Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Jan 15 Babies

Replies

• Options

The pharmacist is right essie itching is a good sign. Just try not to scratch lol! 

• Options

Do u think the little red marks sound normal? Have u had anything like that or know from experience if that would be normal?

the health visitor just called and told me to Try a bath with salt and keep the skin separate and let as much air get to the skin as possible but said she's about tomorrow if i wants her to pop in. Also as im on antibiotics there's not much more they could do

• Options

It's hard to say without seeing it but red spots aren't normally present. Any redness can mean infection but as the health visitor said you are already on antibiotics so not much else you can do. Try not to let your knickers or trousers rub on the scar, I find mine hurts when that happens and gets a little red. 

• Options

It never does im still in huge knickers and maternity leggings lol even though they sag I'm just too paranoid about it

• Options

Oh time is passing so quickly, wish I could slow time down. Chloe is already 6 weeks old and isn't a newborn anymore, she smiles all the time and follows you with her eyes and loves being on her jungle play mat batting the animals hanging over her. She is no longer a little ball of baggy pink skin, we saw the health visitor today and she now weighs 11lb 14oz! And is just under the top centile for her length, she is filling her 0-3 month babygrows already! 

• Options

I feel the same thehoads, makes me all emotional every day seeing how much she has changed already, makes me think I will need to do it all again!! 

Holly is 1 mth tomorrow 

• Options

Its a good thing I didn't start having babies in my twenties or I'd be staring in my own documentary by now! 

• Options

Please tell me it gets easier ladies? Lol any of you littles sleeping longer at night yet?

• Options

Me too ha ha, I always thought I would be complete with two, but the labour was so amazing I can't stop thinking I need to do it again 

• Options

I know what you mean bumble I really enjoy giving birth.

Essie I've always said the jump from no babies to 1 baby is the hardest. After that you know what to expect and are far more chilled out. Chloe isn't to bad at night we head off to bed around 11 and she will stir every 2-3 hrs for a feed not even opening her eyes, they only last 5 minutes which makes it ok. She is still grunting and groaning in her sleep, some nights are better than others but I'm getting better at sleeping through it. Husband gets up with the bigger little ones and Chloe and I get up around 8.30-9. How is it for you?

• Options

Definately that's the hardest jump, 1-2 is no where beer as hard as you never really get the decent sleep anyway. Holly feeds at 10/11pm, then 3am then 5.30 x 

• Options

The past two nights have been the worst. He's took his last feed around half 11, bed by 12. And then he moans away for about an hour, sleeps an hour and then I give him his dummy constantly for the next hour and then get up and feed him. Then he takes another hour to fall asleep, sleeps an hour and gets up early again for his bottle and then he sleeps a full 2/3 hours in between feeds. It means after his 6 and 9 feeds is when I actually get to sleep so we don't get up until 12! 

he has a beanbag in the living room and I thought maybe he preferred that to his glider so ive started just putting him in his glider more. He sleeps perfectly during the day too. 

My mums going to take him tonight because ive literally got nothing done except bottles because I'm so tired. I'm already getting anxiety about leaving him but I think for my sanity I really need to recharge my batteries. because ive been sleeping less my hormones are mad and I'm being really tough on myself and think I'm doing a bad job when I know I'm doing better than I thought I ever would.

• Options

Hugs Essie it is a huge shock to the system the lack of sleep. Just be prepared that having a full nights sleep tonight might actually make you feel worst - no idea why that is! 

You will be doing a fab job so don't beat yourself up. Why not feed him rather than doing the hour of the dummy, as he might be cluster feeding which in the long run gives you longer stretches in the night. So those few feeds that seem too close together actually will give you the bigger chunk of sleep at the right time .

They are programmed to do that in the early hours as if you were breast feeding that's when your body produces most milk so he is effectively doing what all littlies do. Holly cluster fed between 9pm and 3am for the first 3 weeks. Now it has settled down, she does longer stretches in the night and feeds loads in the morning when we get back from the school run. 

It is exhausting but it really doesn't last forever so hang on in there x 

• Options

I thought it was just bf babies that cluster fed? He's bottle? Suppose no harm in tryin. Though he's at 5oz so I'm worried id overfeed him

• Options

deffo sounds like he is wanting to cluster feed, its all babies - he won't know he's not on the boob. He might only take an ounce or two at that feed though , might be worth a try Hun x 

• Options

Hi Essie

I totally agree with everyone, don't be hard on yourself, you are doing a great job! The tiredness with your first always seemed worse than with subsequent babies as well, probably because you get used to the lack of sleep and undisturbed nights.

Archie wakes up at about 2 am going to bed at 9-10pm after his bath at 7pm where he stays awake until his 8:45 feed. This tires him out enough so that he has a stretch of sleep until 2-3am. I have also just started to give him his dummy at this time in the last few nights which stretches out his sleep until 3-3:30am although he stirs quite a bit during this period where I am on edge just waiting for when I will need to give him his bottle.

he then wakes up about 4.30-6am for the next feed, so far less sleep between feeds but that I believe is because he has gone for as long as he can in the first stretch of sleep.

it does get better, normally after they are 6-8 weeks old and taking more milk. 

Do you have a routine at night such as a nighttime bath at around the same time each night?

• Options

Aww essie you are doing a fab job don't beat yourself up. It's just the lack of sleep making you feel like that. 

i start Grace's last feed at 10pm and she doesn't go to sleep til about 12pm. Like the othes say try to cluster feed. Grace sometimes takes a full 5oz at 10pm and will just be abit milk drunk but not in a deep sleep for bed. I often have to top her up another 1-2oz before 12pm then she sleeps til 6-7am. I agree I wouldn't bother putting his dummy in for an hour if it's just delaying the fact you need to feed him.

Also I started Grace on hungry milk for her bedtime bottle and she's on normal first milk during the day. Hungry milk is from birth but I know the health visitors moan and say we shouldn't use it as it can constipate but Grace's bowels are fine and I literally only give it at bedtime to avoid her becomingn constipated. It makes them fuller for longer And I get 6-7 hours out of her. Maybe give it a go? 

• Options

that's a really good idea to give hungrier milk just before bed, I never thought of that! Am going to try that, thanks for that idea!

did we ever hear from Mrsboysmum? X

• Options

All those sound like good ideas none even crossed my mind. I just assumed he's notncrying he's not hungry. I'll try a bottle in between tonight if he wakes. 

im not in a routine, his bottles are always 3-4 hours so it's a different time every night he feeds. The bath doesn't relax him to sleep like I thought it would. The health visitor just said he wouldn't have a routine for a while and I had to forget night and day but I can't sleep all day and be awake all night

• Options

Your welcome jo I hope it works for you too

essie grace doesn't always cry when she wants feeding it's normally a little moan and she wiggles like mad in her Moses basket. I try and sleep through it at 6am and hope she will drift off again but she doesn't so I just feed her. Get some hungry milk essie I think it will really work for you! Good luck and enjoy your sleep tonight without him. X