Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Aunt Bessie’s all about your favourite roast dinner memory: £200 Amazon voucher prize!

Replies

• Options
    My favourite memory was when I as a little girl (around 4/5) and it had been raining all day and it was really cold in the house, so I was wearing this really big thick jumper and was playing with my dolls house. At some point during the afternoon, I wander down the stairs and remember seeing all the windows steamed up and smelt the roast beef and crispy potatoes cooking in the oven and hearing the veg and gravy cooking on the hob.

There was a knock on the door and my grandparents walked in out of the rain and I ran to give them hug getting wet in the process, which they laughed about. We then all sat down at the table together and I remember the laughter and the chatter amongst my parents, siblings and grandparents. That was the first Sunday roast that my Nan filled my yorkshire pudding with gravy and I still continue to have it that way today. After dinner we had a jam sponge dessert with custard and I just remember feeling so contented and loved in that moment.

This memory is special to me because, my grandparents are no longer with us and my family are now spread throughout the UK and Europe and in these current times it's difficult to see everyone. So it's nice to be able to pull these memories back even just for a moment.
  • Options
    My favourite memory of eating a roast dinner is whilst being in slow labour at the age of 17! My waters had broken at midnight the night before, and by Sunday at 3pm my contractions were awful, but I was determined to eat the gorgeous beef roast dinner my mum had cooked before going to hospital. So I did, and good job too as my beautiful girl wasn't born until over 24 hours later! You could say the roast dinner kept me going, or put baby off from arriving, you decide :)
  • Options

My son loves it when I cook a pink silverside roast with all the trimmings.I do cheat when it comes to the Yorkies & Aunt Bessies or my cheats.They taste like the home made without the hassle & adorn the roast with fluffy crisp roasties & a selection of veg.Home made gravy from the pan juices finishes the feast.

• Options
    Christmas Roast Dinner 2016
    My favourite roast dinner memory was Christmas 2016. This was an amazing Christmas because all the family were back together after many years spent apart. I didn't know it at the time, but it would be the last Christmas I would spend with my Nanny. She had a huge appetite and as always she ate a huge plateful of food. When her plate arrived she piled it up high and said "I'll never eat all this!" but she always did. She had a big sweet tooth, and she would follow every roast dinner with a huge portion of pudding. She would often have seconds. I really miss our family dinners with her. She would always tell me to eat properly and "have a substantial amount! I always think of her when I have a roast and I make sure I have a "substantial" amount and seconds!! 
  • Options
    My mum and dad split up when I was a baby and my favourite memory of Sunday dinner was when my dad used to come and pick me up every Sunday and take me to my granny's house where without fail she would make a Sunday dinner. The smell would fill the house, and my grandad would come over and give me a big kiss. The house was filled with the smell of sunday dinner and I can still smell and taste the chicken it was always so moist and succulent. I used to look forward to those Sunday's so much as a child, really happy memories x x x 
  • Options
    My favourite roast dinner was the last Christmas my dad was alive, have good memories of us all around the table digging in to out Christmas dinner. Wish he was still here 
  • Options
    My best memory was roast dinner with my late grandparents, parents, sisters and extended family at their house.  They had an enormous table always laden with goodies.
  • Options
    My favourite memory was a Christmas Day when I younger. We had a delicious roast dinner. Both set of my grandparents were there, along with my sister and parents. We all took our time to enjoy our food and chat to all our family. The turkey was cooked all night and we had pigs in blankets and roast potatoes cooked in goose fat. Such good memories. 
  • Options
    Mine has to be the first roast dinner we had in our new house when I was 10. We sat down to a delicious roast pork dinner (complete with yorkshire puddings of course!) and my dad told me that we would be getting a puppy the following week! Our golden lab Alfie died a few years ago now but I'll always remember that family dinner as the start of my love for him!
  • Options
    I have some great memories of roast dinners made by my nan, she made the best roast potatoes ever and would always pile our plates high with food. We would always then have a vast array of desserts to follow. We would always have such a laugh with the stories my grandparents would tell and myself and my mum would look at each other and start laughing at all of the things they got muddled up with..  <3:D
  • Options
    My favourite roast memory was going out for a special dinner to celebrate my Husband's Nans 100th birthday. Roast was always her favourite. They decorated the table for her it was a lovely meal.
  • Options
    My favourite roast dinner moment was 7 years ago when I had just started dated my partner, I was meeting his family for the first time and his mum made a big roast dinner, during the meal, my mother in law spilt her wine and it went all over my dinner but because I didn’t want to seem rude the first time meeting them, I said that none had gone on my food and proceeded to eat the roast covered in white wine (which I hate haha). We all laugh about it now and it’s definitely me favourite roast dinner memory.
  • Options
    My favourite Sunday dinner memory is going to my Grandmas house in Yorkshire when I was a child in the 80s. We had a huge family including 16 cousins, but only a 8 seat table. We all had to queue around the table to get our dinner, and then find somewhere to sit to eat - the carpet, the stairs and even in the garden. Yorkshire puddings were always our favourite part of the meal as my Grandma always made sure there were lots for everyone.
  • Options
    Just after we got married in 1981 we invited my Mother to Sunday lunch which my new husband cooked.  He was very proud of his prowess in the kitchen and how cooked everything from scratch using local produce where possible.  My Mother was obviously enjoying having a meal cooked for her and meaning well said ‘The gravy is lovely - is it Bisto’? My bubble was quite affronted.   He loved her to bits but never forgot it  and mentioned it frequently until she died many years later.
  • Options
    My favourite roast dinner memory was Christmas Day 2012. It was my son’s first Christmas so was a very special day. Sadly my father was terminally ill at this time, he was very frail and poorly and in tremendous pain but he set it all aside for that day to make it memorable and a happy occasion. He got up for the first time in ages, sat around the table with us laughing, pulling crackers and having fun and making it so special. He passed away just a month later but thanks to his massive effort that day it means I will forever get to remember and smile at the memory of the whole family together with him eating one handed so he could hold my 2 month old son at the same time with a beaming smile on his face. I can’t picture any other Christmas dinner particularly but I will never forget that one. 
  • Options
    Roast Dinner as a child at Christmas time was always fantastic.
    I'm one of five, so dinner times were a large gathering, very noisy, chaotic but so much fun!
    I don't think there's anything quite like that feeling of coming together and enjoying a roast dinner together on the happiest day of the year!
    I'm now a mum of seven young children, and I love recreating my own happy childhood memories with my own children.
    We put out a large variety of different meats and vegetables, the kids pick and I help them plate up what they would like.
    Of course, we never forget the pudding(s) afterwards!
    It's very loud, and still very chaotic, but I wouldn't change a thing about it!
  • Options
    I remember i was about 10 or 11, it was christmas day and both me and my baby sister had chickenpox. My parents went above and beyond to make sure we had the best christmas - including a special christmas roast dinner. Even though we felt horrible and itchy, we had the best roast dinner and christmas.
  • Options
    My Mother could make the most excellent Lamb Roast on Sundays when we were all young. She made mint sauce and gravy, and sprouts with lovely roast potatoes and sometimes carrot and turnip and made everything so lovingly. What made this so special was that she lost her memory, they call it Alzeheimers and it's victims become shadows of themselves. Memories remain of how wonderful they were (and are), caring and loving but now rely upon others to feed and care for them.
  • Options
    When I was young we had chicken at Christmas or goose.  It's funny now to think that chicken was for special occasions.  My Mum was a splendid cook and always made the most tremendous Yorkshire puddings. 
  • Options
    My mum loves her roast dinner, usually beef. It is a family tradition each Sunday and my mum cooks for all the family. 
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions