Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Summer 2013 IVF/ISCI ladies

Replies

• Options

Hi ladies, just to give you an update, had my down regulation scan and embryo transfer trial, which I wasn't sure what to expect and no body had explained it to me. My husband came with me  but he wasn't allowed in the room unless he put full blue scrubs on, so off he went to the waiting room! First they did the scan to check down reg had worked, and it has so that was good news. Then they use a speculum and pass a small tube through cervix as they will when transferring the egg, that was no different to having a smear done, so no traumas!!!

So, I start gonal f tonight, I have a scans booked next mon, wed and Friday. They said if all goes well and to plan then egg collection could be from next Friday but more likely  the following mon/Tuesday!!

• Options

Thats wonderful news andi! Happy to hear that things are moving along.

• Options

Lots happening with all you ladies will reply properly later just wanted to say Iv GOT THE MEDS! Argh! X

• Options

That's great joey, hopefully it's not too overwhelming seeing it all... One step closer to your bfp x 

• Options

Hiya image reading all this is getting me very excited!! imageimage this is a lucky thread ladies i can feel it image... 

andi u are so close and i'm so excited for you!! keep yourself nice and relaxed, ur guna do great!! .. i'm trying to use your journey as an estimate for mine lol! image m i right in saying you were down reg 17 days, and if you start gonal f tonight have u finished down reg?

and.... GO JOEY!!! got your meds thats fantastic!!!

i have my injection lesson tomorrow and i get my meds then... not far behind u guys!! image xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

• Options

Hey Andi congrats on getting this far! How have you found the meds? I have buserelin for down reg and Menopur for stimulation and then ovitrelle for the trigger shot! some are in the fridge and others a cool cupboard, a sharps box and loads of needles! I am glad of these sites as I was expecting all the gubbins if not think I may have passed out! So what date are on for for egg collection?

We are having IUI for us it is just the trigger then hubbies little chaps are put up lol! and then fingers crossed! 

Really hoping we can start with July's period due on the 1st as long as they can get me in for baseline ultrasound with the first few days. Fingers crossed my sis' hen do is in August and wedding at the end!!! 

How are you Kimberley? let me know how your meds lesson goes! ours is next Thursday. Be nice to be with other couples who are in the same boat. All the best everyone : ) lots of virtual hugs xxx

• Options

thanks joey! do you know when you strat your buserelin injections? xx

• Options

Wow it's getting exciting now everyone is so close x

kimberley, hope you appointment/lesson goes ok today.

joey, yeah I've got buserelin, gonal f, then menupur, not sure what my trigger shot is but that's in the fridge!!! 

The gonal f comes in big boxes but its a tiny vial with loads of needles, but I just worked out I will only get 2-3 days out of each vial so loads of the needles will be excess.

i just wanted to mention that I'm still having a very light period (nearly 2 weeks) apparently it's very common with buserelin and the nurse said it usually disappears when the gonalf starts to kick in.... Hope it's soon!

i don't think I've had any side effects really, although husband said I was 'snappy' last night so were the drugs kickin in? I put it down to him annoying me!! image

• Options

Hey how was ur injection lesson? Think I start the first lot of jabs beginning on July depends on Aunt Flo at the moment. Did you get a plan for all your treatment? Thanks what I'm looking forward too, so I can get planning and getting the time off work! The hospital is 40mins away! 

How are you doing Andi? I am keeping hopeful yet realistic it is hard! Iui doesn't have massive success rates but better than what we are doing now lol! Xxx

• Options

hey guys!! got my meds!! yay!!

injection lesson was fine!! makes it all seem very real having the injections sat in my living room! i start buserelin on wednesday. needles look worse than what they are, i have lots of spare needles so me n the hubbs just had a practice.. i'll be honest, i had a slight panic attack, even though the needle is small, (wimp) but once we stuck it in i didnt believe it was actually in my skin.. i could not even feel a slight sting!! so i feel sooo much better now!! 

joey-- yes they gave me a rough indication of treatment plan.. obviously they cant be 100% til you start the meds, they said i should be taking the buserelin around 2 weeks.. after the 2 weeks i should have a bleed, when i do i need to contact the clinic for a scan on day 5, they will see how everything is and if i'm ready i'll start gonal f, gonal f is usually taken for around 10 days, they monitor with scans and once they are happy you have the trigger injectrion, then egg collection.. !! 

cant believe we're here ladies image .. hope u are all ok image x x x x

• Options

So happy for you ladies! You're further along in this process than me, but I'm getting lots of great info from you all!  Best of luck over the new few weeks!

I finished my investigation cycle yesterday, our follow-up appointment isn't until july 16th.  At that time we'll sit down with the dr and develop a plan....its going to be a long month.

• Options

Fab news! Glad the lesson helped and yeah it's weird having meds at home! Have u practiced at home with just the sharp or was that in the lesson? Glad it didn't hurt! Ur plan will be a bit diff to mine I'm 2 injections for 2 weeks then the trigger shot then artificial insemination happens only takes 2 mins then its just a waiting game. So hope it works if not i will be joining you ivf ladies image

hope it goes quick Charley and your time comes around quick glad these forums are helping! All the best everyone xxx

• Options

Kimberley, glad your lesson went well. Wednesday, that's great not long to wait at all. I hope the weekend goes nice and quickly for you!! image

charley, I hope the time passes quickly for you aswell, it is very good that they are doing your investigations within one cycle. i always felt better during tests etc were being done, feels like your moving forward x

Joey, I was on ttc for quite some time and there was a lady who had been trying for quite a while (loopy) she got her bfp on her first go of iui, so fingers crossed you won't be needing to move onto ivf x

• Options

joey, yes i have loads of needles so i just practiced with a sharp, when i finally got the courage to put it in i didn't even know it was in there. So no, didnt hurt at all. image hope evrything goes well guys.. i have everything for you all xx

• Options

Morning everyone!  I'm loving this thread (just found it yesterday) and wanted to join in the enthusiasm.  I've been married 10.5 years, but no pregnancy.  I'm 34 and he's 37.  Early Sept 2012 I went to the doctors to request a fertility referral.  We had our 1st hospital appt end of May 2013, and now know that my husband suffers from azoospermia so will be doing some IVF and some surgical sperm removal - so tough on both parties!  We have our next appointment end of July - can't wait, but not sure what to expect. 

Also not sure when I should tell my employer about this - I'm a carer so it can be quite physical work at times, and I think that they will be understanding, but can't be sure until I actually tell them!!  Any advice on when's best to tell them?

• Options

Hi everyone, I feel that I am kind of late joining in this crowd but it seems so lovely and so helpful and I think its something that I really need. 

So where we are at is, after having wars with our doctors loosing test results and being awful we finally had our appointment up the hospital yesterday. I was prepared for it to be IVF but I think now that I thought there might be a kind of lesser option? Its sperm count that is the issue (as far as we know) so I think I hoped there would be an intermediate option. I managed to keep it together at the hospital but didnt do so well once home, got upset. The realisation I guess. 
    Husband has blood taken and sent to Cambridge for chromosome analysis, to see if he has a gene for cysticfibro - is this normal? I am being tested for everything else they can think of! I also have to have (what i suppose is routine) an invention of dye to see if everything is good with me. 
    Until i read this thread I hadnt thought about watiing times, I know what clinic I will be refered to, do you think I could phone them up and ask? So i prepared if there is a long waiting period - there were a lot of couples in the waiting room yesterday...
    Our next appointment isnt until 7th August! It feels like so long away, but i do have that test on day 10 before that.
    We think that we will just tell our parents so they can help just manage potentially awkward situations - protect us a bit you know?
    Its seems so lovely how everyone on here talks, I wish I was closer to where everyone else is - feel so far away fromn having injections etc - 8 weeks away at the very least! 
    Sorry this message is a bit all over the place, this is just my first outlet of people that can actually understand! There seems to be a sudden influx of newbies to the group to image

• Options

Hi Laura37, I found some other good suggestions on another forum on this site. I think that it depends on the type of boss that you have. Some people suggested telling your employer that you have ovarian cysts - but I am not sure if I am going to go for that one. Personally I think that I am just going to mention that I have hospital appointments, I dont think that anyone will ask anymore details, but i just have an office job

• Options

hi Jo, just wanted to say yes it is normal for them to test for cystic fibrosis. They do what seems like hundreds of blood tests on men when it's male related. they do it to rule anything out that could be causing the low count. My husband had no sperm coming out but all the blood tests were negative. Do keep on top of finding out his blood results because that put our treatment right back! All the bestimage 

• Options

Hi all you newbies : ) and welcome hope your stay here isnt too long (in the nicest possible way!) Sorry to hear that you too are struggling but happy you have found this site! it is a lifeline ttc can really take over your life at times!

Really hope time flies and you can get moving soon, it feels like a lifetime ago we first went to the gp, since then its been 3 SA test a PCT test loads of bloods STI checks, the wrong diagnosis, another clinic, AMH bloods and a HSG and only now are we about to start treatment! gosh it sinks in when you write it down! I keep a journal and it really helps get all those feelings out : ) 

As for telling your boss just be careful I confided in a work 'friend' or so I thought and she told all the other girls I work with! My boss thankfully has been supportive and working in retail it is easier. I worked in care up until March and found it to be stressful and a bit risky as the clients could be violent. It is a nice break although pays terribly! 

Have they suggested an IUI Jo? 

all the best xxx

• Options

when we went to the hospital we talked to a nice learner rather than the doctor himself. She was nice but I think she forgot that she was giving us very big news. She went and talked to the doctor, came back in and very quickly just said "IVF we think would be best" and started filling out all the blood test cards. It wasn't exactly a shock but I could tell it was news she was used to giving. That is all they have suggested at this stage. I don't think they will suggest IUI for us as husband sperm count is so low that they couldn't/didn't make any judgements on the motility.

Thanks laurel that's good to know, we have hard times with the his test results, those are the ones that they always loose, so far I have had loads more tests than husband, think they don't hold out much hope - maybe it will be different now we r at the hospital. 

Joey- I can't believe that woman at work told everyone! My god, one day she might well know how hard ttc can be and how awful gossiping about it is.

Many many thanks xxx