Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How have you changed your home since you became pregnant and/or had children?  Tell Carpetright!

Replies

• Options

We've put hardwearing bamboo flooring downstairs, as much for the dog as our twins! There's also the addition of a nice looking wooden playpen, a wooden toy box to keep the clutter on display to a minimum and a fitted fire guard. Upstairs the spare room has had a nice soft carpet fitted and a nursery-style blackout blind. We bypassed the nursery furniture stage (apart from cot beds!) And fitted wardrobes along one wall instead to keep all the clothes and clutter out of sight.

• Options

Posted earlier in the thread, imageJust sharing a pic of my flooring from Carpetright it’s a few years old now, 3 kids, a dog and cat and still looking good 😊

• Options

And a little during and after for the wall coming down! It was a nightmare but absolutely worth it! The space is much better imageimage

• Options

Unfortunately we have cream coloured carpets everywhere and can't change that, because we are only renting the apartment. They are impossible to keep clean. We have of course put up baby gates and cabinet locks etc to baby-proof the house. We turned our guest room into a nursery for our little one and guests now have to sleep on the couch. 

• Options

I had to clear out the spare bedroom to make room for the baby arriving! 
    I had a massive de clutter and only kept items that I really had to

We changed from laminate to carpets for the cosy effect.

My partner painted the whole house to freshen it up and we bought in safety plugs and stair gates! 
    Since having our children we have had to buy alot of storage to keep things neat and tidy.

• Options

We've moved house. We were in a 1 bed flat, but when I found out I was pregnant we knew we had to move, so decided to bite the bullett and buy. We have been in our 3 bed house for all of 5 days, waiting for carpets to be fitted on friday, I cant wait, new sofas Will be delivered on saturday, then its a case of sorting out boxes and getting the nursery ready. Still got a lot to do,but baby isnt due till feb 2019. 

• Options

We recently moved into a new build so everything has changed you could say!

We needed to put in all of the flooring! It is also our first child therefore needed furniture for our nursery.

We have tiles in hallway into kitchen diner and wood throughout the rest of the house as have doggies so easier to keep clean! We do however need to get the stairs carpeted and hoping to buy from Carpetright as seen the perfect carpet! The bathrooms are LVT flooring from Carpetright also which is amazing!

We have left the rooms in the standard paint for now but have plans to brighten up the nursery next year before our madam moves into there (she will be in with us to begin with).

We have bought furniture for the nursery: cot, changing unit, new wardrobes and as many drawers as we could fit! We also bought a new bed for ourselves from Carpetwright... a wooden frame and the most amazing geltex mattress! Our old bed is now also in the nursery.

I'm so happy with the flooring but can't wait to finish the stairs!

imageimageimage

• Options

We've moved from carpets (when they were crawling babies) to hard-wearing wooden floors now they're big & messy!

• Options

IV changed my house! Decided now was the good time to move to get a bit more space around us. Can't wait to get in to put new carpets and give it a good freshen up 

• Options

We put up stairgates, childproof locks on fridge and kitchen cupboards, soft "corners" on some furniture, increased the amount of carpet as it is kinder to little ones crawling - or falling.  Anything breakable moved up higher, nightlight on landing in case they emerged from their room in the dark, we just used ordinary low odour paint as paint smells make me feel ill - marks washed off easily and it was simple to paint a wall when it needed it.  We also removed any poisonous plants from the garden.

• Options

My change hasnt been the happiest my mil moved in recently and the room that was reserved for our baby has changed to mil room. So because we can’t afford to move now baby will have a space on the other side of our bedroom. 

• Options

We built an extension to the back of the house, giving us more kitchen space and a nice family room with a fireplace. More space to play and to relax.

• Options

When we found out we were pregnant we had to move home because we only lived in a 1 bedroom flat. We had to decorate our daughters bedroom because the walls were plain white and there were no window coverings at all. Downstairs we decided to use laminate flooring and we brought wipe down dining chairs and leather settees because they are all easy to clean

• Options

I've made my home as empty as possible. Literally removed everything off the side tables and excess furniture. 

• Options

Washable paint on all walls - kids touch everything with mucky fingers. Leather sofas only - drinks are spilt on them quite often so it's easier to clean up. Carpets are all kinds of beige colour that doesn't show much dirt.

• Options

New leather sofa, carpet with stain guard.

• Options

Removed the carpet! We had a lovely white carpet throughout the house but decided this wasn't baby friendly so we changed everything to laminate. It took some getting used to but now I barely remember the carpet. It made it a lot easier to clear up any mess so I think the laminate is here to stay! 

• Options

Firstly I gave up my office to make a nursery for the baby. That room had a complete makeover, walls, floor, decorations and a blackout blind. Downstairs we put a new carpet in the living room as it hadn’t been changed since we moved in and it had stains all over so I didn’t want the baby crawling on it!

• Options

Our house has been done from top to bottom since I found out I was pregnant as we bought a ‘project!’

here are the before and after of the babies bedroom....

also anyone from the June group will recall I took nesting to a whole new level by having a new bathroom as I was giving birth as I decided baby needed a bath and now a shower!! 

• Options

imageimage

Sadly no bedore and after of the bathroom as I was too busy giving birth and then looking after a poorly baby!

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions