Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

July 2020 Babies

Replies

• Options
    @thinkingpositive1 I’m sure all will be fine with her hips. Fingers crossed you’ll get results soon. 

We only managed to get her weighed in today as the midwife offered and I said yes please. 
    I’m so glad her hearing is fine I had started to worry ... not that she was showing any signs of issues just me being me. We’ve been home since the day she was born. Here in the uk a midwife checks in on you for a few weeks after baby is born at home , just to make sure you have no issues and that baby is settling in nicely, then they discharge you from there care. Next step is a six week check up then 8 week jabs 😢😢 be prepared ladies the 8 week jabs are horrible for us to watch. But needed to protect baby. I cried when my son had his done I can see me doing the same agin with Ella. Not looking forward to my sons jabs next year. 
  • Options
    @MrsP13 thank you! 
    Oh I see! Its quite different over there. We only get midwives if we hire them ourselves. Glad her hearing is good, so relieving. 
    Yes I'm not looking forward to the jabs at all!!! Poor little things.. I know it's for their own good and wont remember but still ☹. 
    I'm hoping they let my husband in with me but lately they've had a 1 parent rule 
  • Options
    @thinkingpositive1 the one per ant rule is a big thing here too. My husband never attended my sons jabs so it’s not really made to much of a difference to us. But it would be nice to have someone there for support. Fingers crossed hubby can attend with you. 

Yesterday we had our first lot of smiles. So cute. A lot quicker than her brother lol 
  • Options
    Hey everyone, sorry I’ve been so quite. Just been super busy - as you know & been taking it all in! Lily’s now 2 weeks & 4 days old. Times going so bloody fast 😥 but also feels like forever!

I’m currently expressing & formula feeding, which is going well, just very time consuming when expressing, as I’m constantly sterilising after expressing!

she wakes twice in the night, every 3-4 hours which isn’t too bad. Think I might start to try doing the dream feed. Do any of you recommend it?

Hope your all doing well & babies are all blossoming perfectly 🥰🥰
  • Options
    @MrsP13 I hope so too but I'm not too concerned, like you said its nice for support and Aslo if I forget to ask or mention something!! 
    Aww that's adorable! Our little one has done some proper smiles a few times this last week too! I'm loving it! 
    Growing up so fast already! She is definitely getting longer as well. 

@Ellis90 yes it's so weird how time can go so quick and also very very slow!! That's not a bad sleep for her, hopefully it stays like that for you! 
    I have also pumped a few times and it really is annoying sterilizing everything after each time so I dont do it often. I tried dream feeding a few times, first time it worked and she didnt open her eyes and went back down with no fuss, but I think she has caught on and I havent been successful since then so i gave up lol. 
  • Options
    So today has been one of those days. It’s my mother-in-laws wedding day and to say the least I’m all ready thinking about sleep and we’ve only just finished the ceremony. 
    Ella has been amazing and slept loads. Jack however will not sit still for two seconds. I can’t wait to go home and sit still. But we’ve got some cute photos 

• Options
    edited Aug 23, 2020 2:17AM
    @MrsP13 omg how cute are your little ones!!! Ella really looks like her mummy! Absolutely adorable! You look really well too! Hope you got some good rest once you got home. 

• Options
    @thinkingpositive1 thank you. I’m still getting used to my mum body not happy with it at all. I know baby’s only 5weeks old but I’ve always been concerned about by tummy and photos from yesterday don’t help.
     Do you think she looks like me?? I’m still not sure haha. I know jack is deans double. We did get some good rest over the last couple days which was great. We’ve started our journey back today. Generally we can make this journey in about 7hours so we’ll see how long today takes. 
  • Options
    Mama2be9Mama2be9 Regular
    edited Aug 24, 2020 12:43AM
    @MrsP13 what adorable pictures of your little one! Love the purple plaid 😍 We have been meaning to take pictures everyday but never find the time or energy. We are a week and a half late taking her 1 month pictures. Ugh! Glad her little ears are ok! 

I think we have gotten a few smiles but not sure! Can’t wait until they start coming often!!

We have still been having a hard time with bouts of crying that are inconsolable. She just went through her first wonder leap at 5 weeks and every leap is preceded with lots of fuss and is hard for our little ones. But I don’t know if her crying is bc she’s overtired, or if it’s the witching hour, or if it’s purple crying, if it’s gas, if she has colic or what.... some days are easier than others. I do observe that if she’s awake too long she gets fussy and can be hard to console the longer she’s awake. She looks tired and yawns a lot. So we are trying to be aware of her wake windows and to try and get her to sleep before it’s too late! Elowynn is a big girl. We went to our naturopathic pediatrician and she is in the 96th 
    %ile for her height and length (1ft 10.5in), 83rd %ile for her weight (10lbs8oz), and 58th%ile for her head circumference! 

Hey and does anyone’s breast spray milk out?! I have a heavy let down and my left breast always sprays pour Elowynn in the face, poor thing! 😂🤦🏼‍♀️ 

@Chloe87 how’s the breastfeeding going? We’re you able to get any support from someone at the hospital? How are Olivia’s hips? We will be getting an ultrasound for Elowynn’s hips in a week or so bc of her frank breech position. 
  • Options
    @MrsP13 oh yes she definitely looks like you!! I am also having a hard time with body image, its something I've always struggled with.. I have no advice there lol.
    Hope your trip home went smoothly and both kiddos behaved well! 

@Mama2be9 sounds like she is growing very well!! The crying spells can be awful! I also find that when my baby is awake for too long she gets even more fussy and then she fights going to sleep.. she will keep drifting off and then a minute later wide awake again!! My mum said sometimes they cry just to cry which is frustrating when we are trying to calm them! Our baby girl doesnt have an appointment again until she is 2 months old which is the second week in September! She will be getting her vaccines then and I'm not looking forward to it AT ALL! 
    I have been looking into prolonging the vaccine schedule, so instead of getting 3-4 at once they will do a few at a time and have them spaced out so it doesnt overload her little system. 
    Hahaha yes, I have sprayed boobie milk all over my baby too! Sometimes she will pop off and the other day she got sprayed pretty badly !!!! 
  • Options
    Just wanted everyone’s opinions on picking baby up when they cry? Everyone keeps telling me I’m making a rod for my own back for picking her up every time she cries, but it’s so hard not to & I still think she’s very young to be left! 3 1/2 weeks old. 

• Options
    Don’t listen to those people, it’s quite an outdated practice to think that you spoil a baby by picking them up. 
    There are study’s that show the least amount of time a baby spends crying in the first 6months the easier they settle themselves as they get old and become less fussy. 
    I try to get to my little girl every time she cusses to avoid crying, as crying is baby’s last resort but sometimes it can’t be helped, especially with a 2year old running a round or you need the loo. 
    You do what you feel is right. If you want to pick up baby each time then do it nobody should make you feel bad for wanting to sooth your child. 

Sorry if that comes across strong it makes me mad when people honk they know better than you as a mum it’s your baby and you do what you feel is best for them and others should keep their noses out 
  • Options
    @MrsP13 thank you. Yes I agree it’s very annoying when people try to tell you or think they know better than you!! We are picking her up every time she’s cries - well the major of the time & she seems to stop once being picked up, so like you said she obviously wants to be Comforted!!

Currently awake & very tired 💤 expressing whilst bottle feeding, I feel like I’m in a milk coma 🍼🍼 
  • Options
    @Ellis90 they love to be conferred. They spend 9months being surrounded by you to then just leave them without anything is nor right in my opinion. 
    I don’t envy that at all. You mamas who express and feed are super heroes. I really didn’t like the feeling of her sucking in my boobs. I found it really uncomfortable. 
    Ella just slept from 10pm till 3am then hubby took over so I’m chuffed to have got a decent chunk of sleep. 
    Today hubby is in the office for the first time so it’s me and kiddies only all day 😱
  • Options
    @Ellis90 I’m so glad you’re still picking up your little one. I’ve read they don’t have the ability to self soothe until around 4-6 months so leaving them crying only tells them no one is there and their way of communicating isn’t working. We are in the 4th trimester and it’s so important for our babies to be with us and on us physically. That closeness is so comforting to them as they adjust to all this newness outside the womb. Hearing our breathing, heartbeat, stomach gurgles, smelling us, feeling our warmth which helps them regulate their own temperature etc. Skin to skin, wearing baby, holding and rocking, letting them sleep on your chest while you watch them, etc. All are so important and helps baby settle. They need us now so much and can only let us know by crying. 

@MrsP13 hope it goes well today on your own! My hubby went back to work starting last Friday but he’s been working from home except when he needs a better internet connection for a video conference. Then he’ll drive five minutes to the library and use their internet. Usually he’s only been gone for a few hours, but I’m basically on my own with Elowynn 4 days/week. I’m grateful he’s still at home mostly bc he gives me breaks to shower, brush teeth, he’ll help with a diaper change, he’ll make me food bc I am so busy with her I can miss eating and drinking, which could affect milk supply. So he helps a bit here and there. It makes such a difference ❤️🙏
  • Options
    Mama2be9Mama2be9 Regular
    edited Aug 26, 2020 1:06PM
    The past 3 days have been such a breeze with Elowynn! Maybe her increased fussing was from the first leap at week 5, which ended Sunday. She’s been easier to console, easier to get to sleep, more content when wakeful! It’s been so lovely! I’ve also been getting her to sleep consistently after she’s been awake about an hour to an hour and a half and that has seemed to help so much from keeping her from getting overtired and overstimulated! It’s been so nice! Feels like a routine of some sort has begun 😄She’s been cluster feeding a lot too which seems to help with her fussiness. I guess there is a 6 week growth spurt though where there can be an increased amount of crying so we will see. She’s six weeks Thursday! So we will enjoy this time while it lasts until the next growth spurt or leap!! Lol 🤦🏼‍♀️❤️

She’s also been more alert and interested in the world around her! So nice to see! I also got this app called Baby Sparks which gives you activities to do with your baby that are age appropriate and help develop her skills! I don’t really know what to do with her or what toys are appropriate so this has helped me do small things with her during her wake windows that help her be engaged and also helps me engage with her in ways that will stimulate her. It’s been great!! 

Have you all been doing tummy time with your little ones? I just started this week bc I didn’t know it was something that is helpful to do daily! 
  • Options
    Hello everyone, can you help us please? We have a new mum who is really struggling with breastfeeding on this thread - can anyone help? 
  • Options
    @Mama2be9 @MrsP13 thanks so much for the replies. I feel so much better every time I pick her up now - slightly smug ☺️☺️ 
  • Options
    @Ellis90 🥰 I’m glad you feel better. That’s one thing I’m so grateful for with this group. Someone always to help you understand a question listen to your question or feel better about a decision. 🤩
  • Options
    I agree to picking baby up when she cries! My hubby always says to me, cant you just listen to her cry for 5min?! And no.. no I cant! Especially when I can hear she is very unhappy she is a little magnet and I just have to pick her up and comfort her! She usually stops crying as soon as I pick her up so I know she needed me! And I feel good knowing I am her comfort. She has been soooo smiley and giggly the last few days especially and i am even more in love with her than before which I didnt know was possible 🥰. 
    We have been doing tummy time since we got home from hospital, mostly just laying with her face down on my chest, she has gotten very strong within the last week also! She holds her head up for a few min at a time now and is looking all around her!