Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Lyclear your stories and thoughts about head lice: vouchers to win!

Replies

• Options

My son is now 18 so (hopefully) head lice are a thing of the past. When he was a child and going to mother and toddler/preschool groups, he would come home with head lice every week. I got so fed up with the expense of buying lotions and potions to get rid of the little critters (something other mums at the groups seemed unwilling to do), I ended up getting a set of clippers and scalping my son to a haircut so short there was nothing for them to cling to. I know this was a little extreme but it solved the problem.

• Options

I remember my horror last Easter when i relise my kids hat headlice. Didnt have any shampoo and home i read on internet to treat headlice with vinegare and lots of condtioner. Its help. But next day i quickly run to Boots to buy Lyclear treatment shampoo.

• Options

Oh gosh I went through out all of my school years without catching the little head crawlers! image
    When my Son was in Primary 6 he returned home from school one afternoon itching his little head like mad!!! I investigated to discover lots of little head lodgers! He was very freaked out! My husband went to our local pharmacy on his return from work to get some lice treatment! We treated my Son and all seemed fine, My husband and I were itching like mad, We also had lice and had to get treatment ourselves, My little lice lodgers were really easy to get rid of but my partner had to repeat treatment 4 times! 
    Luckily (touch wood) they haven't returned! 

• Options

My eldest son (now 19) kept getting nits over and over again due to some parents not treating their children properly. After the 6th time in one year i shaved his head! He was mortified but it was the only way i could think of to stop him getting them for a 7th time!

• Options

The embarrassing moment of a first time mum, I had no idea my son had got head lice at pre school it was not until they hatched I notice, not only did I feel sick to the stomach but I also panicked, I grabbed the hubby's hair clippers and set to cutting his lovely locks away! Was not till the hubby came home and explained that there was treatments out there, which id still have to use to kill off the eggs and bugs did I really crack up, I'd given my poor baby boy a grade 2 all over! The guilt kicked in and I couldn't believe what I'd done!!

Now I check all 3 of my boys hair every Sunday and we have treatment in the bathroom just in case!! 

• Options

I never had head lice/nits when I was a child, so didn’t know what to expect as a mum.  Years later, I remember my then 5 year old son being restless and unable to sleep one night, so I brought him into my bed and comforted him.  It was a day or two after that I finally put two and two together - he was constantly itching his head and, while checking, I finally saw the nits.

The Chemist recommended a lotion that had to stay in overnight, so my son was deloused and his short hair ruthlessly combed.  He was happy and so was I …

… until behind my ears started itching too.  He’d passed the head lice to me.  The horror of it!  Needless to say it was a much harder to sort myself out as I had shoulder length hair.  Leaving in the lotion overnight did the trick, but my hair felt greasy and I felt dirty.  Combing daily took forever.

A number of years later my daughter caught nits.  This time, the Chemist recommended Lyclear crème rinse.  It was brilliant and quick to work, so much easier to use than my son’s lotion.  My daughter, having very long hair, caught nits twice more in primary school but Lyclear crème rinse was my “go to” treatment that never failed to work on her.

• Options

I always thought that only young kids got lice but my eldest had them when she was 15, I spent hours going through her extremely long curly hair and just as I decided I couldn't do any more, I saw the tiniest almost skin coloured lice creep across her scalp. I was gutted. It took me three times to get rid of them completely. 

• Options

Growing up I only ever had nits myself as a kid once, my mum made me stand on the other side of the room and hated the fact I got them. There were all sorts of rumours back then like they only live on clean hair, they only live on blonde hair, if you have your hair tied back in a plait then you wont get them. I had blonde hair which was washed every day and after that; for my school life, I went to school with a plait in my hair that made my eyes water. So I grew up, I had a daughter and when she was age 5 I took her to the hairdressers as I did every now and again as a treat. She had beautiful flowing long blonde hair, halfway through her appointment the lady came over and said to me that she was sorry but she couldn't continue to do her hair as she had found a nit. Just the one! I was so embarrassed but I remembered how insane my own mum went back in the day and didn't want to show my daughter I was horrified. So I apologised and paid and put her in the car and luckily enough there was a chemist 3 doors down from the chemist. I told her I'd be two minutes. I went in and all of a sudden panic hit me. Oh my god, have I got them?, has my mum got them? who has she talked to or stood next to? Now most people would be quiet in front of everyone in the chemist...not me! On my turn, I blurted out that my hairdresser has found a nit in my daughters hair and I need some stuff for them, I continued to ask for some lotion for my daughter, me and my mum, some lotion for the cat, some lotion for the carpets and mattresses and anywhere else she thought she might think they may have got. By this time I'm in a real panic thinking I'm going to have to fumigate the house or get carpet cleaners in. They lady looked at me and laughed, along with lots of chuckles from everyone else in the queue. Well nobody told me they only live in hair!!!!!.... She said they only make lotion for hair and that I'm definitely not to put it on the cat. I did see the funny side. I was very educated that day on nits and I got back to the car like I was a very sensible mum and gave her a big kiss and said dont worry, we'll sort it out. I didn't want her to feel like I did when I was a child. I did however plait her hair for the rest of primary school....just in case! She's not had them since.

• Options

'Touch Wood' my 2 (both school age) have not brought home these little creatures yet - but I do check myself and them regularly. I work in a school and see the frustration from some parents when their child comes home with nits time after time - there are some parents who just do not treat their children and its frustrating.

• Options

I was advised to use tea tree oil to get rid of nits,  perhaps they don't like it but it didnt get rid of them! 

• Options

I used Tea Tree oil on my child's hair to naturally treat head lice.

• Options

When my son was younger, he went on a school trip, and every child was checked the week before departure that heads were clean and clear, up until this point my son had not had any crawlies in his hair, so couldn't understand why? people were checking his head. Monday came, and he left at the crack of dawn, was in fine spirits, with packed lunch, spending money,and what a very excited child. When I went to meet the coach a week later, I could see he was sat alone on the bus, didn't look very happy at all,when he got off, he was full of cold, got a sore throat, didn't look well, didn't look as if he had washed all week. So as soon as I got him home I ran a bath, and then to my horror, I noticed him scratching his head, over and over, I said,let me look in your hair son, he wasn't in the mood for this quite clearly, he wasn't well either. Well to my horror his head was full of walkies, I had never seen so many in all my life, so I did what my mum use to do with me, a white sheet, a bowl with neat washing up liquid and a nit comb, oh my giddy aunt I had never in all my life seen so many, I was so shocked, he was stressed, seeing these things dropping on to the sheet and walking,he cried, he screamed, get them out, mam get them out, I don't want them, it was awful, then I said to him watch this, and I dropped the nit comb into the bowl of neat washing up liquid, and he laughed when the walkies floated to the top and died, it was a short term measure I know, but he thought it real funny, so every couple of hair combed, he wanted me to drop the comb in the bowl, that's it mam you kill em. I went to my nieghbour and asked had she got anything for the walkies, as luck would have it, she did, I soaked his hair in the nit lotion, gave him some hot lemon for his his cold and fell a sleep for several hours. When he woke,and we talked about his holiday, I asked him, who he was hanging around with, his name,and who else you know like you do.,and the name that kept coming up was a certain little boy,whose family was well known to all agencies, I went and knocked on her door, and asked, had she had time to check her sons hair, oh my giddy aunt, the air was blue to put it mildly, she didn't need to check his hair, the school did, it before they went, why did she need to, to so I explained about my son, and how he was, well the air was blue, and she was having non of it. I left, and went to my friend's house and said what had just happened, she told me that when the local beat bobby has to go there, he wipes his feet on the way out, and the best source of action was to speak to school and ask for nit nurse to visit, I did, but she said, some people will be helped and others wouldn't. Gave me some more nit lotion, special shampoo, and said keep checking his head.

• Options

My children both got nits at primary school. Their school was very proactive at letting parents know when there was an outbreak. I hated the experience. You can't help but feel you have failed in some way or that your hygiene standards are not up to scratch. I know that is not the case, but I couldn't help feeling that way.

• Options

Arggh i can still remember being treated as a child, with 5 sister's if one got them we where all treated for them every weekend for a month with prioderm? the really smelly one that brought tears to your eyes. And the metal fine tooth comb that pulled out your hair as it was combed. We where like a troop of monkey's mum doing the youngest then the oldest sister doing the next and so on. My now 4 year old has waist length hair and has had them once (touch wood) treated with Lyclear and all's good, she now goes to school in a tightly wrapped ballerina bun and has her hair checked weekly

• Options

I Remeber my daughter having nits and as soon as they were clear within a few weeks having them again to the point being a single mum at the time cash ran out, but i had some vodka left from christmas and decided to give  it a go being alcohol i figured if it didnt kill them it would get them drunk enough to comb them out, of course they combed out not sure to this day whether the vodka had any effect, the smell was better than headlice lotion though.

• Options

we had head lice on a couple of occasions. spent hours with a metal comb and a bottle of lotion carefully going through our daughters hair

• Options

I'm the mum of four little ones, we have been so lucky at school, others have caught head lice, but our four not, I ve been using the idea of conditioning and combing through their hairs every week, pulling out anything suspicious thinking if they were anything,, lice or eggs they wouldn't nest, seems to of worked up to now. I'm really not that bothered about my girls catching head lice, although i will tell them not to tell everyone at school they had them.

• Options

At the moment i am fed up of nits/lice.

daughter had them twice within a space of a few weeks last Nov.  second time was only a few days before our holiday.  she hates having her hair done, she really dislikes it.  when she returned to school last month, we got the letter to say her class had them again.  I expressed my concerns with the head because it seems the root of it isn't being sorted as in some parents are not checking/treating their child.  just typing this is making me itch all over.

• Options

Head lice were the bane of my life! I asked the school nurse and was told that as the kids were only at school for 6 hours (9-3) it was not a school problem but a 'community problem' - my kids only caught head lice once they started school! Did eventually get rid of them!

• Options

I had been lucky that neither of my kids had had headlice - that is up until a few weeks ago in the half term my 7 year old son started scratching his head. I never had headlice as a child although I remember my mother picking them out of my brother's hair when we were children. This is so long ago that I couldn't remember what they looked like. I started looking through my son's hair for black moving things or white eggs. Nope nothing. This went on for 3 days and i assumed perhaps he had an itchy scalp from a different shampoo we were using.

On the third day - this was 8.30pm on a Saturday night, he was scratching away so I got him to lean over the sink and put a bit comb through his hair. Oh my god wtf, I couldn't help letting out a little screech as this big almost see through thing dropped in the sink and was moving! I was mortified, this is what they look like? Not a tiny black thing that I assumed they looked like? They're huge and disgusting. Anyway so in absolute horror of what these things actually looked like I clkept combing and 6 came out. 6. My poor boy been scratching away for days because his stupid mother did not know what she was looking for. After making sure there was no more big disgusting crawling things I then saw the little black eggs stuck to his hair. So I thought to myself, the eggs are not white but black! Anyway it was getting late, kids were tired, I pulled out what I could which was surprisingly difficult and got the kids to bed. I thought to myself I might as well put the comb through my hair - even though I hadn't had an itchy head at all - so I stood leaning over the sink and dragged it through. Oh no way, here they come, 1 wriggling thing in the sink, I was mortified once more, kept combing and there's another. Honest to god I had 5 big lice wriggling in my sink. How can I have them without getting an itchy head? I was horrified and told my partner who I think was amused by it to be honest. Anyway the next morning being a Sunday I had to wait until 10am for the shops to open so I sat there dragging out each egg and oh my there was loads. I was feeling like such a bad mother for letting this happen and so stupid too. I was at Tesco bang on 10am and bought some spray that was just like spraying grease onto our hair. Remaining eggs came out easy enough and my son couldn't wait to tell his friends he had nits the next day. Yes really, I told him it be best not to but my son doesn't care. Next day as I'm walking from the school grounds past the headteacher who often watches the children leave - my son goes up to her and tells her he had nits. She's lovely and really down to earth and found it hilarious that he told her in front of another mother. I'm so glad I didn't tell my son that I too had headlice. 

Since this we have been nit free but I get an itchy head a lot - or I think I notice it more now and out comes the combe. 

Anyway, lessons learnt - headlice are not small black crawley things, eggs are not white, you can have them without itching and you should put a bit comb through your families hair regularly.

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions