Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What is your child scared of? And what do you do to calm them? Tell Legal & General: voucher to win

Replies

• Options

My son had a fear of going the toilet till he was 7yrs old, he used to be sick, red hot, screaming, crying non stop and stiff as a board in fear every time we tried him on it. He used to wear special nappies for a poo, after months of therapy I wrote a story about "Poo Land" and cut pictures out of books and magazines telling him how "feeding the toilet" helped "poo land" people live and build homes, with this fun book (boys love anything gory!) And lots of coaxing, praise and explaining how the toilet works by showing him the flush part inside the toilet I finally got him to go!!! (Never been so relieved!) I then did the same with my other 2 boys so they didn't fear the toilet as something that hurt you too!

• Options

My 4 year old is scared of the dark - we got a night light but that wasn't enough so we now have a lamp and leave the bathroom light on in case he needs to go...bless him x

• Options

My son James is 4 and is scared of dogs. Nothing unusual there you might say but it's not all dogs. He's fine with the big,beefy dogs that frighten the life out of me. You know the kind, staffs/pit bulls/alsations. Nope, not my James. He's absolutely petrified of the cute ones. Show him a bichon frise or a cockerpoo puppy and he goes absolutely mental. Happy to grab a German shepherd by the face though! 😂

• Options

My daughter isn't scared of much, she's a fearless little thing! The only thing that does worry her is spiders - they never used to bother her but now she's a little older they really freak her out. I've always been very scared of spiders but I tried hard not to pass my fear on to her... guess it didn't work! :/

• Options

My 3 year old, Casper, is scared of spiders. We have always made a real effort to not appear bothered by them, so I'm not sure where it has come from! We try and get past this by talking about spiders and the good things they do and count their legs etc. Just try and make them seem not scary. 

• Options

My son was petrified of swimming. We started by going to the pool together and splashing in the baby pool where he could stand. Then I started to sprinkle water over them in the bath more Regularly. We read books about swimming and kept going kept getting wet. It's improving weekly 

• Options

my son was terrified of shop mannequins and used to scream and turn away from them. we explained there not real and are plastic and got him to hit one! Now he is the opposite he likes looking at different mannequins and comments on them, the most awkward time being  when he said " this one is my favourite one" . It was an underwear mannequin with no legs.......🙄

• Options

I used to have nightmares about the aliens with green hair on the old fashioned space raider crisps and would have panic attacks where I thought I couldn't breathe because they had made my heart slow down.

I would run into my parents room panicking and begging them to help me. Was really scary.

My Nanna told my Mum to get Worry Dolls and I could put them under my pillow and they would take all the worries away and any nightmares I might of had. I recommend them to everyone!

• Options

Our little boy was scared of dogs, so we gently introduced him to quiet, gentle dogs first to build up his confidence. He is fine now.

• Options

My grandparents lived at Formby, by the seaside. The beach there was often covered in dead jellyfish, of which I was terrified. My grandad used to do a dance on them barefoot to show me they couldn't hurt me. Needless to say that didn't work!

• Options

My little ones were scared of the dark so had to leave the bedroom door open and hallway light on. Glad they are older now and can sleep in the dark.

• Options

nosies in the night - helped by explaining what they each were

• Options

I was scared of the dark, I always had a bedside lamp on at night. Then when I fell asleep they would turn it off. This happened until I grew out of it, no pressure from my parents.

• Options

My son was really scared of dogs. I think it stemmed from people not having their dogs on a lead, especially when we were on holiday and they would come bounding up to him, when he was very small. On one holiday we gradually encouraged him to befriend the lovely little scottie dog in the next caravan, showing him that he wouldn't get hurt.  Then the kind owners let him take the dog for little walks and this really boosted his confidence. At school they had a dog to visit the classroom & he was quite happy with that too. He is still very wary of dogs but now doesn't run out of the way when he sees one approaching.

• Options

My son is freaked out by balloons, be itvthe numbers, normal balloons, balls that look like balloono, hot air balloons and loud noise, this started when his now 2.9yr old brother burst a balloon when he was 1yr. We bought ear defenders which worked a short time and no we stand outside of parties watching eveprying else and,slowly go in and out. We take it slow and it helps him cope.

• Options

I was frightened of the dark as a child and I remember my parents buying me this lamp, the bottom part was a pottery house with a soft orange glow light while the top part was a normal light.  I put the bottom half on during the night and it helped me to realise the dark wasn't so bad!

• Options

As a child I was scared of the water, my mum got me into swimming lessons and if I managed to achieve something in the lesson would reward me with a "kid" magazine or small toy. After a few lessons I just wanted to impress so I could get a toy! Ha ha. Soon got over the fear!

• Options

My little girls scared of the dark, we tried night lights, light up toys and leaving the landing light on dim at night but they didn't work. We had to put a dimmer light in her bedroom in the end and she has her bedroom light on dim all night.

• Options

My son is terrified of loud noises. This ranges from; the ice cream van which comes round 3 times a day, a breakfast van which comes twice before 1pm to someone shouting loudly and everything in between quite literally. The range or emotions tugs your heart strings from the shocked face to the incessant screaming until he realises the noise is no longer there( which can be a while, a mothers patience is like no other). I have found that humming or singing the “Eatnemen Vuelie” song that plays at the beginning of the Disney Frozen does the trick, I myself find it quite soothing. He has since started singing it to himself when he finds himself frightened and before he even realised what he has done he is off laughing and playing again 😊 

• Options

my daughter is scared of the wind i have to pick her up and tell her its okay everytime were out and gets windy

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions