Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

KWA Part 16 - The return of "I want a BFP before Xmas"

Replies

• Options
    Evening Ladies image

Flo so glad all is going well with Charlie, hope you all enjoyed swimming image

CW I hope the nursery is going well, the marble cake went very quickly I'm afraid! Excited to find out your name choice when baby B arrives.

Sue yay for getting a flat sorted. I hope your ms doesn't keep you up every night.

Clalee I hope you can sort something out for after bubs arrives. Sounds like hubs is expecting a bit much with some things. I hope he makes his family aware that you won't be running around after them.

Rachey I hope the ms isn't too bad. Yay for your ticker being an orange. My arm felt bruised for a few days after my flu jab, I kept knocking it on things by accident too :roll:

Squeezed the midwife led birth suite sounds rather good. The house warming sounded fun, love that your mum put your mil in her place!

LiB hope you got the furniture sorted, I hate being kept on hold for ages, it makes me really mad.

Sorry this is a bit of a lame catch up. Had a busy few days, it was our wedding anniversary over the weekend and it was lovely spending time together. Going back to work was a shock to the system though, stressed doesn't cover it :roll: Hope its not affecting our chances this month as I thought we had it covered pretty well. Looking forward to the weekend now image

xx
  • Options
    Morning ladies,

Just a quick one from me. Spotted on Living Social (bit like groupon) that they're doing a deal on boots points. You buy a ??5 voucher to spend on treat street and get ??15 worth of boots points!

Here's the link to sign up and then it'll take you to the deal.

https://livingsocial.com/deals/143401?ref=conf-jp&rpi=32489641 x
  • Options
    HI ladies- sorry I have not had a moment. Have noticed the bf chat though and wanted to share.

Noah could not latch on at all at first. He was hungry, frustrated and cross. I had to squeeze the few drops I could into his mouth and I felt so rubbish about it. Midwife said I was doing everything right and to just keep trying- not to express.

My milk came in big sylee on day 3 and boobs were huge painful and dripping down my arm. I called the BF helpline who said I MUST express to keep up the supply but not to use a bottle or he would not take to the breast give it on a spoon image

Well after a few abandoned attempts I gave him a bottle of expressed milk and tried nipple shields to get a latch. It worked and he was finally feeding.

Midwife came again and told me to stop using the shields. Which I tried but no latch and hungry Noah again.

I ended up calling a lactation consultant to come. She helped me to latch without the shields and told me to let him stay on as long as he wanted.

He then started taking 2hour feeds.... image My nipples were so sore and he kept on throwing up blood from them.

So against all advice I am limiting his time on the breast image and giving him a dummy after image if he still wants the comfort of something to chew on (that is not my nipple) If I express I give it to him in a bottle image but he hates the bottle and much prefers the breast!

Bad bad mother according to all the advice, but he is finally feeding, gaining weight and is happy, and my boobs are starting to heal.

What I am trying to say is go with your instinct and ignore everyone else. Just nod and smile and do your own thing!

Also- pillows are useless. I love this http://www.mybrestfriend.com/ you can get on amazon and really saves your back
  • Options
    Oooh sorry meant to say- Sue I am completely thrilled for you. Congratulations xxxxx
  • Options
    Your baby is being fed and looked after, which doesn't make you a bad mother! Better this way than a hungry baby and poorly, frustrated mummy. Why do they advise against nipple shields?? If it helps it's got to be good!
  • Options
    Wifey, good on you getting breast milk into Noah, doesn't matter how he takes it! As long as he's happy and gaining weight the midwives shouldn't tell you to do it any other way! x
  • Options
    Well done on the BF that sounds like a challenge but you have done SO WELL! I must admit I am SO determined to BF but have concerns that I wont be able to do it and ahh! We have a few bottles for later on expressing, a manual pump - bargain, didnt want to invst in an electric one just in case, will do so later on if needed! We are getting some formula in just in case though I have fears of a starving screaming baby and me not being able to feed and us all getting upset etc so have looked into and decided on Aptamil. But I am obsessed with BF i so want to do it, worried I am setting myself up for a fall?!!

Also i mentioned last week the MW said my baby seems 2 weeks ahead and mentioned c section- this scares me too, I (maybe naively) am not scared of pushing big baby out but I dont want a section.... I also want an active waterbirth... worried setting myself up here too and think I may sound naive in birth plan as do not want pain relief apart from water, TENS, gas and air.... reassure me please mummies!

Well I have waffled a lot, think I may post some of this in my month forum as I am all worried now!

Glad all you ladies are good xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    I'm the same as you carley - I want an active waterbirth. I don't want morphine because I have a reaction to it, don't want an epidural because I want to be able to move.. My heifer of a baby has been measuring 3 weeks ahead but I had a growth scan and she's 'within normal ranges', despite being on the larger end! No one has mentioned c-section to me but I reaaaaaaaally don't want one. The thought of someone rummaging around my belly is hideous!
  • Options
    MrsM - I'm probably worrying about something that will be fine I've told hubs he will have to look after them and the midwifes we see at the ante-natal class has already said she tells the partners that they will be responsible for all guests and making sure they're not in the way stopping rest feeding or anything else crutial to mum and baby for at least the first month. One of the others said she makes a point of making them think how they would feel exposing themself in front of their fathers and how they'd feel in front of their father-in-laws, and suggesting they relate that difference to learning to bf in front of our mothers and our mother-in-laws. Maybe that'll help him understand what I'm telling him too. I'm not sure which of the two we get to see next week though. I know hubs wants whats best for us all but just can't quite grasp what I'm telling him.

Glad you had a nice anniversary, hope the weekend comes round quickly for you.

Wifey - thanks for the info, sounds like a good mum to me doing whatever's necessary to help her baby grow and develop

my sister switched to shields for one of hers despite what she was told, he was feeding better and she was less sore. It took 4 months before he'd feed without them which she found a bit of a pain when out and about but it worked for them. One of her others was cup fed for the first week when he couldn't latch on, I think she had one of their bf'ing consultants out most days till it got sorted. They decided the main problem was he was so tiny that he couldn't get enough breast into his mouth to feed effectively.

carley - I could have written most of your post, I'm worried I'm so determined to bf that I'm setting myself up for a fall, we don't have any formula in though I'm refusing that, if I'm in hospital they'll provide it and we're not far from a 24 hour tescos if Iget that desperate at home.

I'm worried I sound naive about pain reflief too I really don't want any pain relief other than tens, g&a and maybe water. Morphine and all it's derivatives make me violently sick and I want to be active which rules out an epidural. My birth plan is currently blank though I don't really want to limit myself, who knows what I'll think on the day. I keep thinking I should think about it but then I put it off again.

squeezed - I can see exactly where you're coming from with reguards c-section. I requested a general anesthetic instead of a local when they were taking a screw out of my ankle, as I didn't want to see them pushing and pulling my ankle about whether I could feel it or not didn't matter me. It didn't help that my consultant had told me it would be a GA, and his registrar who was doing the surgery sprung the idea of a local on me about an hour before I was due in theatre.

While I think of it talking about birth plans, what are people thinking of/did they do about the third stage of labour? assuming alls well we get the option between having the injection or not and I don't really know what to say, it's not something I'd thought about.
  • Options
    I have my birth plan done but I am quite fussy but I have said I will keep an open mind and am flexible! (apart from mentioned above haha!) I also know my luck that the pool wont be free!

Mainly beacuse unless of emergency, I want to be the first one to hold my baby and I dont want the MW telling us sex of baby, I want hubs to tell me, I am rather fussy about it details. I think I am going for the injection for placenta but not sure.... eek xx
  • Options
    hopefully even if the pools not free you'll still be able to have a bath, it's not as good, but better than nothing. I'm still undecided about a pool, it seems like a lot of hassle to me. Hubs was amazed, he thought I'd be straight in the water as I adore swimming and most water sports. I guess I can make my mind up on the day ours isn't the popular apparently.

I've been told so many times in the ante-natal classes that unless we request otherwise or it's an emergency the first thing is unhurried skin-to-skin with mum, that I've not worried about writting that down. I want the first cuddle too, hubs would insist on it too it I didn't for some unknown reason. He'd like to have the second cuddle too, I might have to be vocal on that one he won't push himself forward.
  • Options
    Hi ladies

I am still lurking, just working like a maniac and was so busy over the weekend with the niece

I suddenly realised today that I had no idea what cd I was on, thats a first!!

I actually had to turn on my cbfm to see what day I was on!

Due on tomorrow but only because the last two cycles have been 28 days but I had loads at 29 so not too concerned at the moment, plus we only dtd once around the time of ovu and I never got a peak either!

Can't believe how soon some of you ladies are close to having your babies, you must be Sooo excited xx

Hello to star, glad to see a new face, there are not many ttc ers on this thread at the moment

I'm sure there was someone else new but I really can't remember!!
  • Options
    I haven't really thought about third stage, no one's spoken to me about it! I need to iron out a few things at my 38wk appt really as no one's ever spoken to me about a birth plan either. There are things I need to make a note of on my notes depending on the hospital. We're off for a tour around St Michael's later so I'll be able to make a decision today. 38wk appt is on Tues, I'd like it if baby has engaged more and isn't back to back!
  • Options
    Double post x
  • Options
    oo chic it's nice to relax and not worry about the cd. Maybe that'll be the secret and it'll be your month.. Hope so, I can't wait for you bfp announcement some day soon!
  • Options
    Squeezed, thanks love, I cried when I read that, I long for that day too, I'm so afraid it will never be my day image
  • Options
    It'll definitely be your turn chic, I know it's been a long journey and it must feel like it'll never end, but one of those eggs you've got is going to turn into your bfp. And you've had a lot to deal with on top of all this, so hopefully a new chapter is going to open up soon.

Flo check out your little greedy guts! He obviously wants to grow as tall as his daddy. Hope the sleeping pattern holds out, what bliss that must be.

Well, full term tomorrow. I've decided to ignore any symptoms other than a gushing of waters or strong and regular contractions, that way I hope not to spend the next 5 weeks symptom spotting or convincing myself something's happening when it isn't!! I can dream..
  • Options
    Wifey it sounds like you have had a tough time, can't believe all the conflicting advice out there. Your definately not a bad mother, do what you need to do to keep your little man happy.

Squeezed how was the hospital tour? So exciting you'll be full term tomorrow, good luck with the not symptom spotting. I would have no chance, I'm terrible for it!

Clalee I hope he understands a bit more after the classes then. Sounds like either mw could offer some good advice to the partners in the class. The one about exposing themselves is one to use if you don't end up with that mw though, may have to remember that.

Chic I hope this is your month lovely, a lot of people seem to relax and get their BFP's.

Flo I seem to go mad Christmas shopping anyway so I will be terrible when/if we have children. Fc he sleeps well for you again.

Hi to everyone else image

Yay for it being nearly Thursday. Tomorrow could be an interesting day workwise but the week seems to have picked up. I think I was a bit emotional at the start of the week which didn't help and had additional stress with everything yesterday. Felling calmer today thankfully. Can I just say you girlies all cheer me up, I was reading some fb posts over the last couple of days and I am just so thankful to have joined. Soppy I know :roll: image

xx
  • Options
    Chic - we're all awaiting that BFP announcement from you, it'll be a great day well worth celebrating. You've had so much going on, it's time for a new chapter in your life.

Vickster - if you're lurking I'm looking forward to your bfp too.

squeezed - Yay for being full term, hope your little lady puts in a timely appearence. In my first ante-natal class she said we should talk about your birth plan, but she never did (I'm so glad she was just filling in while the others were away at a meeting it would have been rubbish with her). We were talked through the stages of labour and what to expect this week, all that was said about the third stage is you have two choices injection and managed or a natural third stage. As she said we have choices I guess I should at least think about it.

How did the tour go at st. michaels?

Flo - you know you've just made me feel so much better. You're right the hospital have been great so far I can't see them being any different helping after he's born, and I know theres a breast feeding coffee morning at one of the hospitals near us three times a week staffed by midwives.

Have fun christmas shopping, we were discussing it last weekend, we both want to get bubs stuff even though he'll have just had his birthday presents. We wondering about getting stuff thats the next stage up it won't be much good straight off but will come in handy soon enough. We still need to sort Christmas, we're planning on driving down to see our families but we need to work out where we'll be for Christmas and where we're going after (we drive between the two on boxing day) how long we're going for and all sorts of things like that. With a 400 mile drive each way it won't be a fleeting visit. We're thinking of stopping off with friends part way down but we'll see. Part of me's lookign forward to introducing our little boy to his auntie, cousens and great grandmothers, part of me is dreading staying at my in-laws where they only heat one room so they'll be 6 adults and a baby in one little room (with only 4 seats) most days and if we're there Christmas day there'll probably be at least another 4 adults turn up.

MrsM - I'm glad the week picked up for you, I still hope the rest of it doens't drag for you.

I've found out my boss is away next week (and today) so tomorrow is the last day I'll see him before I go (unless I come in on the 31st to clear my desk), as much as I'm looking forward to turning the alarm off and just going back to sleep in the morning it made me realise how much I'm going to miss this place. Ok some people annoy the hell out of me others are stereotypical mathematicians (= odd with no social skills what so ever) but some I get on with rather well. I can't quite work out the ettique of leaving either officaily I could come back, but my contract expires while I'm on leave so really everyone knows that I won't be. There are odd things like should I hand my office key over, who should I seek out to say goodbye to. Ah well no doubt I'll be back for "keeping in touch days" (I can have 10 days at full pay while on leave) to finalise publications and things.

Well I've got my 36 week midwife appointment later, it's not till 3.45 so I'm expecting the back log to have built up by the time I get there and I'll have a long wait. When I told hubs what time it was he asked if he should expect me home for tea or if he should be packing me supplies for camping out over night and he's only been to 4 of the appointments. I guess it's what happens when you get put into the high risk clinic, though I'd rather that than them rush people in and out.
  • Options
    Hospital tour fail! They told me it was at half 7, but we turned up at 7:20 and it had started at 7pm. So I had to call up this morning and book in for the 3pm one on Sunday instead. we have friends visiting so will have to deposit them somewhere in town for a bit while we go around. Got my next mw appt on Tuesday so just want to be able to tell her to change it then if I want to go to Southmead.