Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Training Challenge - Starting From Scratch group

Replies

• Options
    Jesse is doin very well odd soiled accident but otherwise seems to know when she needs to go, dry at night to and i just make sure her last evening drink is around 6.30 to help with the staying dry at nights which is most def working at present.
  • Options
    Claire Hay my stepson was potty trained at about that age and it only took a week, I think they get the hang of it much quicker as they get older
  • Options
    Hi I had to search about a bit, but found the pampers feel n 'learn in boots. Hope that helps
  • Options
    Hi I'm Z, and I have a little girl, "Moos" who is 28 months. She is my youngest child, I have 2 older ones, a girl and a boy. My eldest daughter wanted to instigate potty training and did so at 25 months, it took a couple of weeks. My son wasn't so keen, and he "went for it" at 33 months, but it took about a week. He was also dry at night within a week, whereas my eldest daughter wasn't dry at night until age 5.

Moos is very independent and doesn't like help with many things at all! So I think we may have a struggle on our hands. We had the afternoon in pants yesterday with plenty of wees, she wasn't bothered that she was wet at all (not a good sign!). At least the garden had a water image

Today she was in her real nappies and although not bothered about being wet, she did tell me "you need to change my nappy first" as she pooed just as we were about to leave the house, so I guess that's something?

The potty will be in the sitting room and her bedroom all week and I will endeavour to get her on there as many times as possible, wish me luck!

Z x
  • Options
    Hi all we are here and ready as we will ever be lol.

Sophie has been on the potty alot today and seems to like sitting there reading her books lol. She's asking to go on it all the time whicj is good and pulling her nappy away from herself when she needs to 'go'

Looking forward to getting started properly image
  • Options

Hi

We went shopping for potties at the weekend, one for upstairs and one for down, LO knows to sit on it at the moment but we havent 'started' yet, this afternoon after nursery is the beginning I think! 

I saw something online the otherweek like a hook on urinal for boys so its easier for them to learn the standing up bit straight away - has anyone seen them or better still tried?  Worried he will get confused as to why daddy stands and he sits for wee's!

Regards

• Options

OK, so we have been sans nappies for 10 days and Maisie has not had a single accident in that time! I am so proud of her. She even managed a trip to the supermarket on Saturday which was a 2 hour expedition!

The only incident involved her potty chair where you remove the middle to clean it out. She wee'd in it then passed it me to empty but didn't wait for me to be ready to take it and dumped the whole lot in my lap. Warm wee, yuk yuk yuk!!

She still has a nappy for naps and night time and doesn't seem any where near ready for that yet.

Kirstx

• Options

Oh, you're all doing so well!  Katy (27 months) is just about ready, I think.  We've had a potty in the bathroom for months and last week she asked for it twice and did a little wee.  Lots of praise!

I'm nervous about starting potty training in earnest - we've never got a few days free to concentrate on it, and she's not yet at the stage where she tells me she's got a wet nappy.  I'm changing jobs soon, so I don't know when I'm going to be able to take a week off to tackle potty training with her.  Am I just being chicken and putting off something that she's maybe ready for?  I don't know how to do it without being able to stay at home with her for a few days at least.

At the same time, I'm terrified that I'll procrastinate so long that she'll be past the point of interest and I'll have missed the opportunity.

Oh, you guys are an inspiration.  I'm going to bite the bullet and get on with it as best I can.  Keep it up all of you!

x

• Options

Well girls I'm going to be starting in the morning.........my only problem is that although Keavney will tell me when she want's changed (not all the time though) she has no interest in the potty.

Will keep you all up to date!

• Options

*Update*

Potty training delayed for until Thursday as Boo and I have a horrible tummy bug image  hope everyone is doing well image

• Options

We tried using the potty last night before bath time - LO often poos in the bath which is very frustrating!  He did sit and he did think it was funny but no 'events'!  He is very young to be starting at 22 months so we are taking it slow.

He has been unwell for a few days too which doesnt help!

• Options
    Hey everyone. I'm Julianne. My little monster T is 24months old. About 2 weeks ago I decided to start potty training him. I just went right in and bought a potty, told him he needs to peepee/poop on the potty and let him run about naked. He took to it right away, understood what it was for. Day 1 we had 2pees on the carpet and that's all. He runs to his potty when he needs to. If we're in the garden he runs inside to go.

As for potty training out and about. So far we've done 1 trip to nursery and he got there without wetting. But he is a little scared of the potty there so I told them to leave it a while until we are more established (hes only there 2 sessions a week). We went out shopping for 2hrs with a nappy on but he held it in until we got home and went on the potty!! He also refused a nappy for nap once and didn't pee in his bed!

So that's us. Doing well at home. Wondering what to do next! image good luck everyone! x
  • Options
    Oh, also, we are using a sticker chart, more for my bad memory really. He gets a star when he goes, and I write the time next to it. It's a great help when we're busy as I can just look and see when he went last. Xx
  • Options

Wow – what a great start! Thanks for all your fantastic stories, tips and advice so far. I love the fact that pants with favourite characters are such a hit - they make the move into big boy/girl pants so much more fun.

Nitha - good luck for Thursday. Great that you’re preparing him at nursery with pull-ups. Talk to the nursery but next week if it's all gone reasonably well, it might be time to put Stephen in pants for nursery too.

Dodo21 - Hope you find the Chuggington pants. Here's the Next link if you need to buy them online. Good luck with Boo.

Faye - fantastic idea to take time off work so you've got a bit of time for you both to concentrate on it. All I'd say, don't worry if it's going a bit slowly and you're not as far as you'd hoped by the end of the week. Let us know how it goes during the week.

Kyrsty – Brilliant news about Maisie’s success! Keep it up and let us know how this week is going. Don’t worry about night-time yet, just concentrate on the days and the nights will follow.

Erin (Celticstar) – Good luck! You’ve got a big job on your hands trying to do two at the same time, especially when one isn’t your own (and only 21 months). See how you go, but don’t try to do too much. And if Keavney isn’t interested in the potty, perhaps see if she’d rather use the toilet, with a trainer seat, like a really big girl. Some children bypass the potty altogether.

Kim – Looking good with Jesse, well done! Don’t be disheartened if things seem to go backwards (though they may not!). Great advice about not giving her liquid after 6.30 – amazing that she’s doing so well at night too. Keep us up to date.

Samantha
    – Thanks so much for your brilliant description – we’ve all been there (or for some of the mums here, are about to). You can have what seems like a disastrous day, and then the next you have a little angel. I love what you’re doing and you have some fantastic advice, which I’ve summarized here:
    •    Don’t put too much pressure on by getting panicky yourself.
    •    Get your child excited with new pants, potty, etc
    •    Give lots of praise. Use rewards too although once you’re having lots of success, start rationing these – ie, tell him, ‘now you’re so good at this let’s try getting 3 wees in the potty in a row and then you get your Smartie, etc. A friend of mine gave her son chocolate for every poo he did, and he’d literally try to squeeze his poo out bit by bit to get max chocolate treats.
    •    Get him involved in the whole process – making the flush an exciting thing to do – this will really help him make the move from potty to toilet. Some children can find flushing quite scary, so it’s great that he thinks it’s a treat.

More follows...

• Options

More thoughts...

Eloise – It sounds like you’re doing well already with Ella. Time to brave it out and take her out in pants. Have you got a portable potty to pop in a bag – always helps to give you that little more confidence). Let us know where you go and how you get on!  

Lottie – Having trained 2 boys already, I’m sure there’s nothing you haven’t seen. Some mums think girls are easier than boys to potty train, but I think it’s all about the child’s personality. Some children take to it more quickly or comfortably than others – but you can be sure they all get there in the end. Let us know if it is different with Matilda.

Bernie – Congrats to you and Isabelle. No worries about Sebastian – he’s probably just waiting till he feels comfortable and ready. I also have twins and found I had to potty train them separately. One (Tom) desperately wanted to be like his big sis and using big boy pants (which involved lots of accidents). The other (Judd) absolutely refused to get out of his nappies. We decided to concentrate on Tom and encourage Judd (actually without much success). Around 4 months later (when he was nearly 3) Judd suddenly announced he didn’t want to wear nappies anymore and I kid you not, was dry within 2 days – both day and night. But that’s Judd – he waits till he’s ready before he gives something a try. It sounds like you’re doing just the right thing. You may find Isabelle’s success makes him want to do it too – or it may put him off for a bit, until he can grab the limelight all by himself!

Clare K – Sounds like you’re making great progress with Sinead. I agree with Theoldwomanwholivesinashoe and would recommend reminding her to do a wee at this early stage. Soon she’ll be doing it herself and you’ll find you don’t need to remind her anymore. With your bus journey, again I agree with Theoldwomanwholivesinashoe – see if you can get her to wee before you go, then take the nappy off as soon as you get to the other end. If it’s dry three days in a row, time to be brave and take it off.

Paula – wow, you’ve got a lot on your plate. All the very, very best for your c-section today. No rush to get Kayleigh potty training just yet – you’ve got the whole summer ahead of you and we’re hoping our Potty Challenge will be running for a while. You may find that with the arrival of a new baby sister or brother, Kayleigh will have lots of change to cope with and may not want to think about potty training. Then again, some children may like an opportunity to have some attention given to them. It’s going to be a question of playing it by ear. I would say that you need to have time too, so probably want to give yourself time to concentrate on your new baby and giving Kayleigh lots of general attention before launching into potty training. Also, one thing that’s quite common is for older siblings to regress a little bit when a new baby arrives. So some mums find if their toddler is using the potty or toilet, they can suddenly start having a few accidents again. It’s just a temporary setback and will soon sort itself out again.

More follows...

• Options

And finally for now...

Claire H – Good luck Claire. Lots of children take a while to get the hang of potty training, and many need to be tempted to start. Now’s the perfect time to try again. Try to keep it fun and not too pressurised, pick a day when you’ve got time at home together and you may find rewards work particularly well, now he’s older. Do let us know how you get on.

Emily – It’s quite a task you’ve got ahead of you, with a four year old and a baby. If possible, you might want to start when you’ve got an extra pair of hands around – perhaps on the weekend? The first time you take the nappies off, toddlers seem to wee often and little so it helps if you can give them as much of your focus as possible. If they’re ready, they can learn quite quickly, so a couple of days of help at the beginning could make things a lot more manageable. After that, your four year old might want to help too and feel really grown up in the process.

Mrs 3 – Good luck with Moos. It sounds like you’ve already made some progress with her. Make it as fun as possible and encourage her increasing independence – as this is something that’s clearly important to her. Let us know how this week goes.

Mash-Sop – Sophie sounds like she’s doing really well already. As you say, time to go for it 100%. Have you set a day yet?

Joolzcook – We know exactly what you’re talking about re: the urinal that hooks over the toilet. It’s called the Weeman and we’re trying to get hold of a couple to send out, although we’ve discovered it’s made in Australia so it may take a while. In the meantime, it’s available on Amazon for £14.99. Thanks for the update. It sounds like a good start even if no ‘events’. Don’t push him if he’s been unwell, as you say, take it slow until you feel comfortable to take off the nappies completely.

Michelle
    – It sounds like Katy’s already doing well. Don’t feel you need to take a week off. Just 2-3 days should get you quite far – so why not start on a weekend and see how well she does.

Julz
    – welcome aboard! You and T are doing brilliantly! It really can work well doing the ‘cold turkey’ method – taking off the nappies and just going for it. It sounds like he’s absolutely up for it, and you’re obviously helping to make him feel really proud when he has a dry nappy or doesn’t need one at all for naps and trips. Congrats and smiley stickers all round!

Best of luck everyone - and keep posting with your news!

• Options

UPDATE!

Imogen did really well yesterday. We spent most of the day in the garden as it was lovely and sunny.  She managed most of her number ones in the potty and went she went to bed for her nap came out of her room to tell me that she'd done a poo in her nappy.  She's done well today too but did had a little accident when she couldn't get her pants off in time.  She's loving her sticker chart and happily toddles off, sticker in hand, to her chart on the fridge door after using the potty.

• Options
    Well its been our first proper day today and Sophie has been on the potty about 25 times lol. Most of the time she hasn't done anything just sat there but we have had a few wee's. She's been pulling her nappy away from her if she does wee in it and hates them on her so thats good I think.
  • Options
    UPDATE

We still haven't had anything in the potty!! At breakfast time Moos asked to get down from the table (to poop) so out came the potty, she didn't want to go on it. She held onto the poop for another couple of hours til she could sneak off and do it in the garden (in nappy!)

This afternoon she asked to do a wee on the potty so I put her on it in front of tv and nothing came, then we tried on the toilet whilst the bath was running and still nothing! She is getting very crafty and asking for a sticker as soon as she sits on it, which I don't mind, at least she's sitting on it and asking for it, we just haven't caught anything yet lol image

Will update later in the week, some of you mums are doing brilliantly! x
  • Options

UPDATE!

Thanks for the support.  Sinead is doing really well.  We had an accident at home today but that wasn't her fault - some toys were in the way of the potty!  She asked to go when we got to nursery this morning but she wasn't dry for the journey - mostly cos she had a tantrum!!