Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Best advice you’ve had from your parents? Tell Legal & General: voucher to be won!

Replies

• Options

My mother told me never to marry anyone less intelligent than myself as I'd get bored by them really quickly. I tell my kids never waste time or money.

• Options

1. Think twice before you speak and if it's still worth saying, say it.

2. Be yourself - that's the best person you can possibly be.

• Options

The best advice given to me was to be yourself and do whatever makes you happy. This meant I didnt necessarily follow the crowd.

• Options

Best advice my mum gave me was 'look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves'. 

• Options

Best advice my mum gave me was 'look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves'. I will be giving same advice to my children.

• Options

Look after your pennies and the pounds look after themselves .

• Options

Don't worry it may never happen was the advice from my mam but sadly I couldn't help myself and worried all the time.I do believe that my daughter knows she can confide in me about anything and I will try to help.

• Options

to be kind and honest  to all

• Options

The best piece of advice given to me by my parents was save every penny possible for the future. Dont waste it on silly things, as getting on the  property ladder is getting harder and harder. I listened to my parents and managed to buy my own house with a third put down as deposit. My daughters now are saving as much as possible and only buy things that they really need and not what they just feel they want.

• Options

My father always reminds me of some advice his father used to give to him:

" As long as you've got a tongue in your head you'll never get lost !" 

And now my daughter always quotes it back to me so it's gone down through three generations !

• Options

The best advice that I have had is to try not to compare yourself to other parents when you are a new parent and make decisions that feel right for you and your baby at the time as no one will be judging you even if it feels like they are. 

• Options

The best piece of advice I was given was to treat people how you would like to be treated yourself, which obviously means to be considerate and think about others , manners don't cost anything 😊

• Options

My mum once asked me, "Why would you want to be normal?" and, as a 13 year old, I took it as an insult, but now I get it!  Why would you?  I would tell my kids that it doesn't matter what others think of you, as long as you are happy with yourself.

• Options

My parents told me always to live within my means, and save up for things I want.  I'm trying to pass this on to my children along with showing them that simply acquiring things doesn't automatically make you happy.

• Options

Believe in yourself - other people may have their opinion of you but only you fully know yourself

• Options

It still sticks in my mind when they told me not to live in a cotton box, to go out and experience life but to just be honest about what I do and where I am. That they didn't want to stifle me or my experiences as a teenager. It really resonated with me and I still hold that conversation close to my heart, remembering to go out and try new things whilst being sensible about it too.

• Options

I was told to never be afraid to speak your mind but always be polite in your response

• Options

My Mum's always told me to make time for myself. I'm her carer, I have 3 children and I work in caring too.  Just half an hour of me time makes so much difference and really does charge my battery ready for some more chaos! Always recharge your batteries :) 

• Options

Trying to look after my son, husband, dog, the house and work, I almost had a break down. I wanted to do the best possible job I could. But I felt like I was spinning plates and I was only getting about 3 hours sleep each night. My mum came to visit and as she hugged me whilst I cried, she told me to stop trying to be like blooming wonder woman. I have to look after myself in order to be able to look after my family etc. My mum is my idol and I was upset to think I could not do as well as she did when we were little. She told me that I clearly do not remember the fact that she did not have to go to work, pay bills, she rarely did housework and she had my grandparents down the road. At this point I laughed and started to feel better. I always think of this when I go to clean the fridge at 11pm or some other non essential task and I head for bed!

• Options

My Mum gave me so much wise advice whilst growing up but one thing that stays with me more than others is her wise words "Don't waste you'r energy in regretting what you never had be thankful for what you have"
    I remember these words in particular when i was pregnant with my first child and had lost my bus fare home on a trip into town. Feeling upset at this my Mum said to me "Why worry over this you'r a millionaire but you don't know it yet"
    I never knew what she meant until the day my Son was born and knew that she was 100% correct image
    The advice i have given to my children will continue to be the same as what was taught to me by my Mum to be thankful each day for what you have as with the strength and love of your family behind you, you can achieve most things in life image

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions