Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell Aldi your tips that won’t break the bank for keeping kids busy this summer: win a £200 voucher

Replies

• Options
    Take the kids to visit free museums which are educational and learn something new while having fun and off to free country parks and enjoy a picnic for free. Our local park has free paddling pools and play area which is great on a hot day.
  • Options
    edited Jul 11, 2019 7:57PM
    Make a picnic and go to the beach or the park or the woods. Save coupons from cereal boxes and get money off days out and also google 'discount codes' i have saved loads of money using discount codes. Or put a big blanket on the grass in the garden and do some arts and crafts
  • Options
    We sign up for free craft sessions at Hobbycraft, a local church is offering a free half day camp for one week, then there is the summer reading challenge with the library (they have about 6 different associated events), then we aim to visit all our favourite parks, especially those with a splash pad, free local museums too, and, finally, we do gardening and water fights at home. These are all our free events I have identified so far, it will keep us busy at least half the summer holiday
  • Options
    Without a doubt get the best paddling pool you can afford and a few water squirters and that will be worth every penny! we couldn't afford to go away but got a good sized pool in the garden and my two were in it all day everyday, they loved it!
  • Options
    we cut out pictures of insects and bugs and then go on a nature trail to find them. We usually stick about 20 different insects, trees etc and the kids spend ages looking to see if they can find them. Followed by a nice picnic
  • Options
    Holidays can be so expensive, I’ve been putting a little bit of money away each month so that we can have a few good days out. The rest of the time to keep things cheap or free my top tip is to make good use of local facilities. We are lucky to live near the beach and a few parks. We often go for walks and collect interesting things we find, we can then use them to make pictures on rainy days we can’t get outside.
  • Options
    A treasure hunt with a little toy as a prize at the end :)
  • Options
    I take inspiration from the things my mum used to keep us occupied. Tents made from bed sheets in the garden, craft activities (including cutting out coloured paper to make animals which we stuck on the wall to make a zoo!), baking, obstacle courses (indoors or outdoors!) and generally getting out and about in nature.
  • Options
    Ask children to help write a grocery list or create a menu plan for the week. My kids loved bern on charge of the shopping list
  • Options

Plant a garden

Get kids out of the house and into a healthy pastime with gardening. Even small kids can help plant corn if you’ve got room, as it’s easy to grow. Or talk to your local gardening centre about fruits, vegetables, or flowers that are particularly easy to grow in your area.

Be sure to give the kids some autonomy over this project, to really let them get involved. They should be able to help choose the plants and the layout. But they should also be responsible for weeding, watering, and other garden maintenance. This is a great skill building activity that can also keep kids busy all summer long.

• Options
    I let them play in the garden or if we are in need of a treat I'll look for free events in my local area
  • Options
    Get them to think up a fun project with a number of tasks and outcomes.
  • Options
    My 2 year old loves playing with water so I keep him busy for hours with a water table that has small toys with it (didn't cost a lot) and it's great way for him to be outdoors having fun. He also loves water toys and squirters to splash everyone in sight and we get the hose out to let him wash the car as he loves to help with tasks at the moment. Great way to spend time outside especially on a hot day!
  • Options
    Decorating biscuits
  • Options
    Picnics, nature walks, bug hunting, visiting free local attractions and parks
  • Options
    Going to the park, getting notepads from Poundland for drawing, getting ingredients from Aldi to cook with and lots of interesting tv programmes to watch
  • Options
    Pack a picnic, a ball and some water guns. arrange a meet up with kids friends and off to the local park. Hours of fun.
  • Options
    Park is always a great free activity.
    Give the kids time whereby they have to amuse themselves too, they need to learn to be with themselves. Think time is as important as doing time
  • Options
    Take them on a nature trail and let them discover the wonder of nature. So many creatures can be found if you know where to look. Turn over a few stones or cut away a clod of grass and you will expose a myriad of tiny creatures eking out an existence. Then contrast this with how great their own lives are in comparison and send them to clesn their rooms!
  • Options
    Go exploring!  O.K., so maybe we're lucky with the coast, woodlands, and open countryside nearby, but the kids adore looking for and identifying wildlife, fossil-hunting (even chasing dinosaur footprints), and interpreting the history behind ancient castles.  I enjoy it too!
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions