Forum home Birth clubs Due in November 2019
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Due in November 2019 - Part 2

Replies

• Options
    Aww a baby Girl! Congrats! Roll on Saturday for mine! 
  • Options
    Afternoon ladies, mini me is all fine, they've put us forward 4 days to 30th November so I'm supposed to be here now! Lol the sonographer told me off for going with internet theories, she said she scans babies all day long, there is no pattern and it can only be "seen" not predicted lol I'm really struggling with temptation to book a gender scan as well ..
  • Options
    @Loz27 congrats 😊 I’m convinced mines a boy but no idea why. We’ll be finding out at the 20 week scan.
  • Options
    Thank you, I had a feeling from the start she was a girl x
  • Options
    Have you all decided whether to breast or bottle feed? 
    Ones with little ones already what bottles do you prefer x
  • Options
    We just went Tommy tippie closer to nature because we got so many with the steriliser etc. We've never had a problem and to be honest we still use 1 a day with my 2 year old, she doesn't always have it but she like her warm milk before bed. I'm not sure if other brand do the same, but you can get these little capsules that you scoop the milk into ahead, it's great for the 2am feed where you can't count to 6 without questioning your ability to do basic maths 😂 personal experience saw me throwing several bottles across the kitchen with a "ffs!" As I had miscounted.
  • Options
    I was thinking Tommie tippee and buying the whole set from boots, my friend asked if it was the anti colic ones I was looking at so I just googled and they are an extra £50 xx
  • Options
    Hey ladies, managed to miss the new thread completely!

I went back to work on Monday and it's been OK, although I miss the wee one and have to hide the sickness. I'll probably spill to my manager tomorrow tbh.

Had my scan this morning, due date is now 25th November so 4 days ahead. Baby is great though I still get my extra scans due to weight/previous big baby.

• Options
    Are they the ones with the straws in? We had the two sizes of bottles, we used the little ones for about 3 weeks and then went up to the bigger size quite quickly as she was a hungry baby. 

Honestly, I didn't try again to breastfeed properly. Everyone has their own opinions, but for me it took a few days for milk to come through. By which time she was already used to the tiny little pre-mixed bottles (they were so much easier btw but expensive). Having had an episiotomy and long labor, I was pretty b*llocksed for a few days after, hubby was able to take over the night feeds and really get something out of being a new dad (he was 42, I was 26) so it was also a novelty I think as well for him to be able to take over after 9 months of feeling useless. 
  • Options
    Dr browns are the best anti colic bottles in my opinion. My first son had really bad colic an experience I would never want to repeat 🥴
    ive also used the avent bottles with the “classic teat” which I will probably get in just in case breast feeding doesn’t go to plan, it is worth investing in anti colic ones I think which ever brand you get.
    also from birth Ive always use infacol in every other bottle for the first month.
  • Options
    Congratulations, a little girl! @Lpop ! How many weeks are you now? Did you wait till 20 weeks or go private ? I’m tempted to book a private one in a couple of weeks.

Lovely scan pic @Bluehawaii90, so clear as well! 

@EvelynsMummy6390 Hope work is going ok :-).

Talking of work, I’m trying to plan ahead for my mat leave. I’m a first time mum, I knew a few of you have little ones already. Did you save up to top up your usual full wage, or did you just save as much as you can? X
  • Options
    @MrsG101 I'd just save as much as you can. It obviously depends what kind of maternity package your work offers how much you'll need. I scored last time because my qualifying weeks included my bonus pay (woo!) so I ended up on 6 months full pay. We had £1600 saved but honestly the SMP we didn't find too bad. We've used £300 of savings across the 3 months to boost income but £200 of that was because we needed a car seat. This time I'm going to try and put £100-200 away a month if I can just incase we need it. I'm sure my SMP was about £750 a month so not horrific if you have another good wage coming in :) 
  • Options
    There is actually a SMP calculator on the government website which will give you a good indication of what you’ll get month by month x 
  • Options
    Bluehawaii90Bluehawaii90 Regular
    edited May 22, 2019 5:46PM
    We were foolish and didn't save. Mat leave was horrible, I was stuck in the house most of the time and just resented it. Not the baby of course but it wasn't what I had imagined. £700 is hard to live on when you've always earnt your own decent wage, have a car etc. It's slightly higher this time around at £148 I think, it was £139 2 years ago  So this time we are really going to try and save up. It's difficult because we spend so much on childcare theres not always a lot left over, but enough to be comfortable. I'd like this time to be able to enjoy it, to be able to take me and the two little ones out for the day. Hubby's wage covered essentials of course, but after 6 weeks at 90% mine covered my bills. 

Save if you can and buy ahead in the sales if you can! Summer stuff for the baby will be on discount in a few months. 
  • Options
    @Bluehawaii90 that's probably true, hubby worked extra hours so the car etc were always paid and I saved a lot not commuting to work. We're lucky that we don't have childcare costs so should be OK again. It defo depends on your outgoings. I'm the idiot who got a new car and boiler when on leave 😂
  • Options
    We haven’t thought about saving for parental leave but DH inherited some money from his great aunt which we have in savings as a back up. Still would rather not dip into that so we’re probably taking around 10 months leave if we can make it work, with me taking the bulk of that.

Regarding bottles I don’t have a scooby as this is my first kid. I was probably going to try to breastfeed, will I still need bottles assuming that works out? 
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2019 7:07PM
    My "push present" if you like was a new Corsa lol I had a mini when she was born and after 2 weeks of trying to fit a baby seat in and out of a cramped 3 door cooper, I walked into vauxhall and basically said give me whatever you've got with 5 doors and easy to park. I'd had a second car, a convertible, up until last year but gave it up at great pain because I couldn't turn the passenger airbag off. I couldn't put the car seat in at all so as you do, I had to sell it.

In 15 years, I will be explaining to said daughter about why she has the most ugly car we can find..."because mummy had a two seater drop top but you came along!" 😂😂

• Options
    @Bluehawaii90 we have a deposit down for a Tesla model 3 but now they are actually available to order (we’ve been on the waiting list over 3 years!) I’m not sure we can actually afford it :-/
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2019 7:16PM
    We haven’t thought about saving for parental leave but DH inherited some money from his great aunt which we have in savings as a back up. Still would rather not dip into that so we’re probably taking around 10 months leave if we can make it work, with me taking the bulk of that.

Regarding bottles I don’t have a scooby as this is my first kid. I was probably going to try to breastfeed, will I still need bottles assuming that works out? 
    I have no idea about Breastfeeding but I heard people express for when boob is not on duty? Lol I guess you would need a few when you leave the little one with family or whatever for a few hours while you and DH go out? Also if you have rough nights at the start, you could express and take it in shifts? That way you stand half a chance of feeling somewhat human! 

Assuming Tesla's come with isofix...right? 😂🤣
  • Options
    @Bluehawaii90 I suppose you’re right about leaving the baby with family and the letting DH feed during the night. Unfortunately our nearest family members are 100 miles away so we’ll not be having many nights out for a while :-( and yeah I’m pretty Teslas are isofix ready although that wasn’t on our list of criteria when we ordered it lol 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions