Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Best advice you’ve had from your parents? Tell Legal & General: voucher to be won!

Replies

• Options

All your baby/children need is love. They don't care for 'things' 'presents', they remember time, memories, don't stress over trying to get the best of this and that because when it comes down to it, none of that really matters.

I would definitely give the same advice to my children, but also something I've learnt that I wouldnt be able to tell them enough is, Don't get lost in 'life', I still have to remind myself of this sometimes now!! Don't get caught up in things that don't matter, from stressing because of housework or other people's dramas and wether you've said the 'right' thing at that moment. There's so many different ways that can be ment, and at the time you think it matters when It really doesn't. None of it does, being happy and healthy is all anything comes down too. 

• Options

My dad was a photographer (before retiring) and he always told me to take pictures of everything. He was always very good at capturing a moment by taking photographs of the unexpected and often of the small things. We have so many photographs of our childhood which document the momentous occasions and also just day-to-day life, but I love looking back through them and remembering and, as they are full of our memories, they are absolutely priceless. 

I think I'd add, when passing on the advice to my own children, that making memories doesn't have to be about expensive days out, or a holiday to somewhere exotic. Some of my favourite memories with the children have been bramble picking, making cakes, looking for fossils on the beach and dipping in rock pools. And of course, thanks to Dad, I have a billion photographs to go with the memories! 

• Options

The best advice l ever got from my parents is the gift of forgiving others and loving them because you will never know what tomorrow brings. 

I got this advice before our parents passed away. We grew up quite poor My parents struggled to feed us all 5 of us but not one day would l hear them complain. My dad was a happy soul always full of vibrance always loving us and loved the community he lived in. His words were always, 'love for all no matter what happens.' Unfortunately my father was beaten badly after someone tried to rob him  by someone in the same  community he gave his heart to and still even when he was dying he would tell us to love and forgive for us it was difficult as kids to hear that and do that  after his death but in honour of our father and the love he showed to others amidst what had happpened to him we still carry that in our hearts to love others, count each blessing and forgive. My Mum worked hard for us to survive and no matter what we had she would share with others and taught us how to let go and forgive even though the circumstances were difficult but she used to tell us that if you keep beong angry only you will be the one to suffer. therefore her blessing was for us to learn these lessons and pass them to the next generations. I eould live for my children to learn these lessons and will definately be sharing this with them when they have grown up. 

• Options

From a young age my grandad always told me a smiley happy face will get you far. I just used to laugh but growing up I realised it really did help. He now tells my 4 year old this and I think it's lovely :) 

• Options

My mum has been pretty honest about how tough parenthood can be but her comment is that in every situation you can enjoy the moment or endure it and that is a choice.

• Options

The best advice I have ever received is from a nursery nurse who is also a mummy herself. She said not to compare yourself or your children to everyone else. We all grow and develop at different ages and rates and just because you or your children aren't great at one thing, they are probably excelling in something else even if you have not realised it yet. We are all unique in different ways so it's only fair to assume we develop differently too

• Options

I was always told "don't set yourself on fire, to brighten someone else's existence" 

Know your self worth 😊

• Options

I like that one. I'm getting good advice here.

Another one of my mums was don't threaten something that you can't follow thru on

• Options

Never allow anyone to bring you down. You are amazing, kind, loving and intelligent. Always dream big, the universe has your back. You can be anyone you want to be and have anything you want. Always believe and you will always recieve! 

• Options

The best advice from my MIL is sleep when baby sleeps 😂 

• Options

My Mum, who was also told this by her own mother, my Granny, always said;

"never trouble trouble, 'til trouble troubles you" essentially, don't go finding problems, just deal with them as they arise. I used to worry a lot and I think that's useful advice as there really is no point worrying about things you can't change and only putting your energy into solving the issues that truly require your attention. 

I'd advise my kids to never pass up an opportunity as it could be the only chance you got it. Better to take a chance to do something you'd love, than to let self doubt get the better of you and risk  having regrets later on.

• Options

Treat everyone as you would want to be treated

• Options

"Always be kind, but don't give your heart to a world full of takers-for-free". 

This advice came from my mum, who in turn was given it as a young woman from a close friend, who sadly died at a young age.  She turned his words into part of a song - which she sang to me as a child.  I live by this advice, and feel it has moulded who I have grown to be.  I interpret it as being forever kind with a mindfulness of care to myself as well. 

"Now you are gone, but your words linger on" - I hope these words will also 'linger' for my own children.

• Options

I remember when I found out I was pregnant with my 1st I was only 22. I had been with my partner for nearly 4 years by then but I still remembered dreading telling my parents. The advice they gave me was there was worse things happening in the world than a baby. 

she is 5 on monday and she is now a big sister. Through every hard time I remind myself there is worse happening out there. And it's very true.

I will always teach my children the same ideas, no matter how bad things seem they can come to me and that together we can sort it.

• Options

My mom taught me to always save for a rainy day, be careful with your money and make sure you pay bills, keep a roof over your head and put food on the table over anything else. I'm exactly like that now even though I don't have a lot to save I'll try and save every penny I can rather than wasteful spending, I'm already teaching my kids the same! 

• Options

My parents talked me into paying into a pension when I turned 18. 

It was a small amount a month but over the years it built up and I'm steadily building up my pot. 

i would advise my children to definetly do the same and save in an ISA and don't get into debt

• Options

Simple: Always pee before you pick up the baby!

• Options

My parents (especially my dad) always encouraged me to travel and see the world as much as possible.  This is the same advice I would pass down to my children - memories and experiences are so much more valuable than material possessions.

• Options

My dad always used to tell me "Even if you meet someone and think they are a fool don`t write them off straight away, you can learn something from anyone, even if it is just patience and humility!"

• Options

My parents said it to me & now me to my kids best advice ever! If you have nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all 

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions