Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Share great stories about your dog and what they mean to your family: £200 voucher courtesy, Winalot

Replies

• Options
    Our dog Max is no longer with us, but he was a real character. He had an obsession with socks, so much so you couldn’t even say the word in front of him or he’d get over excited. He also used to steal knives out of the washing up bowl and hide them in his basket! He was a big part of our family for many years, but he also left us with plenty of funny memories we still laugh over now. 
  • Options
    We got our puppy Hugo over a month ago now and he has slotted into our family perfectly. He is the most sensitive and loving dog I've ever met and has become best friends with my 2 year old daughter Olivia! They love running up hills and falling down them at the park!
  • Options
    Our beautiful boy Vito is 7 years old, he’s our only boy in a house of girls (apart from daddy) and we love him to bits. Earlier this year we found a couple of lumps on his side, after having them checked we were told that one was cancerous. We were given some options and because we had good insurance we decided to have an operation to have them removed. He was such a brave boy and recovered well. After a few more tests they needed to operate again as there were roots left from the tumour. He recovered well again and after tests on the lumps they found that the cancer was a more aggressive form than they thought and gave us some more options regarding further care. Up to now his care has cost nearly £7000 which has mostly been covered by the insurance and we are so glad that we have paid for it every month it’s been so worth it. He has been having chemo for a few months now and has his last session next week. We hope this is the end of it because we love our boy, he is our baby, he was our baby before the girls came and he is our family. Fingers crossed this all works for our Vito. 
  • Options
    One day when she was a small puppy, we left her in the kitchen and went for a walk.  She managed to lock us out by pulling over the bolt on the bottom of the door. When we got back we had to force the door open with a sledge hammer, as we couldn't get in through any of the windows.  Fortunately we were planning to replace the door anyway.  Seems funny now but it wasn't at the time!
  • Options
    I never considerd myself a dog person and never thought of getting one. then i found int he middle of the road a filthy dog coverd in ticks fleas and god knows what else unable to walk due to starvation i felt sorry for it and took it home, thinking on the monday morning id leave it at the vets. got home washing and cleaned her and ive never looked back i wouldnt part with her for anything. as a family she brings us so much joy we are much closer as we all walkher toggther i love hr to peices!
  • Options
    Our girls are a big part of our lives ♡ Luna is a German Shepherd x Husky and our blue eyed beauty is Sky a Husky x Labrador. Both were brought for me by my soon to be husband as company for when he was working nights. We now couldnt imagine life without them. They both have such lovely personalities and caring towards children. We couldnt think of any better way to announce we are getting married then to have our two girls let everyone know. 
    They are both big dogs but I swear they think they are lap dogs and want nothing more then to cuddle up with you on the sofa or try to sneak into the bed 😂
  • Options
    Our Tilly was a surprise but very welcoming birthing partner for our daughter Ivy. With my 1st son Stanley had a such a smooth labour, I know I wanted to have my next at home as soon as I gave birth. So while I was pregnant with Ivy I was set that she was being born at home, labour came and rather than rushing to hospital I just chilled at home, things started to progress so we called the midwife and we put up the birthing pool. My labour completely slowed down at this point so was back to relaxing on the sofa giving tilly a cuddle when all of a sudden i felt as i was close to pushing so I got into the pool in minutes my contraction came fast and stronge.

My waters popped and no word of lie she forced herself down my birth canal so I pushed and than pushed. Than I tried again and she didnt not budge so I was lifted out of the pool next to Tillys bed where she just watch as good as gold. The midwife gave Ivy twist and out she came and was placed in my arms at this point Tilly started to lick my toes like to tell me it's all ok now mum ❤
  • Options
    This is my gorgeous Malamute, Nakoma. This pic was taken when he cheekily jumped on the bed when I left the bedroom for a couple of seconds about 4 years ago now. He used to get on the bed every morning with me with the stealth of a cat, leaping over me so not to wake me, (a 10 stone dog making himself as light as a feather!), then after he'd slept back to back with me a couple of hours, he'd put his 'hand' on my shoulder and pull me towards him for a 'good morning' smooch. I miss those days for they are long gone since he went blind 4 years ago, at the age of 6. I still get the smoochy kisses of course, but miss the cuddle ups on the bed, though as I type, he is on the sofa with me. We went through a horrendous journey with the discovery of his blindness and trying to regain his sight, and almost lost him one weekend thanks to his medication. He got his sight back for a short period of time after we stopped the meds, but alas, it wasn't to be. Nakoma amazes me every day with how he deals with his problems. He is always chasing his tail! I love my boy and don't know where I would be without him.
  • Options
    Beau was bought after my husband did an Ironman as my reward for putting up will all the training! He has been such a sweet boy since and is the perfect partner to get you out and about exploring the countryside! We even manage to get the children to join in the some of the walks to peel them away from technology! 
  • Options
    our black labrador,Landy makes our day on our trips to the beach in the evening x
  • Options
    We lost our beautiful collie almost two years ago now- He was 14. Such a clever, intelligent boy who always had so much time for our family of 5.. He adored our children so much and had such a strong bond with our other two dogs. When he died, a part of me died too - I miss him so much.

Last year we bought Chippy a beautiful collie  .. We travelled miles for him to a welsh farm.. He looks exactly like our boy who passed away, and has so much love to give to our family - He greets our children every morning with a little howl, and LOVES his AATTU dog food. We love taking him everywhere with us - One of his trips was to Switzerland in the camper van with us - He LOVED france!

I couldn't imagine life without dogs, they make our home complete. The heart ache from loosing our boy is still with me every day - I will never forget him :) xx
  • Options
    poshpawsposhpaws Regular
    edited Oct 15, 2019 11:40AM
    Our little dog Rory always makes us laugh when he goes out for a pee, as he walks on his front legs whilst doing it! He is a tiny Chihuahua x Jack Russell and a better natured little guy you couldn't hope to meet. He comforts my husband when his Rheumatoid Arthritis is playing up, and means the world to us both.
  • Options
    We have two dogs, they are truly part of the family. Pickle and Pepper have been with us through ups and downs. My favourite memory is my youngest daughter falling asleep on them every night. If I can't find the dogs they'll be in her bed with her. They are truly her comfort blanket and they both share such a strong bond. 

• Options

Cody is our little hero.  He may be small but often comes to the rescue.  One day, whilst on a walk, he sniffed out a wallet, lying in long grass, which had been lost or stolen and I was able to return it to its owner.  Another time we were walking in a large forest when he suddenly disappeared into the trees.  I waited, thinking he was on the scent of a rabbit or squirrel, but he didn't come back for ages.  I therefore followed him into the woods, only to find a lurcher type dog tied to a tree.  I managed to gently untie him and found a number on his collar.  I tried ringing the number but got no reply so was going to take him home with me and then to an animal shelter or the police.  Whilst walking back to our car, I heard people calling and eventually managed to re-unite them with their dog.  Apparently he was a rescue and they had only had him a week.  Something had spooked him and he had run off, trailing his extending lead behind him and managed to get it wrapped around the tree.  All was well in the end due to our clever little Cody!
  • Options
    Dogs help family come together, we go for more walks together as a family and really bond while doing so.  I thing animals in general bring calm and stress relief to a household and they are lifelong companions that don't judge and love you for being you - faults and all!
  • Options
    Our Toby is a very loving and funny dog. He talks to us with his eyes and the different looks be gives us. His Elvis impression amuses us no end, when he lifts his top lip on one side.
  • Options
    No words can truly express how much my Border Collie means to me and my family. He is such a loving dog, we'd be lost without him. He is my reason to smile when I don't feel like it, he is my reason to leave the house when I'd rather stay shut away, he is, he is my reason to be happy when I don't feel I can be. He is my best friend and our family's saviour, last year he ran to the house and alerted us when my dad had an accident in the field and was unconscious with a head wound. He is the best dog you could wish for ♡
  • Options
    my corgi loves meeting new people!
  • Options
    My childhood dog bes was incredible, one Christmas when I was around 5/6 my dad & I took him for a walk over the park & my dad accidentally walked onto a frozen lake, there was snow on the ground so we couldn’t see to avoid it, The ice cracked & dad fell in, he was luckily only on the edge but the water was still quite deep, bes without hesitation jumped in after Him & pulled so hard on my dads tan leather jacket to pull him up... I was so scared, but thank god for brave bes, dad and bes were literally inseparable after that. My dad passed away when I was 11, with bes following just 2 months later. 

• Options
    I maintain that our rescue hound helped rescue me!
    I was trying to find a new 'Normal' after some gruelling medical treatment had left me struggling to find my way.  When he arrived, he was the reason I crawled from under my duvet each morning to walk him in the nearby woods.  This truly lifted my spirits and helped my soul to heal.
    Despite such an awful start in life, (He was picked up in Cyprus with a badly broken leg and horrendous ear and eye infections,) he's always so very happy. Everything is his favourite thing and he's convinced every person or creature is his friend. Such a shining example of Mindfulness in action as he embraces  the joy in every day.
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions