Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell SMA Careline your best parenting tips for new mums and dads: £200 voucher to be won!

Replies

• Options
    Like any pack leader, let them know who is boss from an early age and don't accept any nonsense.
  • Options
    Make the most of friends and family for babysitting duties! so you still have time for yourself
  • Options
    Parenting is all about making sure your baby is safe, nourished and happy. Everything is trial and error. 
    Take care of yourself by eating well and sleeping when baby sleeps. Trust your instincts and don't expect everyday to be perfect give yourself time to adjust .
  • Options
    Don't worry too much about the state of the house while baba is little, just enjoy the cuddles x

• Options
    Trust your instincts. A mother's intuition is a really important tool. You know your baby better than anyone else. You have got this. 
  • Options
    Once your partner goes back to work, either the night before or in the morning get your partner to leave cereal in a bowl and tea bag in a cup so that when you are holding your baby and only have one free hand you can still make breakfast!
  • Options
    If people offer to help, please take it! Even if it’s so you can shower, make food or even nap! Never compare yourself to other parents. The first few weeks of lack of sleep is hard but trust us when we say it does get better! I definitely recommend getting out the house, go for a walk, meet up with people, go to parent and baby groups as you can find it hard and feel like it’s easier just staying at home and then you feel like you don’t want to go out again! I felt like this and felt it was safer at home on my own but it wasn’t! X

• Options
    Definitely use both ears when it comes to taking advice regarding your baby from every other person! And definitely reach out for help from friends and family as you seriously need them especially during the initial days following childbirth. 
  • Options
    Be honest with your friends and family about how you're feeling - especially when it comes to visits! Look after yourself and your space :smile:
  • Options
    The biggest advice I can give you is to sleep when the baby sleeps, to use your gut instinct- it won’t let you down and to listen to advice from everyone... then make your own mind up!!!! There’s so much conflicting advice that it can make you feel a bit anxious but just use the bits you want to and ignore the rest!!

Also, when it comes to feeding please don’t beat yourself up if something doesn’t go to plan. I tried breastfeeding with all 3 of my children but the longest I was able to do was 4 weeks as my milk didn’t come through well enough. Remember, a fed baby is a happy and healthy baby, regardless of how the baby gets it. They don’t care! It’s pointless crying over ‘spilt’ breast milk! Do what’s best for your baby and that’s different for everyone!

I’ve also found these boards amazing. Lots of girls on hand to help and no question is too much or too personal! It’s a life saver when you’re going through good or bad days!

Finally, enjoy every single second! The time flies! Even enjoy the dreaded night feeds because they don’t last long either... hopefully. Take loads of pictures because you’ll never quite believe that they were ever that small as they grow. 

Cherish them, getting a healthy baby at the end of 9 months really is a little miracle!
    💖🌈💙
  • Options
    Disclaimer- Do not do any of these if you are allergic.
    The best thing for new parents is to get wnough rest and sleep and that is only possible if the newborn baby is well rested and when the mum is at ease. The following Indian herbs helps settle the baby quickly and eases them into having a good sleep as it allows her to pass the gas and poo and stops them from becoming colicky. Also, helps mum to settle her own digestive system and calms and soothes her senses. 
    1. Soak 2 tsp Fenugreek seeds at night and have it first thing in the morning. It will help to increase the strength in mum and increases milk supply. Helps in relieving back pain.
    2. Boil 2 pinches of Dill seeds, 5 pinches of caraway seeds in 2 or 3 ltrs. Of water and have this water throughout the day everyday till 40 days after delivery. This spiced water will help the mums digestive system to come on track after delivery, help settle baby's stomach if the mum is breastfeeding and will save the baby and mum from cough and cold.
    3. Soak 2 tbsp of edible gum in a glass of water and boil it. Drink it once daily to help you get the strength and save yourself from oestoporosis in future as it helps to absorb more calcium. 
    4. A little bit, less than a pinch of nutmeg powder if given to the baby will put the baby to sleep peacefully. 

These tricks are followed by most Indian mothers and it works so well for the baby and mother, I believe this is one of the things which is essential and most european mums are unaware of. Caring for the child becomes easier when these herbs are relaxing and helping the baby and mum to form a routine. A well slept mum and baby makes for a happier and healthier pair. 

One last essential tip for new mums- If your breasts are sore and hurting because of excessive milk, having a warm shower and pressing and massaging it while the warm water is running on your breasts will help in removing the excess milk quite easily with no pain. Better than expressing the milk through a pump machine. 
  • Options
    don't worry about what other people think. You are the best Mum for your baby and happiness is key.
  • Options
    Sarah01uk said:
    Don’t read threads of tips - you’ll get too much conflicting information 😆
    I love that advice - so true!!!

My advice would be travel, young babies are very portable it is a great way to explore the world with them. 
  • Options
    Buy a video monitor, a god send when you think you hear something but can’t tell what! Try and find a Mum support network. Who else can you chat to who’ll totally understand, and they may become friends for life. Try and get them into a sleep routine. It takes lots of love and hard work, but so worth it in the long term. Chat to them all the time. You only realise when they’re older what a huge head start a good vocabulary and confident speech is, and it’s fun! Enjoy every moment as much as you can, even if you’re knackered!
  • Options
    If there are times you feel overwhelmed, worn out and depleted. Take a break. Make sure baby is safe and have a cup of tea. Call someone over and take time to be yourself. You are still you as well as a new parent.
  • Options
    DanikabDanikab New
    edited Jan 25, 2020 9:57PM
    Always follow your own instinct. No body knows your child like you! YOU do what you believe is right and do not listen to others all the time. If you feel a friend/family are being to interfering and making you feel bad/down tell them politely . do not sit and let it bring you down! Spend the first few months cuddling your baby every second you get because they do really grow ever so fast so enjoy every second. And the best advice get your little one in a routine from day one when you are feeding your baby at night try not to turn on the lights / tv be quiet as this is how our children learn night to day time when we are engaging with them. Trust me this really works! And just be happy time will go really fast , the best times are the hardest times! And will be plenty to come ! Slouch in your pjs and just enjoy every single second ! As for Number 2 with nappies Wait a good few minutes once you think they have finished to save any presents on your hands or furniture  😁 
  • Options
    There is no right way or wrong way to parent, just your way.
  • Options
    Keep to a routine for meals, bed, bath, play, quiet time, outside time, noisy/messy time. Even from a very young age. This worked so well for us and really helps you understand why there are tears at times as you know what they need x
  • Options
    use a sling in the house, it will really give you more freedom to move around and do things when baby just won’t be put down and settle. It was a real life saver for me as a single mummy. X
  • Options
    listen to advice and take on board but Always go with your gut
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions