Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Winalot about the life lessons you've learnt from having your beloved dog: £200 voucher prize!

Replies

• Options
    1. Live in the present, and put your mobile down! Humans spend so much time worrying about the past and the future, much of which we have no control over. Be more dog and learn to squeeze every last drop of enjoyment out of the now.
    2. Dogs don't care about your looks, or your job, or your designer interiors. They care about people being kind, generous and understanding. Smart pups.
    3. If a dog needs something they tell you straight. No apologising, no hoping others will guess, no worrying about how others will judge them. "I need water", simple.
  • Options
    having a dog when we were growing up was lovely, it teaches you how to care for something and gives unconditional love, a great experience for anyone
  • Options
    I never knew unconditional love until I got my dog. She gives so much love and loyalty and makes me smile. On days I have struggled with life she has motivated me to go out in the fresh air and I be there for her as she is for me 
  • Options
    The life lessons I've learned from the many dogs who've shared my life are patience, which is much needed on days a dog decides to be selectively deaf, or when they are taking forever to be house-trained; to live in the moment . . . there's no point giving a dog a row for something they did while you were out, for instance, as the dog forgot about that almost as soon as they finished doing it and wouldn't understand why they were in disgrace. Love unconditionally .... dogs can break your heart when you see them desperately trying to get love from some horrible owner who mistreats them - but the dog still loves them. Don't judge others ... dogs don't care what colour your skin is, or what "social class" you are or whether you're a Mensa candidate or didn't manage a single "O" level. They treat you as they would anyone else in the same circumstances. (I could go on all evening, but I think my fingers would tire of typing!)

My current pack are 2 dogs and 2 bitches - all neutered - whom I love trillions. Monty's a VERY hairy Chinese Crested Hairless Dog; Maisie is a chestnut JRT; Rory's a chihuahua x JRT and last but not least, Isla who's a little fawn chihuahua.
  • Options
    Our Sprocker Spaniel Harvey is a focal point of our family as we do nearly everything with him. I have a number of health issues and Harvey has been my constant companion keeping my spirits up when in pain and also taking my mind off it. He’s kept me moving even though it’s been very difficult at times and has been happy to cuddle in when I’ve needed to rest. Harvey is just so adaptable to all our needs - playing with my husband and son, taking my husband for walks! and loving time at our caravan at weekends. We would do anything for our precious pooch and we know he would do anything for us. Our love is equal and endless! 

• Options
    Love unconditionally, loyalty is a gift. love hard cause life is too short
  • Options
    this big bundle of love has taught me patience, passion, and power. She came to me as a 5 week old baby with severe food aggression and other issues, we have worked together hard, trained hard and loved hard. She is my children's best friend, my small animals guardian, my big love pup. I have never had a dog before in my life and I never wanted one but she is perfect.
  • Options
    My puppy has shown that however much shit It get I can cope
  • Options
    Our Zeke is the baby of the family everyone fusses over him especially the nanas when they come over and my mum hates dogs! Yet she always brings him treats!! 
    Our boy is everything to us he's such a loving loyal amazing dog always puts a smile on our faces especially after a long hard day the minute we walk through the door these howling with excitement to see us and covers us in doggy kisses it lights up the darkest days with his goofyness he loves to play ball and destroy any rope toys he gets 
    Zeke is super funny he eats like a human when we gave him carrots which he loves he holds it in his paws and nibbles on it! It's so funny to watch also he is the master of yoga his sleeping positions are hilarious! And he has to be touching me when he lays at my feet or has his nose or head behind me 
    Zeke brought out so much confidence in our daughter she was always wary and scared of any dog and being bullied at school was the worst zeke brought her so much companionship and helped her through it alot he knows when she's sad and never fails to pick her up 

• Options
    We had 2 dogs they loved playing in the garden they loved children they were very naughty sometimes one called Biskit the other called Jasper Jasper sadly died but we have lots of good memories of him we still. Have biskit I think he misses jasper.
  • Options
    The most important lesson we learned from 14 years with this lovely girl was to appreciate the little things. A walk is good for you, enjoy the sunshine in the garden, it's good to run around and flop on the grass and always appreciate those in your life.

• Options

I relocated to the countryside to live on my own with my beloved young Spaniel Jester. I had a small enclosed garden which was perfect to allow him out in between our long countryside walks. 

However Jester quickly learned to unlatch my rickety garden gate and he would be off. Fortunately he never did any damage but he used to like chasing birds, sometimes I would be seen running across several fields trying to catch him.

Although I was new to the area very quickly Jester and I became known locally. If I wasn’t spotted running after him or calling his name I’d be knocking on neighbours doors embarrassingly asking if they’d seen him. 

It wasn’t very long before I knew almost everyone in the village and Jester became something of a local celebrity. 

I couldn’t afford a new gate so tried various methods to secure it. I was distraught one day when having secured it for the umpteenth time, this time with bailer cord, Jester somehow still managed to untie it and escape. 

A local young farmer recognised him bought him back to me. He thought it was hilarious and was so kind. He offered to properly fix my gate and replaced the latch to make it Jester proof. We have become firm friends ever since.

Life Lessons that Jester taught me are, that even the most mischievous dogs give you endless love and companionship and are definitely worth any amount of trouble (although I probably wouldn’t have said that whilst running across a rain sodden field in my dressing gown on a dark evening!) 

Jester made me more friends than I would ever have made alone. He also helped me become part of a community. 

• Options
    My dog has taught me to enjoy the simple things in life like walking and enjoying my surroundings She has taught me not to worry and live close to nature and nature would take care of me. My dog has taught me that love is everything as material things are temporary. My dog has taught me to relax tolerance patience and humbleness My dog most of all taught me to rest play and enjoy life.
  • Options
    His general easy going nature means I can learn how to relax. 
  • Options
    My parents got a Dalmation soon after getting married and me being born so we grew up together.  I learned about having a good friend and playmate and sadly also about how hard it is when your friend dies!  He was called Critter and was such a big lovable dopey gentle dog!
  • Options
    Pets teach us about unconditional love and support
  • Options
    Always choosing to adopt a rescue dog instead of buying a puppy from a breeder, the first thing which comes to mind when considering what my dogs have taught me, is patience, dedication and understanding.
    Our first dog as an adult was a little pup who had been found abandoned in a field and was believed to be barely 5 weeks old by the Rescue Centre. Immediately requiring treatment for mange and needing to be fed every 3 hours day and night, we were warned that the little mite may not survive. However, Megan grew into a strong, healthy and rather large German Shepherd X Lurcher and lived until she was almost 14 years old. She taught my children about kindness and the pain of loss, as losing her was the first time that they had experienced the sting of grief. 
    The second rescue dog we adopted was Pep. A glorious German Shepherd, she was 18 months old but had been rehomed 5 times in her short time. Fur full of knots and dangerously underweight, she needed lots of patience to learn to trust us. It took months to encourage her to walk a short way from the house, and it was explained to us by an Animal Behaviourist, that it was likely she was frightened that she would not be returning home. In time, Pep was the most calm, people friendly dog. She adored our new grandchild and taught her to be kind and gentle with animals, something which is still apparent today. Sadly, Pep developed cancer at just 8 years old and her death was my Granddaughter's first experience of loss.
    Our current girl called Mavis, was rescued from the streets of Romania. Nervous in new situations, the sweet girl who is now about 8 years old, needs so much patience and understanding. Quiet and timid, she still hides under a coffee table if anyone new enters the house, but adores people that she knows. For safety, I cannot let her off of her lead when out for a walk, as a new dog entering the same field even at a distance, sends her high-tailing to her home. As I suffer from anxiety, I can totally understand her, but the times when she overcomes her anxiousness and makes a new friend, my heart swells. She has taught me bravery and trying one's best to overcome fear.

• Options
    since getting Luna last year she has taught the kids all about responsibility. From feeding, walking time, cleaning up the poop and general care. Plus the love makes up for all the hard work required
  • Options
    Live every day to its fullest.And lots of treats and naps!
  • Options
    Our latest rescue dog, let’s call him FurFace, was brought over from Romania. That family sadly then split and he needed rehoming again so we took him in. We knew he had issues but he has proven to be the most clever, loyal and hilarious dog we’ve ever had the pleasure of sharing our home with. Life lessons - with him it’s been patience, us acquiring world class patience, understanding that he is his own boss. We may not be able to help him conquer all his fears but we will all have fun together while we try, inch by inch, and that’s ok.

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions