Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Aldi your tips that won’t break the bank for keeping kids busy this summer: win a £200 voucher

Replies

• Options
    Invest in some cheap but fun garden games that the whole family can get involved with 
  • Options
    I take my kids to the kids recreation park & make up an obstacle course such as a race around all the rides such as to go up & down the slide then to do a full spin of the roundabout etc and see who wins, it keeps them fit and they usually like to keep on trying it to see if they can come first
  • Options
    I look for free events that are post on Facebook. I make a list of all the free museums and parks within an hours drive. We have taken out national trust yearly membership which costs us £10.50 a month which for a family of 8 is a bargain they have lots of properties all over and you can even use it to access national trust Scotland properties. 
  • Options
    Check out school holiday activities run by your local council.  Where I live they run subsidised sessions of 'kids for a quid' - quite a few are sports related but others are more fun-based like tobogganing and ice-skating
  • Options
    For free water pistols on a hot day use empty washing up bottles.
  • Options
    Parks, playgrounds, the woods, libraries, child-friendly cafes, cooking together at home
  • Options
    It's great to do some baking and cooking with them. Teaches them about healthy recipes and healthy eating, and allows them to learn about the food they eat whilst having fun! If it is food you were going to cook for dinner anyway, it doesn't cost anything extra. 
  • Options
    Camping, in keilder forest.   having daily adventures and bike rides
  • Options
    We have a national trust membership for lots of days out through the summer and the rest of the year. Otherwise in the garden with a tent, paddling pool and some balls provide lots of entertainment. 
  • Options
    Spending plenty of time outdoors! We like walks to different parks and forests and visits to animal sanctuaries
  • Options
    I plan a few days out but try to balance the summer break with free days as well as ones that cost more e.g theme parks. Sometimes the lids have just as much fun having a play in the garden as they do on an expensive day out! We invite friends to play, get out the paddling pool, do treasure hunts, nature trails and they love it.
  • Options
    plan lots of day trips
  • Options
    Luckily I have a large garden so having a treasure hunt is ideal for kids. You can hide things that relate to activities eg, a wooden spoon indicating doing some baking to edible goods providing the weather is ok! 
  • Options
    Take take part in reading challenge with local library, water parks and country parks nearby.  6 weeks go very quickly!
  • Options
    We love gardening in the summer, growing peas, beans, and cress, (fast growing are best to keep them interested) Giant sunflowers - (plant in April ready for June planting) - we measure them daily and keep a wall chart, and have a little competition of whose is the tallest, mums, dads or the kids, finally build a den and read a book.
  • Options
    Playing in the garden, we've bought more water toys this year and the kids love them. We even have the huge dinosaur sprinkler from Aldi as they are dinosaur mad. It's going to be great fun :)
  • Options
    We go on lots of adventures to parks and free playgrounds. We also go on a lot of walks and take a picnic with us. They love exploring new areas, especially forests! 
  • Options
    I am fortunate to have a great supportive community during school holidays we have volunteer ran picnics and bbq, games etc organised between parents and grandparents so all the children get to have a great summer which doesn’t cost more than a £1 per child for activities and food and we have a annual camping trip to ensure everyone gets a little holiday it’s great way of saving money and ensuring all the kids have the best summer 
  • Options
    Make full use of your local public library-not just for books but lots of events too such as sing songs, storytelling and handicrafts.
  • Options
    Summer time is perfect outdoors time, even if you only have a small outdoor space or have to go to a local park etc. We do outdoor crafts a lot, chalk drawings on concrete surfaces, scavenger hunts and art pictures from the things you find. We also photograph the pictures they have made as they can't pick them up and take them indoors to hang on the fridge!
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions