Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone on the TWW and After due on 8/07/18 - Part 5

Replies

• Options
    Hi @Genabella, I've had the same issue with NHS. Got a letter back in August to say I am on the waiting list and should get my lap surgery to remove one of my tubes within 12weeks that will be up in November. I have not heard anything back so far and called them to find out they are also running behind and I am likely to get my surgery in January... I was so disappointed as my letter states 12weeks and I had this deadline set in my mind, so now also thinking about going private. It's just frustrating to say I would pay thousands of pounds for something I am getting for free on NHS, but not sure how long can I just sit around and wait for that date to arrive. If I go private they will get it done 3weeks from now and I can finally get out of this limbo. But then what if I get it done, pay for it, then they send me a date and I regret paying all that money... We were supposed to start IVF this week so I am gutted to still just wait because we can't start before my lap surgery is done to remove my dodgy tube. 
    Any advice would be highly appreciated! Would you wait or would you pay? There is no guarantee it will be January, it can easily be pushed back again as everyone who is in pain or has an emergency obviously get their surgeries before I do, fertility never takes priority that I understand, so now I am leaning towards paying for it, but then still scared I will regret it after.

• Options
    I get it fully Aggs, it’s so frustrating. Our follow up was to be end Oct and they told me yesterday I was just lucky when I called in July I got a last min cancellation but they are still working from referrals in April 🙈 I’m gonna pay for the next app it’s £150 and see what happens at that point. We rally at the minute can’t afford to pay for the ivf but we will see what happens at the app. I have another Gynae app tomorro I’ve no clue what for, and my hubby is away so it’s only me going. I hope if we have this app tomorrow and then the one in Nov we will be able to make a decision then on what we do next, but my hubby is starting to get impatient too so I want to get on with it. 
  • Options
    @Ags99 if you can afford it and money isn’t too much of an issue then I’d say go private but if your going to save thousands for the sake of a few weeks months then I’d say wait. I know how frustrating it is as I was ready to start ivf in March but on the nhs it’s always a waiting game and I’m finally starting ivf today. I’m glad we have waited though as we would’ve have to taken out a loan and have the financial pressure on top of everything. Being in limbo is the hardest part but be assured when things happen, they happen quickly. Keep pushing and checking for cancellations too that’s what I did x 
  • Options
    Ah I’m delighted ur starting today!!keep us posted on how u get on! 
  • Options
    Thanks girls, thing is that we do have the money for the surgery, but it also means we won't be able to pay for IVF if it comes to that. We get 3full rounds on NHS up here in Scotland, so we shouldn't need to go private, but as I am sure you understand my worry is what if we reach this point again after we paid for the surgery? We go private to have the surgery then we might end up waiting for IVF for ages because they will have a back log. Then we wait and wait feeling silly for getting this surgery done as there was no point of doing that, because for some other reason we again end up waiting for ages for NHS. IT is a massive gamble. Sounds do stupid to pay thousands just to have a surgery potentially 1-2months sooner then we can very easily end up at the same place just waiting for ages. 
    We both have good steady jobs, can put aside some money every month, but if we had to pay for IVF after paying for this surgery we wouldn't be able to do that. The only scenario it makes sense to go and get the surgery done privately is IF then we can start IVF as scheduled. That we all know is a big IF, but at the moment I think I just need to feel like I am taking control back, because that will save my mental health :)
    The issue with this cancellation is that quite understandably I realised if they have a cancellation they will certainly give that to someone who is in pain or needs the surgery more than I do. I have no medical issues, having a dodgy tube doesn't threaten my life or health, I can live happily ever after with this tube, only I can't start IVF that is hardly an emergency to be fair....
  • Options
    I think I think form what your saying, hard as it is to decide, unless they can pretty much guarantee that u won’t be waiting around for the IVF after your surgery then it’s risky to spend the money, as u said you don’t want to regret spending the money if you end up waiting for ages on the ivf. It’s so hard to know what to do. What does your oh think? 
  • Options
    He says everyone is spending their money on things they want. If you walk into a shop with £5 and you are thirsty it doesn't matter whether the shop has food you like or not, even if you know you will get hungry later on, you will buy a drink regardless. so he says we want to get the surgery done so we should pay for that. And then we will deal with the rest once we get there. But without the surgery we can't get there, so there is no point raising these fears and worry about issues that might happen in the future, we should focus on what is right in front of us and sort that. 
    Also if we need to wait for THAT long it will also give us time to save up, and I see your point. He is a smart cookie, not just a pretty face (his favourite saying haha)!
  • Options
    @Ags99 life threatening or not your still and priority and it’s effecting your well being, you got to push for what you want as no one else is. How much would the surgery be just out of curiosity? I honestly understand how you feel, I was a wreck during all the waiting in between appointments but as soon as we had our foot in the door at the fertility clinic I was so relaxed and different women lol. In reflection I am glad we waited but when your stuck in limbo you just want a date and a plan of action and it’s hard to see the end in sight. 

Just done my first injection girls, 1 down.. 100 more to go lol. It was really easy and not half as bad as I was expecting. I’ve just got to remember how to do it on my own now!! 🥴
  • Options
    Lacey did u go private or NhS? How long did the whole thing take for u? 
    Good woman with the injections!!

• Options
    Hi @Lacey Til, I know it is effecting my well being... I am trying to be pushy as much as I can, just had a call from my GP and asked her if it's likely the date will be pushed back again. Her response was that they are trying to do these surgeries as soon as they can because all the delays are affecting their numbers and ratings. Not sure what to do with that information though... Even if I had a date doesn't matter if it's far away, but just give me some certainty in my life, it would make such a massive difference. 
    This is a lap surgery, I can get it done somewhere between 2 and 3K, the whole thing takes less than one hour and I can go home once it's done. This is why I don't understand how can it get delayed for over 3months? 
    Well done you for your first poking exercise being a success, I heard the first one is the worst, once you know what to expect the fear goes away :)
  • Options
    @Genabella We are being funded by NHS but at a private hospital, so super happy about that. Brief story, I’ve always suffered in the ladies department. I’ve had two surgeries one in 2011 (laser treatment) and a lap in 2017 to remove ovarian cyst where they also diagnosed me with endo. Was told if we wanted kids to start trying for a baby as best chances were a year after the op, nothing happened so went back to GP Oct 2018. Sp from first going to the Dr’s to starting IVF it’s been exactly 1 year. I went private for my tests as I have insurance but they don’t cover fertility treatment. But in all honesty it didn’t speed things up as I had to start all over again on the NHS. However, i do count myself lucky as I know some areas you have to wait years to start treatment and ours was immediate once we were finally at the clinic. Hope that helps a little, I know how hard it is waiting and not knowing what’s going on x 
  • Options
    @Ags99 I’d probably pay at that price for the peace of mind and sanity. I don’t understand how you can pay and have it done immediately yet nhs is months but guess money talks. Let’s us know what you decide x 
  • Options
    Thanks @Lacey Till , so you have had a lap surgery for your cyst? Did they advise you not to try for a year? Or maybe I misread your message sorry, having a strange day :)

• Options
    @ags99 no they said get trying straight away lol once I felt ready as best chance of conceiving was in the first year after my op. 
  • Options
    oh, I see ok, it makes sense now! :) I was told to wait for 2cycles after the lap surgery then I can start IVF. But I guess once I feel ready we can start trying naturally as now we aren't... Apparently if I fell pregnant with Hydrosalpinx I will miscarry so I want to avoid that, so if we go private I will have the surgery in 3weeks time meaning this is my last cycle without TTC. 
  • Options
    @Ags99 I think if you can afford it then just pay for the op as it’s going to put you further along and it’s something you know that has to be done, whereas with ivf you spend thousands on something that might not work but at least with your op you’ll be benefiting if that makes sense? 3weeks is nothing and like you say you can enjoy Xmas and hopefully start ivf within the new year if it doesn’t happen naturally. Have you asked how long the wait is in your area? I rang up the fertility clinic before being referred and had a chat to them, they actually advised me to wait on the nhs rather than pay and were really helpful and glad they weren’t just after our money. x 
  • Options
    I have to go to this “midwifery led fertility and gynae” app in the morning. I’ve no idea what to expect or what it’s for. Hubby not back until Friday so have to go alone. 🙈
  • Options
    Aggs I feel you and oh should do what is right for you both and if that is paying for the surgery than do it xxx

Genebella good luck with apt today hunni wont be long till you find out what it is about xxx

Hope everyone else is ok? Xxx
  • Options
    Hi ladies. So I’m  Just back from app. Turns out we were referred to two different neighbouring trusts. 🤷🏻‍♀️ The one today is a midwife led clinic. They have requested my hubbys results from the regional fertility clinic, and I had another internal scan. Ive to get bloods done again in two weeks cause there’s no record of prolactin results, which is annoying as I thought I had all the blood work done. Then they give all the info to consultants and within two/3 weeks they set up a phone app to discuss what’s next. She said if everything g comes back “normal” then they will take us back there and look at IUI, otherwise they will refer back to the fertility centre for more treatment.

• Options
    @Ags99 it's not an easy decision to make but all the best in whatever you decide to do.
    @Genabella it must be frustrating for you to repeat tests just because these systems don't seem to talk to each other. I hope that they are able to progress your case quicker this time. Fx.

@Trying4number2now how are you hun? Have you decided on a private scan? If yes, when is this?

@Lacey Till good luck with your 2nd injection.
    @sas1101 it's also a waiting game now for you isn't it? Fx that you have nice things/events to keep you distracted.
    Hope everyone else is plodding along fine👌

As for me,  just trying to keep relaxed by reading and watching comedy. Test date is a week from today. 
This discussion has been closed.