Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How have you changed your home since you became pregnant and/or had children?  Tell Carpetright!

Replies

• Options

We’ve had to make some big changes to our home! we‘ve had to move our eldest son downstairs. A decision not taken lightly as we’ve given up our front room! I did all the work myself and proud of it!! I had a new window fitted for his security so big windows are shut at night but I’ve had a new window with small openers at the top in the hope we get no surprise visitors at night 😖

we also had to have the wall between his room and the hall re built as it had bowed! Nobody new about our pregnancy and through the sickness I somehow managed 🤢

b4 & after pics as a lounge now bedroom

To this!

imageimage

Our eldest son has Autism and felt he needed his own space now:) He’s a very happy boy!

My youngest son is 7 so he had a new bed and a paint job and doesn’t have his 15 yr old brother waking him at night anymore!!

Ive painted my daughters room silver & light grey and ordering her a bed with desk and fitted wardrobe as she’s stuck in the box room! We added glitter to the paint which is lovely I’m currently finishing this room off! All have laminate floors from Carpetright for ease of cleaning!

Im now stripping our hall and at 7 months pregnant am desperately trying to finish off as exhaustion is setting in!

The hall laminate has been damaged during the building works ( window/wall) so to win some money towards a new hall and stair carpet would be an absolute godsend and one less worry. I gave up work to support my eldest sons difficulties which is why I do most of the work. Hubby is at work supporting us all so seldom has the time to help!

This prize would be very gratefully received 😍

Good luck everyone 🤞

• Options

when I found out I was pregnant with baby no.2 we realised our house was not big enough so we had to extend. we went from a 2 up 2 down to a huge 4 bed house. 3 years on we are still decorating and trying to make it look how we want...but working full time with 2 kids takes it's toll 😂

• Options

Painted the bedrooms with brighter and warming colours

• Options

Thankfully the people who owned our house previously had recently put lovely soft carpet in the spare room, but the walls were boring beige. We therefore painted it to include mountains on one wall & bunting too! However the rest of the house definitely needs a refresh - particularly the hallway which has a lot of traffic!

• Options

We changed our study into a nursery and went for laminate floors for hygiene and practicality as there was bound to be lots of spills.

• Options

we got a new sofa leather not fabric and will be soon changing to laminate flooring

• Options

We have recently had the living room carpet done :) we had hard wood floor but it wasn't very well done and was no good for a crawling baby, it's made the living room so much more cosy now :) when I was pregnant we had the entire bathroom and kitchen ripped out and replaced, the kitchen still isn't finished, I also decorated most of the house while I was pregnant, wallpaper and paint, we hadn't long baught the house when I found out I was pregnant :) it was all painted cream and was scabby looking so did it up a bit.. The kitchen and bathroom got done because the pipes burst in the bathroom and broke the sealing into the kitchen! Absolutely a nightmare but we are getting there now :) 

• Options

A few pics to go with my above post, forgot to mention I did my sons room as well (apologies for its current mess, having a clear out)

imageimageimageimageimage

• Options

we changed our cream carpets to dark brown. Also changed our fabric sofa to a leather so its easier to clean x 

• Options

When I first found out i was pregnant last year, hubs was in the middle of tearing out our old bathroom. This was the one room I didn’t get a say in when we moved in (in laws paid their friend to decorate the bathroom) and I hated it. 

We‘ve also just ripped out the old fireplace and changed the layout of our downstairs living space. Opens up the room ready for when bubz starts crawling/walking. We got a gas safe engineer out to take out the fireplace. Hubs did the rest. 

• Options

Invested in fitted wardrobes

• Options

We have replaced the flooring in the dining room for vinyl so its easier to keep clean , we have washable paint on the walls which seems to work really well , were they is wallpaper we have gone for one that is surface wipeable. The living room is carpeted with a nice hardwearing carpet i have also invested in a carpet cleaner . The sofa has removable cushions so easy to wash and keep clean. Doors and skirting boards are glossed in a water based gloss so they stay white but are all washable . Bathroom has vinyl flooring easier to mop up all those splashes and keep clean. All the upstairs is carpeted but the carpet is one that can be bleached and cleaned accordingly . Furniture not much as changed really as it was all made of materials that were easy to keep clean ., 

• Options

We made the house a fortress with us locked in. Stair gates at the bottom and top, Plug socket protectors, everthing moved above 2 feet from the ground. 

• Options

I decorated 3 different bedrooms in the same house for my dc, changing each room as he grew bigger and outgrew the previous decoration.

I stencilled the walls with murals in the first two and in the third I asked my dc to choose the colour scheme he wanted.

carpets were changed to hard wearing and easy to clean.

The whole house had plenty of storage so accidents could be minimised by keeping tidy and safe.

We have gone through several sofas because kids jump on them and they have to be big and comfy enough for snuggling together.

The kitchen and bathroom floors have been covered with vinyl so I can keep them really clean as accidents happen occasionally.

All in all its been a compromise of what I want with what’s practical and family oriented 

• Options

we've changed to laminate flooring as its much easier to keep clean and have got rid of a few rugs due to trip hazards for our little one 

• Options

Need to have a rethink , the house is like a toy shop ! 

• Options

we gutted the spare room to make it into a nursery- and a general tidy round making it more child friendly.

• Options

We carpeted all the wooden floors, we bought our house when i was 20 weeks and needed every room decorating so pretty much painted wallpaper and carpereted every room; needed all furniture too! Did v well managing with 4000!!! Xx

• Options

We are a large family with number 11 on the way 😀 we have just completely redone the girls big bedroom and laid laminate in there, had the walls knocked down and re put up (nightmare with dust) new paint and wall paper, beds everything new 😁 bathroom has just been redone papered and new lino and the boys bed room has been redone, new paper, paint and carpet. Our bedroom was done 14 months ago and husband decided on a cream carpet. Big mistake with two under 2’s in there. Our bedroom now is our next project us parents need a hideaway 😂 somewhere to relaximage

• Options

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions