Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

May 2020 Babies

Replies

• Options
    Thank you ladies that's good to know! I'm more than happy for him to be boob sleep boob sleep for the time being! Especially as it means he can snooze in his carrycot pram whilst I sunbathe in this beautiful weather 😂👍
  • Options
    Thankyou everybody for your advice and support it's good to know I'm not alone, been crying less yesterday and not at all today so hopefully I'm going to be feeling more my self soon, I just need to adjust to the changes I think x

We have had a nightmare last few nights tbh ozzy kept waking up every 20 mins or less and crying any time he is put back in his bed to sleep, our 2 year old also isn't sleeping so we are all running on no sleep, hope tonight is better I'm so tired it was never like this with odin he just had milk and slept alot... We had to wake him for feeds... Always well slept couldn't be more different this time round x
  • Options
    @Rebecca1992 I’ve had a night like that with Rex. Thankfully the other nights he has slept - although not as long as I’d like! Honestly I find myself dreading bedtime now, I’m hoping he’ll get used to the day/night cycles and we’ll find a routine soon. Or at least roll on 6 weeks when I can pump and I can give husband the job of bottle feeding 😂
  • Options
    @PaulaLarr yea atm I feel like he's not used to night and day yet as he's slept loads today and that's super annoying because it gets to like midnight and he's wide awake... He did used to kick at night time 😂 maybe iv just got a night owl on my hands, going to persever and carry on in the hope he gives in and realises it's bed time and not play time x 
  • Options
    Austin is going in fits and starts with sleep, had a few nights where he wouldn’t settle at all unless he was on us. Last night we had stretches of sleep between feeds 🙌🏻 Thankyou @StephieLou95 I’ve ordered it on next day delivery so excited to try tomorrow 👍🏻 Xx
  • Options
    Oh ladies the photos of your newborns are melting my heart! Montague is 7 weeks old now and almost double his 4lb birth weight. Hope you don't mind me staying in this group with you all as he was due on 10th May! 

My husband and I do shifts (so he stays up over night and sleeps in the day) which works so well for us. He brings baby in to me every few hours for a feed, but then does all the changing/ holding/ playing so I can sleep. 

As we've not gone out much (damnCovid) I've noticed my legs are heavy and achey. I worried about dvts so took my blood pressure and it's low 92/64. Has anyone else has this? 

My docs aren't doing postnatal checkups so as a first time mum I don't know what's normal! 

I could ring for advice on Monday morning... just wondered if anyone else experienced this. 
  • Options
    Hi Ladies, just seeing if anyone else has experienced this? Rex is 1 week old today. Breastfeeding was going really well but over the last 24 hours we’ve been struggling, initially he took AGES to latch. I’d be sat for a good 30 mins+ before he actually latched and settled - prior to that it was just a screaming match directed at my nipple. However through the night he just would not latch and was getting really worked up! I knew I wasn’t blocked or anything as my milk was pouring out, this morning after 2 hours with no success I put him back to bed and he slept for about 3 hours until I woke him to attempt another feed. I suspect he just wanted comfort rather than food? Or at least maybe got enough from what was leaking out? When I woke him again he still wasn’t latching, he only seemed to be indicating he wanted food (tongue out) around me. Whenever my husband took him, he was chill and didn’t seem to want food. We spoke to my sister-in-Law and she said if he wanted food we’d know and he wouldn’t go off to sleep like he had if he was hungry (she’s not a professional but breastfed our nieces until they were both 2). I just wanted to see if anyone else had this? I don’t want him to starve but he’s def feeding less than he has over the rest of the week - but that could’ve been building my supply and a growth spurt? He seems ok in himself - still wet and poopy nappies etc
  • Options
    My girl is still sleeping a ton too, she will be 4 weeks tomorrow. She eats, usually stays awake for a little bit, then naps. Wakes to eat again, and is usually right back to sleep. The past few days she’s been staying awake for 20-30 mins after each bottle, but yesterday she was falling back to sleep immediately after eating. I will enjoy the frequent sleep while it lasts as it allows me to get stuff done around the house 😅
  • Options
    @PaulaLarr I'm not a professional and have only been breastfeeding for the last 7 weeks, but I've experienced this a little too. If my baby doesn't latch and just makes 'attempts' or moved his head around a lot after 5 minutes I move him to a play position and do cycle legs or tummy time. Then after a bit of play or massage if he's crying I try him on the breast again. This seems to work for us. Sometimes he latches on and sometimes he just wants to sleep. He's gaining weight beautifully so I think your sister in law is correct. 

Good work mama, I know it can be draining (literally!) 

Also I love all these baby names 💙
  • Options
    @HeartburnMama you need to drink more water with blood pressure that low hun also increase salt intake might also be why u have achy legs but defo keep an eye on it. Look for red painful patches with swelling that would indicate DVT n needs urgent medical attention. 

Im not sure about the lack of latching but my little girl has had bottles and dummies and no breastfeed for 4 days n she still relached ok, she was a little fussy because of engorgement maybe it’s that?
  • Options
    @Lillian2410 thank you. Triage didn't seem concerned... just said to raise my legs and have some food. It's 89/54 now so I've come to lie down and put me feet higher. Will do what you suggest and take lots of water x
  • Options
    So looking into it I think my breast’s are engorged (thanks @Lillian2410) thankfully they don't hurt but they def feel like they’re full and could burst if I poke them 😂 I’m expressing now - does anyone know how much I need to express? Like just enough to take the edge off of the full “balloon” or should I empty it completely? I’m just doing 1 for now and I’ll see how that effects the next feed, then I’ll express the other the same amount if a success!
  • Options
    @PaulaLarr engorgement can make it harder to baby to latch. 
    I would just express a little to soften the breast then latch baby on. If you fully drain the boob your boob will respond and in a couple of days then will make even more milk! 
    The more you pump the more you make then the more the discomfort and feel you need to pump more 🤦‍♀️😂 xx
  • Options
    @StephieLou95 thank you!

Turns out it was Engorgement - I was just fortunate it didn’t hurt (yet!)

I managed to hand express a bit, and then I cheated and popped a nipple shield on, I let Rex suck for 5 minutes and then I slipped the shield off and he latched right away!! He’s drained my left one a lot and has since started on the right. Def going to keep an eye on this now I know, and I’ll make sure he’s feeding enough to prevent it recurring (in addition to feeding for his own well being!) such a relief that it’s sorted and I know why he was having issues!
  • Options
    I don’t know if I posted about it but I was readmitted last week as I had sepsis from mastitis not to scare anyone but if you haven’t breastfed before I would get to know the symptoms of mastitis and engorgement I became extremely poorly very quickly! Still on antibiotics now they finish tonight so I’m hoping it doesn’t come Bk again !
  • Options
    @Lillian2410 sorry to hear that but glad you’re on the mend and thank you for bringing it up! You probably mentioned engorgement just in time for me! Boobs are def feeling less full now, and reading up on it I’m going to make sure I prevent them getting so full again, I’ll also sleep bra-less tonight!
  • Options
    @Lillian2410 sorry to hear that, glad you are well now. The midwives never mentioned that to me at all! I was in hospital for 11 days and they constantly encouraged more feeding and pumping... but at no point did any of them say it could turn into something dangerous. 

I'll read up about it. Thank you! 
  • Options
    They did say they’ve never had to readmitvsomeone for IV antibiotics for mastitis as it usually responds well to antibiotics but I think st first I was given the wrong ones. My temp was 39.9 for two days and my kidneys started to fail!
  • Options
    @PaulaLarr I'm so glad you got to the bottom of it and hopefully you can now go on to have a comfortable breastfeeding journey :) ♥️ 
    @Lillian2410 that sounds really tough!! Mastitis can make you very poorly 😔 luckily I've never had to go through it but with my second I had a blocked duct and it took me all day of massaging and feeding to clear it! It was awful!!!! So I can't imagine how much worse that would be if it turned to mastitis!!x
  • Options
    Hi guys sorry not been on I'm exhausted Eddie has had a bad few days/nights just wont settle unless in my arms. I'm sorry to hear about your breast feeding issues, Eddie could not latch properly as he has tongue tied so after a whileof perseverance im now just bottle feeding this upset me but I've now made peace with it xxx