Forum home Product Tests Sponsored discussions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tell SMA Careline your best parenting tips for new mums and dads: £200 voucher to be won!

Replies

• Options
    Have a good balance of keeping the children entertained and them entertaining themselves. Having a craft box can be really useful for their creativity to encourage them away from their tablets/tv/computers.  Happy children mean happy parents.
  • Options
    Routine helps both you and your child. Less stress if you plan ahead. 
  • Options
    Singing is one of the best ways to get a baby to respond and pay close attention to you. And it doesn’t matter what you sing or how good your voice is
  • Options
    Consider the advice of friends and family, but don't follow it slavishly.  Use your own judgement and conscience.  Spend time with the children (and enjoy it), help with their education (don't leave all that to the teachers), and, above all, listen to them. 
  • Options
    One of the biggest tips I would say personally,  is that life together as a couple will never be quite the same again. No just going out for the evening as before. Yes its great as a new parent but I think nothing totally prepares you for the big change in your relationship. Saying that its great, just different and can take some getting used to to start.
  • Options
    Never waste your time waiting for another person to help you. Do it !
  • Options
    Enjoy the experience of being parents, every moment is valuable.  They grow so quickly and you will never have the same experience again.  
  • Options
    Don't always listen to others as you know what it is best for your child!
  • Options
    Buy a carpet washer! You will always need this especially with babies and toddlers in Winter when its bug season!
  • Options
    Don't be shy to ask loved ones for help and advice.  My mum gave me invaluable advice and tips because of all her experience and I would have been lost without her.  Having breaks when family members can babysit for an hour or two provides great time to sort personal matters or just to have a much needed rest
  • Options
    Be grateful for every moment, the good and the bad and remember that there is no right way to do anything. No one is perfect, just do the best that you can and try not to compare yourself to others, although it can be hard. Just keep on loving your child and let them blossom.
  • Options
    Don't compare yourself to others. Batch cook to save yourself time. Sleep when you can! Get out for a little exercise daily.
  • Options
    Sleep when the baby sleeps - the housework can wait.

If friends and family offer to take the baby for a couple hours let them - its' amazing what you will get done!

Don't keep comparing the progress of your baby's development to others - they are all different so don't worry.
  • Options
    Do whatever you need to do to get through the first few weeks!
    and remember that 20 minutes is worth lying down for.
  • Options
    Make the most of the time as it will go so quickly. People will tell you this and you wont believe them but really it does. Be relaxed about the mess in the house etc and enjoy the time with them while they are young as you can't get it back!
  • Options
    use your gut instinct, dont feel you have to go by the book so to speak, dont buy too many clothes newborns dont need them!
  • Options
    listen listen listen and give as much love and encouragement as possible
  • Options
    Accept help from family & friends, don't feel that you have to do everything yourselves
  • Options
    Dont struggle and always ask for help if you need it
  • Options
    Batch cook food before you give birth so you always have a meal in the house. Also don't sweat the little things.
This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions