt your heart and make up for everything 
  • Options
    No-one tells you that it is equally as hard as raising a child. You don’t realise they will cry at night and get you up at silly-o-clock in the morning. You don’t quite realise that there will be just as many wee clear-ups as baby nappy changes! And they don’t tell you that like your own children, you will fall head over heels in love with them! 
  • Options
    They are amazing (I wouldn’t be without our dog now) but so tying. The first question we ask before going anywhere is ‘what are we doing with the dog?’. 
  • Options
    Puppies are so cute and loving, but it is like having another baby in the family. They are hard work and a tie when you want to do the simpilist things. You never know what traits your dog will have, our dog doesn't like being left alone, so we have to arrange for someone to be with her all the time. This is our lovely dog with her toy 
  • Options
    My 40 year old son and his girlfriend recently got a puppy. They don't have children and he's shocked by how much it's restricted their social life. Everything revolves around the pup now! 
  • Options
    That you will never go to the toilet alone again :lol:

That "puppy proofing" your house is even more intense than "toddler proofing"

That you will get reacquainted with sleepless nights

That they will both improve and restrict your social life!

That you never thought you could love something furry so much

• Options
    Its like having a baby and toddler all at once!

Mine hates her own bed, she will lay anywhere other than her bed!
  • Options
    Sometimes you will love them more than your children #tantrums 
  • Options
    When we got our puppy, I wish I’d known how similar it was to having a toddler! They are up through the night and need constant supervision and entertaining. But the love you feel is out of this world and it’s all feels completely worth all the hard work. 
  • Options
    Getting a puppy is a lot like having a new baby - fair bit of work and mess! But it is so worth it for all the love and companionship!
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions