Forum home Archived Birth Clubs Due in July 2016
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Due in July 2016 - Part 5

Replies

• Options

I wish. I've to wait two weeks for an appointment. The women on the phone sounded shocked I call to book an appointment. Not sure what I'm going to get it as my midwife said it has to be done it your local GP. 

• Options

Zoie, that's awful!!! Maybe mention it to your midwife and see if she can hurry you through an appointm or at least get you booked in for a week or two time, otherwise you'll be running out of time!!!

• Options

Zoie you shouldn't have the whooping cough until after 28 weeks anyway so if I'm not mistaken you've got a couple of weeks until then? X

• Options

When is the latest u can have it I haven't booked it yet oops X 

• Options

You can have it right up until 38 weeks BUT you defy the point of you leave it to close to the bi as the aim is to optimise passive immunity and ensure that baby is born with some immunity so    needs time to pass through placenta. Aim to have it done 32-33 weeks. Gonna try and fit in for mine sometime in the next week as completely forgot! X

• Options

Claire I don't know if there is a latest you can have it but my midwife suggested getting it asap then at least your baby will get some protection from it- on the off chance baby came early, it would be one less thing to worry about! So defs get yourself booked in, can be another thing ticked off the list then :)

• Options

Make sure you do libre :) I just got the nurse to book me in when I had swine flu then I didn't have to worry about forgetting to do it!! Lol!

• Options

I will! Really don't want to go for my next antenatal appointment and have to say I forgot, as a midwife I should know better lol In my defence the weeks are flying by and ive had killer toothache this week so my heads been all over the place x

• Options

Why don't you want to go for your next appointment? I love going to mine just because it means the weeks have ticked by again!

are you a community midwife or hopsital one? I guess if that's your job it's probably not as exciting as us normal people think it is!! Lol!

• Options

I'm hospital based at the moment. Not sure whether I'll ask to go out on community when I return. I do like the hussle and bussle of a busy unit but not sure about it with a nearly one year old. My appointments in all fairness have been exactly the same as anyone's. Thought they may have been a little short and sweet and almost just like going through the motions but my community midwife has really tried not to make it like that and has included my hubbie and given him the info that I already know like the options for place of birth and stuff and has made sure to ask him if there's anything he wants to ask xx

• Options

Ah, that's nice. My midwife this time around is lovely and just seems to chit chat which makes me feel shes easier to approach if I need to. When I had my daughter, although the midwife was nice enough she never seemed overly interested.

i can see why you might want to switch, I'd imagine the working hours would be better to fit around a child if you are community based- although honestly I dont have much clue! Haha!

• Options

Yeah I think community or hospital based the job will always have limitations on just how family friendly it can be. It's very hard to 'clock off' on time when you just about to deliver a baby but talking to the community girls they seem to have a greater work/life balance (at times 😊).

Cant believe I'm actually starting to dread not being there which is strange when I've been counting down to maternity leave since I had like 48 shifts left!!! 

• Options

Must be so hard!! That's why i love my 9:30-5 job!! It's easy and home time means home time!!

haha,com glad I'm not the only one counting shifts left! I really don't have many as for 3 weeks holiday to take and starting maternity leave 2 weeks before edd incase baby wants to come a little early :)

• Options

I don't know whether I will have it u know, I didn't with my son I need to research the risks in case I have a reaction to it. i don't even really know what whooping cough is So need to look into it a bit more :S xx 

• Options

I don't think they did it when I had my daughter either. I had it because if it's something they recommend, id rather be safe than sorry but honestly didn't even think I should look on to it before making that decision!! 

Oooos, maybe I should have!!

• Options

I've become all paranoid since people have been talking about the MMR jab, which I agree with children having and will give to my child, but it just got me thinking about reactions to things so going to do a bit of research X 

• Options

My midwife told me to have it before 36 weeks as gives the baby time to take it in and become immune before they are due to be born suppose it's in case of early labour. Apparently more babies are getting it in the 6 weeks up until their injection so they have brought it in to protect them. I had it when I was little and even though I don't remember i do see the look on my moms face when it's mentioned and it's awful. Not risking putting a new born through that and risk of dying. Sorry to be morbid I'd never forgive myself if she cought it x

• Options

https://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/pertussis-vaccine-in-pregnancy

quite interesting and says about the side effects feeling under the weather X 

• Options

My midewife told me to get it done ASAP. I am 26 weeks so if it's before 36 weeks then I have plenty of time. Just annoying because it's important as my midwife said it can be dangerous so want to get it done ASAP.  

• Options

It says in that link anytime after 16 weeks