Forum home Birth clubs Due in November 2019
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Pregnant? Welcome to Due in November 2019

Replies

• Options
    It's done with women who are at a higher risk of gestational diabetes, it basically measures how well you deal with sugar. You fast from 10pm the night before, go to the antenatal clinic at the hospital where they take blood and do a finger prick test. They give you " a glucose drink" (it was normal lucozade for me but I know they have dropped the sugar content now) leave you to sit for two hours, then do another blood test. I think blood sugar levels are between 4 and 6 and I never found what they did either was as mine was right down the middle! Lol it's done about 31 weeks I think. 
  • Options
    edited Mar 27, 2019 6:41AM
    @HealthyGenes1986 the lucozade test is a glucose intolerance test, it checks to see if you are likeye to develop gestational diabetes. @EvelynsMummy6390 I have a feeling I may have to do it this time as I’m a bit heavier than my other two pregnancies. 

@Bluehawaii90 yes you def show quicker with your second, especially if there is a smallish gap, just because everything inside has already stretched so it pops out that bit easier. Haha dreading what I’m gonna be like with my third...I’ll be like a hippo 😂 I’m also finding myself very bloated by around midday and jeans are super uncomfortable already. Hoping it will settle down a bit but that may be wishful thinking 🙈 I’ve found the bloating is definitely worse if I eat a large meal, was super uncomfortable last night after my tea! 

Where is everyone from? 
  • Options
    I prefer that explanation... my Dr used the term "slightly used condition" I was like b!tch I'm not 30 for another year!! 

I'm in Nottingham. 

So I've just come into work, I work in IT, so it's still a relatively male environment but whatever. I told my boss last week as he asked if everything was ok after a last minute appointment, and I've also told the only other woman in the office just incase you know? So I was really shocked to be congratulated by someone who I hadn't told....he said *bosses name* told me your news, congrats. Wtf!? Is that even legal? 
  • Options
    @Bluehawaii90 oh no that is totally unacceptable!! Your boss should have treated that confidentially. If I was you I would have a word and stress that it is not common knowledge yet. Although it sounds like it may be too late. This happened where I worked with my first. The HR woman told someone else and they told everyone. I was raging!!! Not good practice at all. It is your news to share when you are ready. 

So so far I have only told my best friend. Want to wait a few weeks before we let our parents know. I can’t decide when to tell my boys. 

We are in up in Cumbria 
  • Options
    @LadyF-B realistically they'll probably make me test again but my wishful thinking says maybe not! Although I'm bigger I passed everything last time so I'm not too worried just yet.

I'm in Falkirk. 

@Bluehawaii90 that definitely isn't legal and if I it were me I'd be going to HR, or at very least having a word with the boss as you told him in confidence. I assume the other guy is a peer and not another manager? When I told my line manager last time round she did tell the rest of the managers incase they tried to pull me up for being away from my desk (normally to puke) or try to send me home sick etc. But she asked me before I did it and would never have told another colleague. I'd have been so angry! 
  • Options
    Ps Blue Hawaii - we're the same age. I told my mum I'm pregnant and she said 'aw good, you have to have them close at your age' - excuse me? I'm nowhere near 'too old' for children. And won't be for a long time - there's a woman in India had babies in her 70s 😂
  • Options
    Yeah he told just another guy in my team. One of the reasons I prefer to work with men is there is less bitching and gossiping...clearly I am wrong about this one! We also use same sex toilets here, there are only 3 between the office of about 40 so it's going to be awkward if I end up with morning sickness, hopefully I will go the same was as my first because I was sick once duringdthe whole pregnancy at about 34 weeks! 

I'm already driving my hubby crazy, he is very much take it easy, don't stress about anything...I'm like "I need to get the pushchair and baby seat sorted, I need to pick names...." 😂 We had a Joie gemme seat and travel system when Harper was tiny but she hated the carry cot so it kind of just sat there unused .we sold the system when she grew out of the seat and bought a silver cross stroller, but I'd really like another travel system as the car seat is so much easier when they are tiny to just slot on the base without waking them up. You can get systems that turn from a carry cot into a pushchair on the one unit, but I'm struggling to find one that comes with an isofix seat. Anyone got any recommendations? Most I've looked at are massive and won't fit in the boot of my Corsa .
  • Options
    @DanielleMFM something weird is going off with text input. If you go back to edit a spelling mistake it starts over writing some of the words, then randomly inserts a letter when you don't want it to. 
  • Options
    @Bluehawaii90 we have the Mamas and Papas flip xt2 which folds up quite small. The carrycot is separate but we got a deal on Precious little one for it. I'm sure the bundle was the travel system with carrycot/cupholder/carseat adaptors etc, the carseat and isofix and a sleigh cot for under 900. I'm debating if I need to replace it with a double of just get a stroller (for when we're both there) and use a sling when itz just me. Like you, hubby thinks I'm stressing too much 
  • Options
    Don’t know anything about travel systems I’m afraid! I’m from Leeds x
  • Options
    When I had my boooking appointment the midwife said I might have to have the diabetes check, I’m hoping not! I’m terrible at giving blood my veins are rubbish, so the thought of trying to have it done twice in one day really puts me of xx 
  • Options
    So I entered a competition to win a free ultrasound and I won!! But it’s for today at 1.15pm and I’m at work til 3.30 so I’m gutted about that xx
  • Options
    Argh!! Congratulations! Is there anyway you can go @Loz27?
  • Options
    @DanielleMFM something weird is going off with text input. If you go back to edit a spelling mistake it starts over writing some of the words, then randomly inserts a letter when you don't want it to. 
    Hi Blue, thanks for letting us know - can you tell me, has this just started happening or is it all the time? We'll test it from this end too. 
  • Options
    @DanielleMFM it's been a while to be honest, it happened before the last upgrade too lol I'll try and get you a screenshot and PM you with it. Can you tell I work in IT? 😂
  • Options
    Argh!! Congratulations! Is there anyway you can go @Loz27?
    Nope I have clients all day and it’s half hour drive so can’t even nip of unfortunately xx
  • Options
    I got a letter through the post today for my first midwife appointment :-) ! They said it would be at 10 weeks when I called but it’s actually just over 8 weeks which is good. It’s not a scan, it’s just the first midwife appointment where they take bloods, urine and an assessment. I was just wondering, how did you manage this with work? I know your entitled to paid antenatal appointments but is this scans only or would this be included ? I work for local authority and they are good employers so I think I’d be covered but I don’t want to be cheeky and ask my boss, to then find out it’s deom your first scan? X
  • Options
    @MrsG101 you are entitled to paid leave for all antenatal appointments, including antenatal classes
  • Options
    It's 'reasonable time' to attend all appointments. I tended to ask for afternoon appointments as I was basically allowed 4 hours off and didn't fancy a 30 mile drive back to work after it. But they aren't allowed to make you take holidays etc :) 
  • Options
    Thanks @EvelynsMummy6390 and @LadyF-B :-).  That’s a good idea. Im looking forward to this appointment, will they been able to see hcg in our blood and work out if it’s all ok track for the amount of weeks I wonder? X
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions