Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Training Challenge - Starting From Scratch group

Replies

• Options
    UPDATE:

Popped the Chuggington pants over the pull-ups for nursery today. Apparently Stephen was very proud of them and did ask to sit on the toilet more than usual, but again didn't do anything. And just like clockwork we got the bath wee, despite him refusing to sit on the toilet prior to getting in.
  • Options
    Update: Annie is doing really well, pooing and weeing in the potty. She is very good at going before we go out; we have been to a toyshop and supermarket today (nearly an hour in each) and no accidents (phew!).

I have finally managed to get the potette portable potty to work, although I find it devilishly hard to clip the legs into and out of place (am I the only one who hates it?).

Cautiously optimistic that I'm over the worst of it!
  • Options

Update

Sinead has had a couple of bad days at nursery but has done brilliantly at home and on the bus. she is sleeping naked because of the heat and the fact that "you don't wear nappies" has been interpreted by her as EVER! 

I agree Gemma - the legs are the very devil to manage, especially when you are rushing to get it ready NOW. My OH had to do it the other day when we were out.

Sinead is really getting there - it's just when she is concentrating that she sometimes forgets.

• Options

Update:

Well we started on Monday as we said and ended up with a poo in Kayleigh's knickers and then a wee! Doh! Then my washing machine went bang (not my lucky week this week!) so its on hold again till the new machine comes Friday. We will get there eventually image

• Options
    UPDATE

Well today was our most successful day so far. No problems with putting on the pants. Had one accident first, then a second but he finished half the wee in the potty. I took him out in a pull up to get some treats and when we got back he went bottomless. He's weed in the potty loads and only a couple of accidents on the floor. The best thing is I've not been prompting him so he's doing it all himself. Very pleased and hoping for a repeat tomorrow.
  • Options

UPDATE

Well we have had some success....the lo that I mind is now using the potty and knows when he needs it...have had no accidents at all today. 

However the same cannot be said for Keavney as we are having limited success... hit rate at the moment seems to be 1 in 4 but on the  plus side she did manage to do a poo in the potty earlier

• Options
    UPDATE:

Had some success today, however mostly in pull-ups as I've felt unwell so didn't want to risk nodding off and leaving him to his own device sans nappy. However, we got one wee on the potty and one wee on the toilet. Tomorrow we are doing a full day without the nappy on (which will be the first full day), my husband is home, my stepson is at his mums and Nana will be working so no interruptions.
  • Options
    UPDATE:

Stephen has now done two days at nursery in pants. It's been a mixed bag really, he's had some accidents (especially when playing) and some success. I don't think he's doing as well there as he is at home but probably due to there being more distractions. The nursery are being great though and really getting on board.

We've also been using the car seat protector which he loves, however not tested the absorbency yet!
  • Options
    Update: Still mostly good. The odd accident, and a lot of urgent panic whenever she needs a poo, but she still mostly makes it to the potty. She is dry in her daytime sleep too, but nowhere near dry at night.

Have found a post-bed routine that works for us, taking the potty in to her ever hour she is awake for after we put her to bed. She can take a while to fall asleep and wants to use the potty while awake - but if we leave her the potty it ends up tipped over her head!
  • Options

Update

Sinead is now dry during the day. she hasn't had an accident for days and can wait a short while after telling me she needs to go.  still not dry at night but I don't want to take a backwards step and put her back in nappies.

• Options
    UPDATE:

Stephen has done his full nursery week without nappies and is now only having accidents if he's playing outside. They are happy that this is normal and apparently still happens to the older children too. He only uses the potty now and not the toilet they have, I think because he is used to the potty.

I think we shall give toddler group a miss this week so that I can keep him consistently out of nappies this week (I won't take him out of pull ups for toddler group because of the attitude of some of the mums if he has an accident - I'm sure most of you know what these toddler groups can be like!!)
  • Options

I am new to this and I am looking for advice PLEASE...

I started last week by placing Matthew in the potty at every nappy change and every time we have a pee and we have also had a number 2!!!

I have made it fun, we have the reward chart in both of the bathrooms, potty books in both of the bathrooms and potties in both of the bathrooms.... you get the idea.

I have a few days off next week and I would like to go ahead and take the nappies away during the day and I think he is ready.

However, help with the following...

1.   I travel in the morning in the City bypass and maybe it's too much to ask of him to hold until we get to nursery/ same at tea time - Would using a nappy until we get to nursery confuse him!!!!!

2.  I have heard that Pull ups are not a good idea as it confuses them!!!!!

3.  As anyone used the nappies that are like the pull ups. I was thinking of buying them going forward....

• Options

Hi Rosa.

Using the pull ups all day tends to confuse them a they are as absorbant as a nappy,so you may as well have a nappy on.They don't see what you're asking of them,whereas nappy off means I have to go somewhere,which is the point at which they're confusing,if you use them all the time.

If you have to go out putting a pull up on for the journey or somewhere that you just can't have an accident will be no less confusing than if you put a nappy on for that time.

We use pull ups for overnight,we call them sleeping pants,with the aim being we don't wee in our sleeping pants,but I have peace of mind that if they do wee it's contained.If they're out and about you can still take them to the toilet and pull them up and down like normal pants.They're useful just till you know you can rely on your little one getting to the potty/toilet in time.Just for getting there and back I'm sure it won't cause too much of a problem,you'll probably get there and find it dry anyway.

• Options

Dear theoldwor

Thank you so much, that definitely helps.  Are the pull ups suitable for overnight ie, no leaks.  I see that you can puchase night time pull ups.

I like the idea of calling them sleeping pants and I am going to use that phrase too.

I have purchased training pants for the car so might use the pull ups inially and see how we get on. 

Thank you

• Options
    I just use the normal pull ups at night and I've had no problems with leaks.Haven't tried the night time ones because I don't want to change what I've been using because they work.
  • Options

I was nervous about our journey to nursery too and left Sinead in pull ups for over a week after we started training in earnest.  We were making a public transport journey that lasted at least an hour.  I waited until the day she had been dry on a couple of journeys and wanted the toilet before we left nursery. Then we ditched the going home nappy.  Took a few days more before I was ready to try a morning journey but Sinead did well.  

You could try without but have a portable potty available if Matthew decides he needs to go. 

• Options
    UPDATE:

We are still doing well with weeing in the potty, but no poos. We do still use pull ups for going out in as if Stephen does want to use the toilet and he has a pull up on it's easy to get it down. Once we are confident he's fully trained we'll move over to pants for outings too.
  • Options

Hi im new and looking for advice,

My little boy Aiden was 2 at end june we started potty training on friday with successful pees in the potty but he did a poo on the floor and 1 pee on the floor which i thought was great for day 1 he is just bare bum in the house,

Day 2 not one accident but i did catch him doing a poo before it went on floor,image

today i decided to try pants on him and explained to come ask me when he needs potty, i walked in and he was doing a pee at his potty but still had his pants on and doesnt seem to understand he had to take them off(also he pees standing up wont sit which is fine by me) we went to grannys in the afternoon and put pull ups on him which is a 5 min walk away took them off when we got there and they were dry, he drunk loads there but refused to go to the toilet at all pull ups went on to come home and he peed as soon as we were home but not keen to do it anywhere else. later he squated over his potty and pooped but wouldnt sit he did this by himself i didnt realise what was happening till he done it!

Im certain now hes capable of doing all pees and poos in potty but how do i tackle getting pants on him and also getting him to use the toilet in other places?

any advice would be great

Ashley x

• Options

Hi,Ashley.

Sounds like Aiden's doing really well already.Just keep doing what you're doing.The more he does it,the more confident he'll be and then he will go  when out and about.He obviously has good control to hold it while he's out.He also sounds very willing so if he wants to stand up,as long as he's happy let him do it his way.

I'd leave the pants off a little longer.At the moment he's concentrating on getting there.They're not used to having to remove clothes before going to the toilet.I always leave it a couple of weeks of bare baby before reintroducing bottom half clothes.When I started with the pants we did lots of pants on,pants off practice,and I always try to get to the potty with them to remind them pants off so that becomes part of the potty habit.My 2 1/4 year old can't get her pants back on yet.

If you're out and about maybe take the potty from home,have it in a bag on the handle of the buggy,so if he wants to go to the toilet it's familiar.I carry loo roll and nappy sacks,line the potty before it's used so it soaks the wee up,and wipe out and clear up into a nappysack,so you can take it anywhere,and it's what they know from home.

• Options
    Hi thanks for the advice i have a 20wk old baby so i carry nappy sacks/wipes etc anyway so i could easily line the potty with one of her nappys if he needs to go would u just do it anywhere they need to go i have visions of someone on the street cursing me for letting my child do the toilet in publicimage what about not using the toilet will that just come with time aswell? xx