Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Best advice you’ve had from your parents? Tell Legal & General: voucher to be won!

Replies

• Options

My Mother gave me two pieces of advice that I've always tried to follow. 1) Be the person with the nicest manners in the room because good manners with open doors for you. 2) Always try your best, no-one can ever ask any more from you. I also have some advice that I've passed onto my two daughters - the secret to a successful marriage is always be honest, open, tolerant and understanding and talk everything through. I feel I am qualified to give this advice as my husband and I have been together for 30 years!

• Options

It is a true fool who fools themselves - I really think this is such good advice - be true to yourself - when we try to fool ourselves then that is when we struggle in life with all kinds of problems...

• Options

Best advice from my mum- 

Always stay till the end of a jumble sale or similar, as people will often want to get rid of things! 

I have done this so many times and had bags of rubbish to take home for free! haha! When I was about 7 years old, I was given a bag full of random and mismatched crockery! I took it into the shed, which I used as a play house and had a fabulous teddy bears picnic!

Later, when I finished college, I stayed to the end of the celebration session; it was actually as I needed to change my daughters nappy... but the teacher told my dad that he could take the rest of the box of wine and I took several ice cream tubs of buffet food! image 

I think I would pass this on to my children, and also to always make yourself known and to be a really nice and kind person- someone who people will want to help out. Help others out too.

• Options

My parents often told me to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes before you criticise them and I have passed this onto my own children , try not to judge, you never know what is going on in others lives.

• Options

Best advice from parents was to start saving for your pension as soon as you start working.

Best advice to give to my children is to always be yourself and trust your own instincts.

• Options

Best piece of advice received from my parents was to start paying into a pension as soon as you start working.

Best piece of advice I will give to my children is be yourself and always trust your instincts.

• Options

My mum advised me to learn to drive and get my own car as soon as I could.  It gave me freedom to go where I wanted when I wanted without being dependent on creepy "dates" for lifts home

• Options

my mum taught me that nothing is a mistake just a learning cure.

My advise to my children is to always save money by shopping around.

• Options

Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves

• Options

I grew up on a council estate and my parents had both left school without qualifications and yet throughout my childhood I had absolute certainty that I would go to university. My parents always encouraged us to be the best we could be- whatever we wanted to do in life. Looking back it would have been easy for me to assume that I was from the wrong background for higher education but it genuinely never dawned on me and, although I have felt a little out of my depth at times, I have them to thank for that.

• Options

So many to choose from but the ones that have served me well are : Live for today but plan for tomorrow and You only get one chance to make a first impression

• Options

Best advice was to listen to your folks as when you get older your  realise that your parents are often always right and only doing what they think is best for You.Now I'm older and wiser with children of my own I look back and can appreciate that all the times they were strict and said no or grounded me it was for my own good and wouldn't be the person or parent I am today. In fact I think I'm morphing into them hahaha

• Options

The best advice i ever had off my parents is never go in to debt for anything! work and save for everything you need. I think it was the best advice anyone could of ever given me, its not always easy but i have nice things that i need and want and im not paying out on hundreds of debts. I will pass this advice on to my own children.

• Options

My parents always told me to trust my instincts and listen to my head instead of my heart. I wish I'd been able to do that more in quite a few relationships that didn't work out for me.

• Options

My parents always told me to trust my instincts and listen to my head instead of my heart. I wish I'd been able to do that more in quite a few relationships that didn't work out for me.

• Options

My parents always told me to be nice to people, you can never regret being kind, something I've tried to instil in my children.

• Options

Not sure how this'll go down here but "Don't have kids!" :D

• Options

"Spend as much time as you can with loved ones, and never say good-bye without saying I love you."My mum lost her dad suddenly when she was 6, so I really get where she's coming from.

• Options

The best advice was short and sweet : 

Can’t pay? Can’t have! Save first, spend later!

It has served me so well. The only time I have ever borrowed money was for a mortgage.

Even that I paid back 5 years early as I hated the thought of being in debt to anyone.

• Options

Nothing in your life will change until you do something! Best advice I've had - I always tell myself this whenever I feel low about aspects of my life, it reminds me that you have to pick yourself up and make a change!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions