Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Egmont about the special times you spend reading with your child – voucher and books to win

Replies

• Options

My daughter is 14months and I read to her all the time, if I don't instigate reading a book when she wants one, she'll pick up one and hand it to me. We have no real set time of when she gets read to. At the moment we're enjoying fairytales, dear zoo, animal facts for little people and peekaboo books, but she loves everything at the moment. Even daddy gets shouted at by her to read! 

• Options

My son is almost 18m 

Over this time we have had to adapt what time of day is best for reading but right now story time slots in perfect after our bath followed by bed. 

I find that by reading books which use terms which we commonly use on a daily basis helps my son to picture himself in that world, I know i shouldn't limit it but we call our son hugi-bear so I always try to get books with bear in the title. Also the style of Peter rabbit books work well for us.  

During the day we love touch and feel books or the basic shapes words and colour books. Mainly for pointing purposes. 

Alot of the books I read to my son were my own which my mum saved and I love the hehe hehe memories they hold. He is not yet at a stage where he is choosing his own books but I look forward to that day and a bookcase was by far my best investment.  

Xx 

• Options

My son is 3 and at the moment we enjoy looking at picture books and making ur own stories up.  Son isn't very vocal but enjoys me telling him the story and pointing to the pictures in the book.

• Options

My son is jenson he is 15 month old and loves all books we have a I went to the zoo book which he brings to us all the time he enjoys lifting flaps up to see the animals and making the sounds of the different animals we read it front to back then middle to start depending on which page he picks we love reading together and he decided if it's mine or dads turn to read and it's the only time we can get him to sit on our knee for more than a couple of minute. imageimage

• Options

My grandson is only 10 months, but love reading with him. At the moment, he loves a Thomas the Tank book :) 

• Options

Reading is one of my sons favourie things to do. My son will sit by himself and read or he will sit with us and we will read to him. We have read so many stories together, his favourite is hairy mc clarey which he now reads by himself! we like to read a story each night and say " i love you to the moon and back" from guess how much I love you. This is a special time for me and my son.

• Options

imageimage

My daughter is 2.5 years old and absolutely loves reading. We read at bedtime every night as part of her bedtime routine but she regularly reads stories herself throughout the day. As you can see from the pictures Amber has a good selection of books but she has a few favourites which include The Large Family, Peter Rabbit and Toy Story. Ambers imagination is fantastic and she will tell me a story just from looking at the pictures x

• Options

at  the moment,'we're going on a bearhunt 'is our favourite book.second is 'dear zoo ' We love to closeness of reading together.

• Options

I find storytelling promotes literacy and language, it gets my children ready to start reading in school and by themselves. Stories about family and culture gives my children a sense of their place in the world. We use actions and rhymes to get them involved in the story...They look forward to it everyday.

• Options

My daughter Heidi loves a bed time story, we put on her little night light and I read to her in a soft and calming voice, she enjoys looking at the pictures whilst I read,

Her favourite book at the moment is Alfie cub! It is a lovely story about a fox and his mum who has just had two twin cubs, Alfie feels left out.
    It is a great book and Heidi loves to use her imagination and imagine what the foxes house is like

• Options

My daughter Arya and I read a different story every night. Her bedtime routine is bath, massage, story then bed. I find having that 15-20 minutes quite snuggle time reading a story really helps her settle before bed. We read a lot of igloo books as they are very colourful as my daughter is only 15months. However during the day we read musical books and board books. My daughter loves to pretend and read and gets enjoyment out of turning the pages. She has recently started to love watching the teletubbies on tele she loves watching other children so she best enjoys the baby sun and the tummy tv of the kids. Here's a picture of Arya having a shot herself. image

• Options

I love reading to my kids and they love it too - always trying to get more than one bedtime story out of me! They love Julia Donaldson books and can almost recite some of them off by heart! My 4 year old son is at school now and is reading really well - he is really proud of himself when he works out a new word!

• Options

My sons love the gruffalo

• Options

Both my children (aged 5 and 2) love rhyming books. My son loves Duck in a Truck. But our two favourite books are Little Ones Bedtime and The Tickle Tree. Bed time cuddles and stories are the best. 

• Options

My son is 7 months old and my partners daughter is 8. She absolutely loves books and writing stories and acting them out she has such a fantastic imagination. We find it a good bonding experience between the 2 of them (as she doesn't live with us. cailin loves to read to Charlie and he watches and listens so intently even tho he is so young. She has done this with him literally since the day he was born 💗💙

• Options

No matter how tired we are, I always read to my little boy. We both lie in his bed. We are read Fantastic Mr Fox at the moment.  Find that it is a great time to talk about our day. My son often talks about what is on his mind after story time. Yet if I ask him about his day after school or at dinner time he will not open up.

• Options

Hello, I have a six year old girl and a 9 month old baby boy so obviously I read very different kinds of books with each child, but both love books! My six year old loves the My Little Pony novels (though I find them very dull!) and she also loves The Worst Witch series, Roald Dahl and the Isadora Moon books. She's old enough to read by herself now in bed at night but we always have a bedtime story together as well. We're reading Matilda together at the moment, which is lovely for me as it's great quality time together and I also get to re-read the same books that I loved as a child! My 9 month old likes chunky board books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Clip Clop. I think his favourite is Farm Peek-a-boo where you have to lift the flaps to find the farm animals. He likes to look at the pictures and make noises. We read together before naps to calm him down before he goes to sleep.image

• Options

I still read a bedtime story even to my 10 year old we love having a few mins on our own for a story together my 10 year old loves Jaqueline wilson or Edith blyton my 8 year old loves the gruffalo and im reading my 5 month old touch and feel books 

• Options

bedtime , we like to read fairy tales and have a cuddle

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions