Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Aldi your tips that won’t break the bank for keeping kids busy this summer: win a £200 voucher

Replies

• Options
    Old sheets and furniture in the garden to build obstacle courses. My children each have a piece of garden to grow what they want. Lots of picnics with trips to the park.
  • Options
    We are lucky enough to live by the beach so spend most of our time down there over the summer. We always take a picnic, I take my flask of coffee and fill up the water bottles so we don't have to buy drinks there. I also send my eldest off to the nearby Tesco's to buy a pack of 4 ice creams for £2, as they are normally about £2 each at the beach and the kids always want an ice cream! Also in the evenings we sometimes take a disposable barbecue and a few burgers down there and watch the fireworks with friends.
  • Options
    Find out what activities are taking place in your local libary as they can offer crafts, story telling and tell you what interesting places are in your local area and these all free

• Options
    Trips to the library are lots of fun.
    . The library usually do a reading challenge which encourages kids to read six books during the summer holidays. 
    Also walks and picnics
  • Options
    Junk modelling with all the recycling (tubs, boxes etc) and scavenger hunts and putting on shows/plays..
  • Options

Create a scavenger hunt for the garden or if you're heading to the coast, the beach - or wherever you wish. It’s a great way for your kids to learn about different objects and they will love it. You can dress up as pirates for example. Arrrrrr.

• Options
    In this heat, it has to be a water fight!!
  • Options
    My top tips are: home baking, going to local clubs (most are free or very cheap), do some gardening and exploring in the woods, see if your local leisure centre has a summer holiday pass which is usually cheap and gives your children unlimited access to loads of activities such as swimming, climbing, clubs, classes, etc., go for a picnic somewhere different each day and take different games from home like board games, balls, hoop throw, beanbag toss, etc.
  • Options
    This is my little girl Paula first summer in the UK. She is 11 weeks old and I would say going out for a walk and introduce her a different environment is what I am currently doing to distract her next year definitely I will get her toys to our play in the garden 
  • Options
    We love using our national trust & RHS passes, so many places to visit to keep little ones distracted!
  • Options
    Picnics either at the beach or in the forest
  • Options
    Weather permitting, we like to take a picnic up to the beach.  Nothing fancy, just what we'd normally have for lunch.  The kids love playing in the sand.
  • Options
    I just make the garden into a child friendly space with loads of "bits and bobs". Plenty to keep them occupied,with outdoor eating. 
    Have also picked up lots of other idea's already from this site!
  • Options
    Lots of fresh air and picnics made with delicious food from Aldi. 
  • Options
    We like to do baking, we plant carrots, tomatoes and sunflowers, do lots of painting and potato printing, go for walks by a local river and take a picnic and have games of cricket and badmington in the garden.
  • Options
    Outside of the 2-3 week family holiday abroad we do cheaper activities like swimming on 'rainy days' visit local farms, go for a bike ride, cinema and walking the dogs over the fields... In between console days lol
  • Options
    Doing crafts with household items and trips to the local parks cost nothing :)
  • Options
    kids love family time :) the best way to keep them busy is by getting them activity books or setting up an outdoor activity such as an outdoor playhouse and actually playing with them. also planning little picnics in the garden and inviting fellow little friends will add to their fun :)
  • Options
    Lots of days in the garden with garden activities. Tennis rackets, balls, paddling pool, painting, planting are just a few!
  • Options
    Walks with our dog along the beach and woods
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions