Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

May 2020 Babies

Replies

• Options
    @HeartburnMama Rex constantly snorts 😂 I call him piglet or snuffle pig. He snorts when he’s on the boob or getting ready to latch. I wouldn’t say he’s a nasally baby, but he does do a few sneezes a day. He also snores sometimes
  • Options
    Omg Georgie is like a pig too she snorts all the time especially when waiting for milk! She is so nasally we have to everyday put saline drops in and use the bulb to get gigantic bogies out her nose she absoutely hates it but otherwise she gets really distressed with blocked Nasal passengers. We have a humidifiers but I think her nose is just tiny  
  • Options

Everyone’s smiling babies are so precious! Here’s Ellie at 5 weeks old! I can’t believe how fast it’s going 
  • Options
    How’s everyone doing, I think we are in the process of dropping a nightfeed, she went from 10.30-2.30 fed at half2 then woke up at 6.45! Anyone bottle feeding how much does your baby have a day?
  • Options
    @Lillian2410 that will be nice for you if she drops A night feed! 
    I'm breastfeeding but I do feel quite lucky with sleep. Jacob tends to doze off around 8pm after a bath and a massage and the boob. Then I go up to bed and leave him downstairs with my husband! He bring him up when he's going to bed and he will either have a quick feed or will stay asleep from downstairs. Then seems to sleep until 1/2am - nappy and feed, back to sleep until 4am, feed, back to sleep until 6.30ish. - then sometimes wakes up properly after that feed, although this morning he's still asleep now after his 6.30 feed 😂 
    I feed him lying down on my side as that's probably one of the safest ways to breastfeed at night - no chance of dropping him in your sleep! Then he either goes back into his next2me or sleeps in our bed. (Following lullaby trust safe sleep guidelines!) X
  • Options
    @Lillian2410 I'm now bottle feeding as Eddie has tongue tied and struggled to stay latched for more than a few minutes and it got very difficult for us both. He is a very hungry baby and has around 850ml in 24 hrs and x2 over night but did drop a bottle x2 over night but not same week xxx
  • Options
    Aww that sounds lovely ! My sister is breastfeeding still and she’s getting some good long breaks inbetween some of the feeds but also the cluster feeding is real for her so it’s all compromises. 

Thats reasuring to know georgie can have a lot of milk one day then not as much the next. I guess that’s normal though 
  • Options
    I’ve just rung the GP again after another rubbish night with reflux. Austin wouldn’t go down at all and spent the night coughing and being sick (through his nose at times) and generally being very upset unless he’s upright. He said that ranitidine has been removed from the market as they found it to have some ingredient that can cause cancer? A little worrying as my son took it for around 8 months as a baby :/ he’s prescribed omeprazole but said that it can be difficult to get babies to take as it doesn’t taste very nice :/ I’m hoping that it helps. He also referred him to paeds just to check him over and make sure there’s nothing else going on, which I’m glad about. He did suggest lots of things to help with the reflux, keeping him upright, burping regularly, cycling legs to help pass wind/ open bowels. He also suggested feeding more often for less time. Is there anyone on here who has tried that? I will give it a go but I can’t see how to reduce the feeds if he’s hungry and also with the mastitis I’m needing to feed as much as poss to help clear that? Think I might give my health visitor a call to talk about getting him weighed as he asked about that, I’ve been weighing him at home and he’s putting on but done want it to be missed if he’s not doing as he should be. I feel like I’ve had a right week of it and on very little sleep 💤 💤 my other half has been back working full time as well so I’m pretty much alone, I was hoping that I’d be able to ‘bubble’ with my mum and dad but none of us are single households 😭 x
  • Options
    Sorry Austin is struggling so much @Frankie86, I hope you find something to help him soon. It’s good they’ve referred him, better to be checked over. Also think it’s a good shout to speak to the HV. 
    My husband is back to full time working now too so just trying to adjust to looking after two on my own 😖 

Hope everyone And their beautiful babies are doing ok! 

My Austin has to go and have some tests done today for prolonged jaundice. I’m not really sure what it entails, I think just a more detailed blood test. They’re checking for a metabolic condition although the midwife thinks it’s unlikely he has it, but they’re checking to be safe. 
    Because we stayed under midwife care for longer it meant he got weight again on day 16 and was 7oz above birth weight so really pleased xx
  • Options
    @Lillian2410 ozzy has 140ml every 3-4 hours at night me and partner go to bed about midnight anyway so I feed him and change him and put him in the next to me cot and he gets up for another feed between 3 and 4 and then gets up between 6-7 for another... And takes about 20 mins to half an hour to feed change and get him back to sleep each time so I feel quite lucky really I'm seeping pretty good atm he seems to be in the same routine my first son was xx

• Options
    @Frankie86 that’s so concerning to hear about ranitidine my son was on it for two years!!! I hope the omprozole works for you and he manages to settle .. it might be worth feeding him for less time and then expressing but in my experience when we tried cutting my son down he was fine with the reduced amount, he sort of drank whatever came to him but would not feed any more often even if he had less milk so was pointless really.
  • Options
    @Rebecca1992 that’s exactly the same as Rex! Except last night... we gave him a bath at around 7 and it sent him off to sleep for about 3 hours and that messed up his entire night time routine 😫 we’ve learned not to do that again 
  • Options
    We are often guided with baths by explosive poos lol 😂 I can’t stay up to midnight I love my sleep to much but I can get up early unlike my husband who’s a night owl ! It’s his birthday today it was strange putting georgies name on the daddy card but good of course 
  • Options
    @MillP my second had prolonged jaundice. It was picked up on day 21 and he had it until he was around 8 weeks. 
    Has to had blood tests every other week just to make sure levels were coming down which they did on each test! Better to be safe than sorry :) 

Jacob seems jaundice still. His skin is deffinetly getting a more normal tone but the whites of his eyes are still pretty yellow. 
    I'm giving it until Tuesday when he will be 4 weeks old and then I will ring doctors if it's still not improving! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice on the snorting ladies... very reassuring. 

I'm really struggling to get Monty into any routine. After a change, feed, burp he then just cries until I put him back on my breast to feed until he falls asleep. He hates being put down so I rarely manage it. Have ordered a sling to be delivered. 

He doesn't go more than 2 hours between feeds... and in the day it's closer to an hour. I'm very tired... Haha x

• Options
    Hi ladies hope your all ok! 
    Summer still has her cord on they cut it real sort after theatre and then took clip off at day 5 it’s hanging on by a bit of flesh I’m guessing but I’ve not bathed her because of it being bloody and not wanting to get infected. She’s a month old this weekend! I’ve been giving her little wet wipe baths but is it normal to still be on this long?! 
  • Options
    Hi Ladies!

So glad the forum is back!

@Chkitty I don’t know I’m afraid! Have you told your midwife or health visitor? 

I’ve just literally this moment walked out of hospital. I had a lump on my left boob which I found on Friday. Painless but noticeable. I assumed it was a blocked duct so tried all I could over the weekend with no improvement. Made a GP appointment on Monday and got seen the same day. She said she thinks it’s a cyst but better to be referred to the hospital to confirm. Got a phone call yesterday morning asking me to come in today at 8.45am - can’t fault the speed in getting this sorted! I was assessed and had an ultra sound. Thankfully not cancer but they couldn’t confirm if it was a cyst or a blocked duct. They did aspirate it though and they’ve sent the contents off to be tested and they’ll let me know if it’s infected and if I need antibiotics. Obviously because this all happened so fast I’ve spent the past day panicking about how Rex is going to feed whilst I was away (as hospital said it could be a few hours!) thankfully my hakka arrived on Saturday so I managed to get 2oz’s in the past 24 hours, and I had some formula as an absolute back up - however seeing as I’m out within the hour it looks like it’s not needed! 
  • Options
    Yey the forums back up and running!! Thank god 😂 

@Chkitty I think Jacobs came off on day 14. I would of expected it to of come over by a month. 
    Jacobs was bloody too even after it fell off. But before it came off the area around the button was red like it was possibly infected and it was pretty smelly too. The midwife gave us this saline water to spray on and around the belly button and cord and then to pat dry with a clean cloth or kitchen towel. We bath him from day five in one of those bath seats and just poured the bath water over him using a jug avoiding his belly button area. 

It was hanging by a thread for a few days but it's important to not pull it off. 
    As long as it's not infected (Google images of what infected cord button looks like), and it doesn't smell, and the area around the button isn't red, I wouldn't worry too much. If it needs a clean use boiled water cooled down with some paper towel or cotton wool, just make sure you pat it dry after so it doesn't stay damp :) 
  • Options
    Yay so glad the forum is back! 

@Chkitty  I thought it would have come off by now but I’ve no idea what the guidelines are, maybe check with the health visitor? Stephielou has given good advice :-) Austin’s came off on day 6 which I’m thankful for because his stank, but wasn’t infected. It was a bit bloody after it came off but dried over quickly and healed in another couple of days 

how is everyone doing? 
    Ladies who had sections how are you healing? 

@PaulaLarr that sounds stressful and frightening! I’m glad they’ve checked you out quickly, hope you get some answers and it clears up soon! 

Ladies who are breastfeeding, have any of you given baby a dummy? Austin uses me a lot just to soothe, he just goes on for a few mins, I’m pretty sure he’s not doing it for hunger as he will do a long feed every few hours and he doesn’t really swallow so doesn’t sound like he’s taking anything. It’s really wearing me down and making me sore! Considering giving him a dummy when he’s just looking to suckle for comfort but Im scared it will cause nipple confusion but I also don’t want to get to the point I dread feeding because of how worn down I’m getting! 
    He’s now 3 weeks and 2 days old so still quite young. When he feeds and soothes he is really good at taking himself off when he’s done too so I also don’t want to ruin that with a dummy (I’ve no idea if it would be affected?!) 

Here’s a pic of my cheeky chops ☺️ Can’t believe how quickly he’s growing 😢

• Options
    I would say after a month it should have come off by now georgies and my sons was off in a week. 

It’s my sons birthday Friday he’s 3 I can’t believe he’s going to be 3! Seems like yesterday he was my baby! 

Georgie is well and getting so big I think she might be getting colic as we’ve had some very upset evenings but we are already on mam anti colic bottles and infacol but going to dig out my dr browns today but can’t see it making much difference.