Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Best advice you’ve had from your parents? Tell Legal & General: voucher to be won!

Replies

• Options

My father would always say to us, when we were covered in mud; "You're not playing right, unless you're covered in mud!" - this is what I tell the kids!

• Options

The best advice I was given was that there is always a solution to a problem. Just step back from it, take 10 mins and go for a walk and then come back to it

• Options

Make the most of every moment, nothing last forever, make memories :)

• Options

My mum taught me to be strong and never give up.

• Options

This was advice from my dad. If you tried your best, you shouldn't be upset with the result. As a bit of a perfectionist, I often need to remind myself of this. I'm trying to pass this onto my 5 year old daughter in order to encourage her to try.

• Options

The best advice my parent ever gave me was if you cannot afford something then save till you can and start paying into a pension as soon as you start work. I followed this advice and I am totally debt free. I won my own home and was able to retire at 50

• Options

My mum has always told me to go with my instinct - something that has proven invaluable time and time again both as a child and an adult.

I always tell my daughter if she believes she can do it, she will. I hope she has confidence in herself in a society that is not always supportive or inclusive.

• Options

i was always told, to make sure your rent/mortgage was paid first, then all your essentials, gas water electric... because then you had a roof and were warm and safe, i always followed this and to this day that is my priority ... i have told my children the same ..

• Options

The best advice I've had from my parents is pick your battles, especially useful with a toddler. Knowing when to insist on something and knowing when to let something go, nobody really cares if a two and a half year is wearing a pink tee shirt and red trousers or wearing wellies to the beach! But saves a lot of tears and tantrums over something that isn't really important. 

• Options

the best advice I was given, start how you mean to carry on, otherwise they will play you up, right from an early age, then it will be harder to change the ways that they have already learnt

• Options

My advice my parents would be is always be positive and keep your chin up :)

• Options

Try not to worry about the little things... great advice, but hard to follow sometimes!

• Options

I would advise my children to treat other people as they would wish to be treated.

I would also tell them not to worry about things that may never happen as that does not alter anything. As a family we tend to think about what may go wrong rather than jump at unexpected opportunities and I would advise my children to avoid doing that and to make the most of every moment.

• Options

My mum told me to enjoy everyday as a mum as they grow up so quick. They really do!! 

I will tell my kids to make the most of their lives and do everything they possibly can because life is too short. 

• Options

The best advice I have ever had from my parents is that anything that is worth having is worth working hard for. whether it is relationships, school, career. It's important to work hard. Another piece of advice I give my children is to look at themselves in the mirror everyday and say out loud. I am beautiful. I love you.

• Options

My mum always said don't tell your best friend what you don't want your enemies to know.My dad's favourite saying was about make up....If you're pretty you don't need it and if you're ugly it's a waste of money. Mine has been Enjoy life and make the most of what you have

• Options

My best advice is to be yourself; as long as you're not hurting anybody, it doesn't matter what others think.

• Options

To not give up on something just because it's daunting or looks difficult. I wanted to throw in the towel after one week of uni, it was so much harder than I thought and even though I was entitled to support from uni, they hadn't sorted it, making it 10x harder! My parents sat me down and listened to my worries, and even gave examples of how they did scary things in their lives when they were younger and stuck with it, and it made them who they are today. It was brilliant advice, as I stuck with it and graduated with a 2:1! 

• Options

always keep in mind mum is always right in the end 

• Options

Mum always told me to treat others as I'd like to be treated myself and to not judge a book by it's cover. I still live by that to this day and tell my daughter the same.

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions