Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Best advice you’ve had from your parents? Tell Legal & General: voucher to be won!

Replies

• Options

Live within your means - if you haven't got the money, save up - I'd pass on the same advice.

• Options

The best advice i got was from my mum who worked 2 jobs and looked after 8 kids and the house. When each of us got old enough to get a job she said " you get no where in life doing a half job, work hard earn your money and when you get your pay spend a little save a little, that way when you see something you want or need you will have the money to buy it without getting in to debt for it" Everyone of us took that advice on board and work hard to enjoy a debt free lifestyle

• Options

The best advice i got was from my mum who worked 2 jobs and looked after 8 kids and the house. When each of us got old enough to get a job she said " you get no where in life doing a half job, work hard earn your money and when you get your pay spend a little save a little, that way when you see something you want or need you will have the money to buy it without getting in to debt for it" Everyone of us took that advice on board and work hard to enjoy a debt free lifestyle.

• Options

The best advice my Mum gave me was - Life's too short for cleaning, get outdoors and enjoy spending time with your children, the cleaning can wait!

• Options

My dad always told me that life is what you make it and he is so right.  I tell my children that all the time so that they realise they need to make the best of every day!

• Options

My mum told me 'if you ca afford it, then don't buy it '. At the time I was often deeply disappointed with this piece of advice and felt that I was missing out, but as I have got older I have begun to realise more and more, that it is not possessions that make us happy but rather experiences. It is so important to spend time with those you love, they will still love and care for you no matter which house you live in, which car you drive or what you wear.

• Options

my dad alwwys said put away a fiver a week for a rainy day. ive followed his advise sinse i wass 16 and havent touched it! my daughter is 15 and has been saving money she has been gifted for christmas birthdays etc siince she was 6 she has now saved almost 6,000 which she wants to put away for uni :) 

• Options

my dad always said put away a fiver a week for a rainy day. ive followed his advise since i was 16 and havent touched it! my daughter is 15 and has been saving money she has been gifted for christmas birthdays etc since she was 6 she has now saved almost 6,000 which she wants to put away for uni :) 

• Options

my mom always used to say buy one quality item rather than lots of cheap things. To my children i would say always remember to have manners as it costs nothing and to always treat people how you would like to be teeated 

• Options

my mom used to say buy one quality item rather than lots of cheap things. For my children it would be to always use their manners as they cost nothing , to always treat others as they want to be treated and to not be afriad to be themselves 

• Options

my mom used to say buy one quality item rather than lots of cheap things. For my children it would be to always use their manners as they cost nothing , to always treat others as they want to be treated and to not be afraid to be themselves 

• Options

Don't be so hard on yourself, sometimes things go wrong. Learn from it and try again 😊

• Options

The best advice given to me was by my father. He said " Never forget that the inbox will always be full".

This advice has helped me immensely in my life.

When work get a overwhelming or my things to do list looks like it won't be completed, I repeat his words to myself to calm me down and to remind me that my inbox will always be full,I need to do as much as I can and then leave it to the next day.

• Options

The best piece of advice my Mum gave me  was no matter how much you earn make sure you save some of it. This advice gap helped me travel the world, buy my first house and start a savings account for my daughter. We save our money for family days and trips away. I will definitely pass this advice on to my daughter. It's lovely to see the money go up as you save rather than fritter it away. 

• Options

Generally my mum and dad have always filled me with pearls of wisdom and tried to guide me through life to be the best person I can be, probably the best thing they drilled into my head is "never let anyone drag you down or make you feel like you're worthless" and what I'd probably drill into my children's minds is "work hard to achieve the things you want in life and to be proud of what you achieve".

• Options

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever had from your parents? I was brought up by just my mum, and she always taught me to follow my heart and make the choices that felt right to me. I think that has definitely led to a happier life as each decision I have made has been conscious and well thought out. And what advice would you give to your children? The world is a very different place now to when I grew up, so my advice to my two girls is to believe in themselves and be strong, independent human beings because they will need to be very resilient and self-assured to live in this modern, computer age!

• Options

My folks always told me and still tell me to believe in myself. I've needed to listen to that recently, trying to bring up two young girls of my own is no mean feat, I doubt myself and my ability all the time. If my girls have children one day I'll tell them the same but also to enjoy the good moments. There aren't always good days, sometimes days are really hard but there are always good moments and they are what you need to hold on to to help you through the tricky times. 

• Options

Don't be a sheep. Stand up to any injustice you see. Never go to bed on an argument. Put a brick in your handbag. Lyingis the worst thing you can do. Laugh - always find something to laugh about.

• Options

My mums advice when I was getting stressed with the mother in law was 'listen to her advice, nod, be respectful but you don't have to act on her advice.' It totally took the stress away. And the advice I'd give to my daughter is 'be confident in all you do.' I was and still am so shy that it's debilitating at times. 

• Options

My mums advice when I was getting stressed with the mother in law was 'listen to her advice, nod, be respectful but you don't have to act on her advice.' It totally took the stress away. And the advice I'd give to my daughter is 'be confident in all you do.' I was and still am so shy that it's debilitating at times.    

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions